23 Oct 2010

What is your favorite childhood Halloween memory?

Mine is of my dad, MY DAD, making my Raggedy Ann costume. I don’t know exactly how old I was, but I think around six or seven. I desperately wanted to be Raggedy Ann for Halloween, and for some reason my father made me the costume. It was so perfect. I don’t remember feeling anything but great pride that he had made it for me. The hair was a shower cap with red yarn. The outfit was exactly right. I had the striped socks and everything. I remember that year I started trick-or-treating around 4:00 in the afternoon because I couldn’t wait to get my costume on. I think my dad humored me by coming out with me. No one was ready. No one had candy. Several people laughed. We went back home and went out again at dark. I remember feeling very lucky.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Related Posts

1. Reply Twi_covenmom says:

My favorite memory of when I was 5 was my sister who’s 12yo than me got one of my mom’s sheets and cut eye holes in it so I could be a ghost. She took me to get candy from the neighbors houses. The best part of that memory was that we weren’t allowed to celebrate Halloween and she wanted me to go cuz she felt I was missing out cuz our mom let her celebrate cuz she wasn’t religious when she was little.

Very clever that she disguised you since you weren’t allowed to trick-or-treat! Sounds like a great memory.

2. Reply M.L.E. says:

Mine is of my dad making me the COOLEST Jaws costume out of a couple cardboard boxes, painted perfectly…I looked exactly like the movie poster, with the shark going up with his mouth open and teeth ready to chomp some unsuspecting swimmer (btw, that’s where my face peeked out from, the shark’s mouth)…I must have been 7 or 8, and I have no idea why the hell I wanted to be Jaws…I wasn’t into scary stuff, and of course I was too young to see the movie. But just to watch my dad spend all this time crafting what ended up being so amazing looking. I even won a prize at my school’s Halloween parade, and I NEVER won prizes back then. Good times.

I was around 7 years old and we didn’t have the money for a costume. So my dad put one of his old plaid shirts on me, put dirt on my jeans, put a hat on me, and made a pole with some fabric at the end to look like all my possessions were in it. He put some grease on my face and took me trick or treating. It was a blast 🙂

MORE dads making costumes! This is bizarre! That’s adorable. I like that you were broke so he made you a hobo. I’m sure you didn’t recognize the irony at the time.

4. Reply Robbie says:

One year my cousin Stewart and I had two costumes each, and halfway through the night we changed into our second costumes and went back to all the houses giving out “good” candy to get second helpings. I remember one place in particular was giving out the GIANT pixy stix. Kid heaven!

THAT IS GENIUS! Why have I never heard of this idea before?? I’m going to let my son in on this trick when he’s a little older. BRILLIANT. I thank you.

I have many vivid Halloween memories from childhood. I most recall that costumes were homemade, and therefore absolutely unique. My mom made me everything from a gypsy to a hobo to a playboy bunny to the Ace of Spades. I remember that she gave up her favorite gold curtains for my gypsy skirt. She burned the end of a cork to make my hobo face authentically dirty. She made my bunny tail out of so many cotton balls that sitting was impossible. And the Ace of Spades was made of two sheets of what we used to call oak tag but now is called poster board connected together with a set of my dads suspenders.

As I got older, my costumes were oft own creation. In highschool, my all girl Catholic high school, I was a hooker, a gangster, a pink lady, and my favorite, and that year’s contest winner, an Italian grandma, complete with white bun, big sloppy boobs, housedress, sweater and rosary beads.

As an adult, And a mother, Halloween became about Kate’s costumes. At 6 months old she was a banana. Then a poodle skirted sock hopper. Then a devil. Next came Snow White, a witch, a lady bug, and I think an angel. Once she was Dorothy complete with Toto and red sparkly slippers. Then a Medieval princess and last year a vampire. Bill and I always dress up along with her and have been bugs, devils, royalty and vampires. We even get our dog involved, although she isn’t fond of costumes, especailly when they have hats.

Within the last three years, Halloween became an anniversary of sorts. Three days before Halloween, in 2007, I was diagnosed with advanced cervical cancer. But Kate needed the normalcy of Halloween so I costumed up and we trick or treated for three hours then went home and ate all the candy we could. That year we carved extra pumpkins and went on extra hayrides and when the neighborhood bullies stole and destroyed kate’s Jack o Lantern on mischief night I chased their asses down the street with a bat and the next morning we had several pumpkins to replace what they took and smashed. I will do anything for my little Dorothy princess angel devil vampire girlie. I will fight bullies, whether they be on my street or in my body. This Halloween will be the fourth since my diagnosis. I remain cancer free, and can make more Halloween memories with and for my daughter, and that is the best Halloween treat I could dream of.

