18 Nov 2010

38, 39… 40!

11 Comments Personal Crap

My birthday is looming. I’m going to be 39 on Tuesday, November 23rd. It’s my last year before 40. When the fuck did I become an adult? Seriously. I’m not kidding. How did this happen? I have a kid. I’ve been married 10 and a half years. I pay bills and own a house and bag boys call me ma’am.

I remember my dad saying to me many years ago that in his head, he stopped aging at 26. He said he always felt 26 and never thought he was a day older, until he looked in the mirror. I can totally relate to that. And, I don’t know if it’s the power of suggestion, but 26 is the age I feel, too. I’m happier now than I have ever been in my life. I feel secure, proud, self-aware, and fulfilled. But I just don’t understand how I’m almost 39. I know it’s “just a number” and all, but it’s a number that represents the fact that I’m getting old, um… older.

So, this upcoming birthday is making me think of things I miss from my younger days. I really don’t look back that much, because of how good I feel about my life now. But I thought it might be fun to remember things I used to do, that I might do again someday, like when Garrett is in his 20’s.

*In my mid-twenties I was in a morning bowling league with my mom, my best friend (at the time), and her mom. My average was 147, but I often bowled in the 170’s. I enjoyed watching the women bowl, most were in their 50’s or so. And some were drunk by 9:00 AM.

*In my early twenties, I used to wait tables until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, then go out for Grand Slams and coffee and stay up until after 4:00AM and sleep until noon.

*When Russ and I first moved in together, we would walk to Jerry’s Famous Deli for late-night meals a couple times a week. I’d eat a chocolate chip danish from there almost every night. If I did that now, I’d be three sizes bigger.

*Russ and I would spontaneously go to Vegas for a few days at least four times a year. One of us would say, “Hey! You wanna go to Vegas tonight?” And the other would say, “Uh, Yeah. Do we have anything going on in the next few days?” Then we’d realize we didn’t. I’d get on line and look for a deal, we’d nap and at 2:00AM, we’d drive to Vegas. We’d get there around 6:00, have breakfast, get our room , nap and gamble, eat and play for a couple days. Good times.

*I used to watch TV for hours on end. Oh, wait. That was just a few years ago. I remember it fondly.

*I used to go to movies. Russ and I would go to a theater, get popcorn and sodas, and watch a movie. I’ve gone to three in the last two years. Garrett doesn’t like movies in theaters yet. Soon. Very soon.

*I used to go out “drinking”. My friends and I would sit at a bar, order a drink, and wait for guys to buy us more drinks. Then we’d eat and talk and maybe dance. Now I drink much, much less. And mostly at home.

*I would go to the beach and get tan. Really tan. I’d put on a freaking bikini and lay out in the sun for hours, with a boom box, some junk food and SPF 4 or baby oil. Those were the days when we didn’t know how bad that was for you. I kind of wish we’d never found that out.

*Parties! I was always going to, or hosting a party. They were happening all the time! Even weeknights! Booze, chips, dip, loud music, making out… Constantly.

*I was on stage all the time. I was always in a show, especially during the summers. I’d write and perform with a group of friends in a theater we’d rent and almost always sell out. I was so creatively driven back then.

Now that I’ve typed all that, I’m feeling even better about NOW. I like this time of my life a lot better. But I did love the times before. It’s nice to know that, through each phase, I’ve been happy. I’m blessed that way. And I’m sure when G is older, Russ and I will go back to doing some of those late nights and spontaneous Vegas trips. But I am so grateful for what we do and where we are now. And I certainly don’t want to rush to the next phase. Okay, 39. Bring it. I’m ready for a beautiful year.

Tags: , ,
Related Posts

11 Responses to “38, 39… 40!”

1. Reply Tweets that mention 38, 39… 40! -- Topsy.com says:

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Allison, Lisa Arch. Lisa Arch said: I'm gonna be 39 on Tuesday. New post: http://t.co/bI1PB9e via @flawless_mom […]

I am older than you. I will be 40 in March. I don’t feel it at all. I still have a younger mind set while having actually grown up. While I don’t like the big 4 0 #, I like the way I feel at this age. Like I know myself more. We are definitely not old and you really do look so much younger. Your very beautiful and funny. That keeps you young! I hope you have the best birthday ever 🙂

3. Reply Myranda says:

I am 26…halfway to 27 and I think back to just 6 years ago when I was able to stay out all night (because living in New Olreans, that is a must) and getting only a few hours of sleep before having to go to work. Granted once I actually had finished with my training and was looked at to help work on, fix, and one day fly in a multi million dollar helicopter, I was not going out until 4 or 5am unless it was the weekend and only if I didn’t have to work. Once I had my own apartment and bills and had to actually manage my money (sometimes made me wish I still lived on base and didn’t have to pay for electric or rent) and be responsible, I couldn’t believe how grown up I was. I have now been married for 3 years, we have 2 dogs, I bought/paid off/own my car, we bought a house and I have 15 classes to finish till I get my BA in Psychology…I love my life!

Girl, you are WAY ahead of the game!! Holy cow, you got your stuff together young!! Hope those 15 classes go smoothly!

4. Reply Jenn says:

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a most blessed birthday!!

My 30th birthday is Sunday! I feel everything you wrote in your blog about age!

xo

Happy Birthday Lisa!!

I have a few years on you, so can understand how you feel. It was interesting to read the comment your father made about feeling 26. I always have said that I feel no different than when I was 25. I will turn 51 on December 15th but still enjoy many, many of the same things as when I was 25. I still rock!

The best part of turning older is that you become much more comfortable in your own skin. You learn what makes you happy and you learn to discard so much bullshit in life. A few pounds and a few wrinkles are signs of a life well lived.

One of my favorite sayings is about not leaving behind a well-preserved corpse, but sliding into heaven sideways, wrinkles and all and saying, damn that was fun!

Enjoy each phase of your life. You only get to experience it once. I have loved my life no matter what age I am. I wish you the same happiness and blessings!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Beautifully put. And now, more than ever, I am CONSTANTLY saying, “Damn that was fun!”
      Great comment! Thank you. 😉

6. Reply Tracy K says:

I so relate to this post. I often think about all the great (drunk) times of my early 20s and think how much fun I had. But, like you, these times are so much more fulfilling and blessed. I wouldn’t trade my life now for anything.
    But also, let me just say that Aaron and I went to Vegas in September to celebrate his 35th birthday, sans kids. It was our first real away trip without kids. IT WAS INCREDIBLY AWESOME!! We haven’t really had time to connect like that in three years. The freedom to sleep in or have sex without interruption or, hell, have a conversation without interruption. It was so wonderful! (The kids are asleep usually by 7:30 or 8, but it’s not the same after a long day of work and the kids) We drove to save money and have lots of time in the car to talk and connect. It was awesome! Did I mention how great it was? So, my point is that if you have a place for G to stay for a weekend or a couple of days (we went Sun-Tues to get better hotel deals) give yourself a Vegas trip soon with Russ. It’ll recharge your batteries like crazy. At least it did for Aaron and I (for each other and for the kids). And winning 500 bucks didn’t suck!!

NICE!!!!! That sounds fantastic. I love that you guys did that. THAT is how marriages stay fresh. Russ and I are taking a 24-hour Romance Sabbatical this coming weekend for my bday. It won’t be exactly the same as going away… But I’m very excited about it. Vegas? Very soon.