11 Dec 2010

What is your best, worst, or funniest holiday memory?

Mine is from nine or ten years ago, and it’s the best and the worst!  Russ and I were newlyweds and still living in our town house. We had tickets to go to Oregon for the holidays to be with Russ’ family for a week. And then we both got the flu. We were miserable!! We canceled our trip and bunked in our apartment. I’m sure we were a little relieved, just because we both hate to fly. But I remember us both being very sad we weren’t going to see Russ’ family or open gifts by his mom’s big Christmas tree, or be surrounded by all of her decorations, or eat cinnamon rolls Christmas morning. We only got to see them once or twice a year, and since my family didn’t really celebrate Christmas, this was a pretty big let down.

So we weren’t going anywhere and we were very sick. We stayed in our apartment watching TV and eating soup. Then came Christmas. I must have been feeling a tad better because I got the makings for a meager Christmas dinner: Ham, biscuits, etc. And then came a Christmas miracle. My parents asked if they could spend Christmas with us. Really? We were surprised. Didn’t they have a Barbara Streisand movie to see? Chinese food to eat? (Typical Jewish Christmas traditions.)

About an hour later my folks showed up, we ate a hearty meal and then we sat down to watch A Christmas Story. We were laughing and having the best time. It actually started to feel like Christmas. We finished watching the movie and then sat around and talked for a while, and ate some more. Then they left, and Russ and I felt all warm inside. It was such a great, impromptu, cozy, happy, and yummy Christmas. We felt blessed and joyful. It will always be one of my favorite memories.

NOW TELL ME YOURS!!!

1. Reply Twi_covenmom says:

My memory is funny. One year I bought my sister a knock off Gucci purse. She opened up her gift and said “oh you got me a Gucky purse!” I told her “no it’s pronounced Gucci” then her reply was “oh it’s a coochie purse!” *facepaml* I replied “I said Gucci not coochie!”. My sister then said “oh what’s a coochie then?” After that we had to explain to my then 42yo sister what the word coochie meant and all of this was captured on video lol

I have to admit that everyone with my son has been my favorite. The joy on his face when we do all our traditions. Such as playing the CLR game. He loves it when he or his grandma wins the money. From eating the food, opening the presents, and celebrating Jesus’s birthday. It just doesn’t get better! We are very blessed 🙂

It’s so good to be aware of how blessed you are. I agree. The holidays with kids is a whole new bag. I’m loving it!!

3. Reply The Goto Guy says:

All the presents were opened… a bountiful haul already scored by the brothers Iseman… then my mom called me up to the dining room to help her clean up from breakfast… being the grateful and dutiful son that I am, I whined and kept playing with my shiny new toys. Then, my older bro yelled down that I needed to help… because I didn’t want to be punched, I dragged my ass up… and they were holding a brand new Black BMX Mongoose. Top 5 xmas gift I ever received done in the #1 fashion… they got me. Damn, I loved that bike. My parents are the bees knees.

THAT IS THE COOLEST STORY!!! I don’t know what I love more; that story or the fact that you commented on my blog. I think it’s a tie.
      I love surprises like that. They’re truly moments you remember for your entire life. Thanks for sharing that!!

I have been lucky to have many, good and funny Christmas celebrations, but one that will forever be the most memorable for me was four years ago, as all of our immediate family and several friends were opening gifts on Christmas Eve. As we watched our two grandsons opening their gifts, my husband was opening one, rather large present from our son and daughter-in-law, to us. Angela is a supurb photographer and had filled an actual plastic tub with framed, candid shots of our family, in particular, our two grandsons over the previous year. Each photograph was more amazing than the last, and, as each one was handed to me by my husband, Stan, I was happily doing “show and tell” with commentary. The last one, I remember Stan showing it first, to our son with a questioning look, then handed it over to me….a simple, tiny, silver frame with the words, “To be filled next summer” and decorated by baby themed stickers!

I was speechless as first, then as the realization dawned that our third grandbaby was on the way…I began to blubber, and shreek, OMG! OMG! I was caught completely off guard, totally, unbelievably unaware! I wouldn’t admit to any of this unseemly behavior except one of our friends was taping the whole thing! Everyone, it seemed, except my husband and myself knew about the big surprise…so they all had quite a laugh at my expense….but the laugh was on them when Aidan, our third grandson, made his appearance August 11th, 2007…another fabulous child added to the family.

Yes, I admit, I am hopelessly lame when it comes to family….

Um, lame?? I think you are quite the opposite of lame. That’s a wonderful story. There’s nothing like hearing someone you love is preggers. And there’s nothing like TELLING the people you love that you’re preggers! I’ll have to tell the story of how I told my folks one day soon.

It’s also so great to know that you were THAT excited even though it wasn’t your first grandchild. I guess it never gets old!!

5. Reply Sara says:

I don’t celebrate Christmas, but grew up in a smallish Midwestern town where everyone else did (almost literally – there was another Jewish kid one year older than me and a Muslim kid two years younger at my school). So, the year I was 3 (almost 4) I told my parents that we should get a Christmas tree so Santa would visit (not sure I wanted presents or not, just Santa. Probably cookies). So…they told me Santa was pretend and it was really your parents and you should (basically) celebrate your individuality and such. Cue the next day at school. We were sitting in a circle probably talking about what we wanted for Christmas or gluing Santa beards on paper and I piped up that Santa was pretend anyway, this was dumb, and I did not want to do any more Christmas.