Adorable and lovely as usual. I bet every holiday holds more meaning for you now than they ever did before. A kid will do that for you. I’m sure going through what you’ve been through does it for you tenfold. I started hating Halloween in my mid-20’s and started loving it again as soon as Garrett was born. Funny how that happens.

Trick or Treat in Klamath Falls, Oregon circa 1950’s….COLD, usually snowing or at least frozen roads, which meant slippery steps to manuever to front doors in hopes of treats. In the “olden” days, that meant homemade treats, popcorn balls, apples (which smashed the popcorn balls into “sticky bits”)…penny suckers and little sacks of actual pennies, were popular. Costumes were re-cycled from our parents rag bins and a rubber mask were our signature duds. By the end of the night, the rubber mask was dripping with condensation and our faces were freezing…it was time to go home!

It was more fun, for me, with our kids…Kirstan always wanted homemade costumes and for Erik, the ultimate costume was the “box” type, purchased from the variety store. Erik was typecast even then…super hero! Kirstan began as a Hobo, advanced to a Geisha girl and the most memorable one was Pippy Longstocking, complete with braids that stuck out at right angles from her head…(designed by Dad). MY all time favorite was the year we made a Harlequin Clown outfit for both Kirstan AND her horse…black to white…it was amazing…we have NO pictures as we were having so much fun at the horse show!

Erik’s only homemade costume that I remember was in junior high when we rigged up a grass hula skirt cinched around his forehead and put a rubber duck, decoy on his head…he went as a duck blind…and won the contest! It’s the country…..what did you expect? Happy Halloween and safe tricks and treats!

7. Reply flawlessmom says:

Fantastic. You never disappoint. Digging the duck blind costume! Hilarious. I need to start thinking of gags like that. I like going out dressed in normal clothes, so anything I can do to accomodate that is good!

8. Reply Tracy K says:

Halloween has definitely gotten better since Brandon was born. The first year he was a monkey that was UNBELIEVABLY adorable! But last year was the best. It was the first year we went trick or treating with him. He wasn’t quite two so he didn’t really get why we were going from house to house, but he LOVED knocking on all the doors and saying hi to everyone. He was running from house to house with my giant, pregnant butt by his side. :). It was so fun to see his excitement. Of course we gave away all the candy he collected (he can’t eat any of it because of his peanut and egg allergies) but it was fun going house to house.

OMG! Does he get any kind of substitute treats? Why do I think he comes home to some kind of fresh-baked eggless, nutless cake creation? So great.

9. Reply Tammy says:

Hi Lisa, my favorite halloween memory isn’t of me, but of my son. My Oldest daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was4, so we didn’t have a lot of money to spend on costumes for the kids that year….so…I decide i would make the costumes, no I couldn’t sew but i had a glue gun!! My son wanted to be a tombstone, so I made a huge cardboard box tumbstome with ghouls coming out, moss hanging off…it was awsome!!! UNTIL!!! He fell down walking to a door and couldn’t stand back up…LOL!! It was sooo funny, it took me and about 3 other people to get him back into the “upright” position!! I still love halloween, but I have been “forbidden” to make my grandkids costumes!! :0)

I totally pictured that and it’s hilarious!!! I love it.
      I am hoping with all my heart that your daughter got well.

My favorite Halloween memory was when I was child back in the 50’s my cousin and I went trick or treating and hit almost every house in the town. That was when we could get the home made treats. It was a small town where everyone knew everyone.

Oh, how I wish times were like that now. (Without all the bigotry, racism and womanizing, of course!) How did we get so far away from the safety of neighborhoods, everyone knowing their neighbors, and people giving out HOMEMADE TREATS for Halloween!!! I’m sad that it’ll never be like that again. What kind of homemade stuff? Popcorn balls? Brownies?

• Reply Norma Lamothe says:

Sorry I never replied to you. I wish neighborhoods could be safe again. We live in an apartment abd we had no trick or treaters this year at all. Home made stuff was popcorn balls, fudge, brownies, cookies, my favorite, was one of the ladies made little chocolate cake like cookies and put cream filling in the middle. They were so good.