11 Oct 2010

Kiss My Sweet (Potato) Ass, Jessica Seinfeld!

7 Comments Cooking/Baking, Nutrition

Okay, so whenever Jessica Seinfeld was on Oprah with her book Deceptively Delicious, when was it?  Two years ago?  Anyway, whenever that was, I watched and I ran out of the house, straight to Target and bought the book.  Garrett was probably a year old and I was already worried about how to get vegetables into his food.  Are kids eating solids at a year old?  I swear to god, I don’t even remember.  It’s like as soon as I move on to the next phase, I forget what the last phase was. But that’s not the point.  The point is that I ran out and bought the book and was so impressed and like, “Wow!  What a cool freaking idea! I can’t wait until I can go get all this equipment and start puree’ing veggies and sneaking them into all of my son’s food!”

So a year goes by and I really want to try one of the recipes, but I still don’t have any of the equipment and it’s too close to dinner to start steaming and puree’ing a bunch of beets and spinach.  So what do I do?  I run to the grocery store and buy a bunch of the organic baby food veggies I used to feed Garrett!  That’s right!  Baby food.  It’s organic.  It’s vegetables. It’s already pure’ed. Done. I came home and made the chicken nuggets on page 75, and you know what?  It was the first time I ever made GOOD chicken nuggets!  I had tried so many times in the past, and failed.  But these?  These were delish!! I’ve made them several times since, and they are always, always a hit.  I usually mix in squash or sweet potato, but sometimes I try a little peas or spinach.  You have to be judicious.

So now, I always have a full stock of baby veggies in my cabinet.  I put them in my pancakes, my nuggets, and now I buy Annie’s Macaroni and Cheese and, instead of adding any milk, I just put in a jar of squash with some butter and the cheese. Garrett LOVES it!  I’m fortunate that Garrett eats some peas and broccoli and carrots even when they’re not hidden, but this way I know he’s getting veggies even if he’s not in the mood for them.  I even add flax meal whenever I can, like to quick-breads, any bread/coating on fish or chicken, pancakes, etc.  Flax adds fiber and omega 3’s, and I actually really like the flavor.  Kinda nutty.  Yes, like me.

My point is this:  I try to be a good mom.  I try to be the best mom.  But I can only be the best mom I can be.  And I ain’t gonna stand in my kitchen every Sunday night with loads of fresh vegetables; steaming, cooling, puree’ing, bagging, and freezing them.  What I can and will do is buy the damn baby food and use it in the exact same way.  So there!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Related Posts

7 Responses to “Kiss My Sweet (Potato) Ass, Jessica Seinfeld!”

1. Reply Pam says:

lol…so then I guess I really was crazy when everyone told me I was when i used to make my own baby food…..lol……but then again I was a stay at home mom so I had the time. From one mom to another….you do what you can do to get your kid to eat healthy…..organic baby food….thats a brilliant idea…..way to go mommy!! Oh and Annies is a staple in my house. Between eating organic & trying to be “green” whole foods loves us (amongst a zillion online stores).
    Loving the blogs btw……have a great night!!

Pam, I SO thought I’d make my own baby food. Alas, it never came to pass. I guess I just saw the dang organic baby food, already prepared and bottled and all and thought, “If someone already went through all that just so I could have it in my home…” Kudos to you for actually doing it!

Tracy, yes! You must get the flax meal! It’s genius!! Just be careful to ease into it if you’re going to put in on cereal. It’s high in fiber. Very high. In fiber. See what I’m getting at there? But I love, love, love it! And in baked goods, it’s the best. I bet if you’re using it instead of eggs, it’s fantastic.

2. Reply Tracy K says:

I saw that Oprah and thought the same thing! Now I have to dig up the book and try some recipes. Already have the organic baby food in the house for Leah (which btw Brandon loves to eat the peas and carrots). Like Garrett, Brandon likes some veggies even when not pureed or hidden, but more veggies is always a good thing! Now I gotta get some flax meal (which I heard is a great egg replacer too!)

How about shareing some of your recipes? I don’t have any little ones but I do have a special needs adult son that it is hard to get him to eat veggies. He is 38 in years but between 6 and 12 months mentally. I love reading your stories. They are great!

4. Reply Meri says:

That mac and cheese idea is perfect! When Jax is up to mac and cheese, I am going to have to try that! I thought I would make my own baby food too, and sometimes Jackson does try a bit of what I have cooked for Sean and I, but mostly I should just buy stock in Earth’s Best and Stonyfield Farms.

I keep feeding Jax jars of organic fruits, veggies, or veggie/meat/grain combos and I realize that I am feeding the kiddo way better than I am feeding myself! Then, again, that is why I am seeing a nutritionist at this point, because I want to become a good example for him before he notices what a slouch his Mommy can be nutritionally speaking!

Meri, isn’t it funny how we eat things we would NEVER feed our kids? Good for you for going to a nutritionist to sort it out! Having Garrett has actually made me eat healthier than I used to, and I’ve always eaten pretty dang healthy. But having him has also made me enjoy going out for ice cream and having cake now and then… Something I had rarely done before.

Cristen, I shall find my banana bread recipe and post it! I have some other recipes coming up, too. In the meantime, I’m sure the pumpkin bread recipe I posted would work great with just bananas!! I’ll try to get to it today though.

5. Reply MammothMom says:

I second the motion of adding recipes to your blog! I have about 8 ripe bananas just asking to be used in bread…and I know you MUST have a secret to delicious banana bread that will have my family asking for more. Please, PLEASE do not make me resort to my mother-in-law’s recipe! AACK!! (tribute to comic strip Cathy).