I don’t actually remember any of this, but when I run into any of my classmates from that year around this time of year they all remind me that I ruined Christmas. Ooops. Someone would have told them eventually, right??

I was laughing my ASS off when I read this!!! OMG! To be such a minority already and then to do THAT to your classmates. My gosh! I don’t know why I’m so tickled by this. It’s awful and hilarious all at the same time. So great. THANK YOU!!

• Reply Sara says:

Turns out, if you don’t want your slightly (very) precocious kid telling all the other kids whatever you told them, you have to be more explicit. I even got sent home! I also dropped out of Brownies a few years later when they insisted I make a Christmas Tree from a Reader’s Digest. My activism started early. 🙂

I’m glad you got a kick out of this…I still shake my head about it. I do feel bad that I ruined Santa for 17 or so kids. Ooops.

I hope you feel better! If it makes you feel any better, I cried twice today. First time, reading Corduroy (the one where he’s in a basket at the laundrymat and says “I never wanted to live in a cage”) and again on the bus on the way home for no apparent reason.

6. Reply Ange says:

I was thinking about this at breakfast and it came to me WORST!!!!!
    5 yes roughly Ago friends planned a trip to Sydney .. Left Brisbane to Sydney
    And it was v v v early!!!! Only an hr flight btw!!!!
    Anyways, I hear staying with family friends automatically I’m like WTF happened to hotels… So get to this house and it’s ok well they were old ppl
    I nearly died!!!!!!! Not that there old but the old moth ball smell!!!!
    I cried the first night to go home that I’m depressed and whoever will pick me up from the airport hence the car at home… I’ll pay 20.00 … No takers I’m like fine leave me in this shit ass wiped hole crap place…. I just relies I swear a lot! So sorry!!!
    Back to it….. Mine u I was 19… And crying … It rained the first night so I stead of going out friends wanted to sit talk etc I wNted to get out!,,,,,, hell hole!!!!!!!
    At this point I. Scared to go in the covers stink like moth balls!!!!
    I went to bed early! It was freezing!!! So once I get to the city I’m happier I’m ok
    But no really I was depressed it was boring I did a lot of shit walking!!! Me and my sister were bagging the shit of ppl!!! Quiet hilarious !!!!
    Anyways came Sunday morning I turn the shower on and and it’s frreeeeeezing water
    At this point I’m half dead… Yelling at my sister WTF is with this shower
    Ok so old people are a little def right?
    Anyways thanks goodness I Monday came and I stepd on that plane like there was no tomorrow!!!!! Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed home
    Ok long but sorry!!!! Apologize for the bad words but what I was feeling
    And not that I haven’t gone to Sydney since..

HOTeL PPL next time!!!!!!!!! Gosh

Best and Worst was Christmas 2007. That was the year that I didn’t know if I’d live to see Christmas. Kate was 7, and I was determined to give her Christmas even though I had chemo on Christmas Eve and a surgery two days before that, and felt like shit. My mom and Dad and my sister and my Gram all came to my house, grim faced and terrified for me. Mom made her famous chicklen cacciatore, which I wasn’t much able to eat even though I love it so. I spent the the day curled up on the couch in my PJs, mostly passed out. But every time I opened my eyes, and saw my daughter, my husband, my family, and my tree that Kate decorated for me, I knew I was blessed. Every time I opened my eyes that day and realized I made it to Christmas, I knew that I could beat the cancer, knew that I would see many more Christmas mornings with my daughter and my husband. Every time I opened my eyes, and Kate was sitting beside me, holding my hand or stroking my hair, I said a prayer of gratitude. That was the year I really learned that Christmas was not about the decorations, the shopping, the food or the presents. That was the year that being alive was the greatest gift. I still feel that way today. I stress so much less now about what to cook, what Kate will wear, and if our PJs and our wrapping paper match the decorations on the tree. Now its just about being together, being alive and well, loving each other and sharing the day together. Did I know the true meaning of Christmas before I had cancer? I like to think that I did. But I didn’t begin to live it until I didn’t know if I would live. Having cancer, strangely enough, was my Christmas miracle, one I remember still with all the awe and wonder of the Christmas season.

Christine,
      I read this yesterday and it hasn’t left my mind. I just can’t even put into words how intense it is to read that. I’m so happy for you and so sad that you ever had to endure that. The beauty is that you healed, and that you were able to take so many important lessons from your painful and traumatic experience. I pray that you will only know joy at the holidays (and the rest of the time!) from now on.

I don’t remember the worst or funny but the best is only 7 days away. The end of August my husband got real sick. We were told that there was no way he was going to survive and we needed to accept it. I don’t really accept anything from Dr’s. I cam home and got on face book and begged everyone to please say a prayer for him. And asked that they put him on prayer list through out the world. He was on a ventilator for 5 days ans in the ICU for 7 days. He was put in a regular room and came home on the 8th day. He is back to work and is doing pretty good. This is our best Christmas ever because we were told he would not be here and he is. Now they tell me this could be his last Christmas. We will see about that!!! Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas to all.

Oh my gosh!!! I can’t imagine hearing that news. I’m so happy for your family that you were blessed and that he is with you this holiday, and hopefully many, many more. I can’t imagine a greater gift. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!