16 Dec 2010

No More Naps

9 Comments Toddler

Oh dear god. I think it’s for real this time. No more naps. We made it three years and almost three months of blissful, three-hour naps daily. But now he goes in there, sits for a bit, then calls me. I kiss him. I leave. He calls me five minutes later. Then it’s time to admit he’s not going to nap and I give him a book or DVD, he sits in there a little longer and then it’s over. It’s over.

And just in time for his three week break from school!!!

We’re lucky his naps lasted as long as they did. A LOT of kids stop napping at TWO! But holy cow. This shit is serious now. Break time is OVAH!

Right this very second, he’s sitting on his rocking chair with three books, reading very sweetly and quietly. This should last about four minutes and then we’ll go play.

This kid is growing up and going through phase after phase in the blink of an eye. Everything seems to be going by so quickly, it’s just crazy. I want to hold on to each moment before it flies away.

He was an infant just seconds ago. I would hold him and breast feed. Then he was drinking milk from a bottle and eating real food. Then he was asking for mac and cheese and apple juice. Then he knew every kind of dinosaur that ever lived and was reasoning with us and…

Oh crap. He’s in the living room. He’s walking toward me with a Toy Story stamp.

Napping phase is over. Moving on to the next one.

I love this little, non-sleeping boy.

But, good lord I’m going to miss his naps.

9 Responses to “No More Naps”

Oh how I loved those naps! Good thing is when they are older, you can make… I mean have them help with stuff and you can nap 😉 I love the fact that you keep track of things so you can go back and remember. I wish I did more of that! They do grow up so fast. Hang in there 🙂

Well, Hubs is taking him back to try to get him to nap right now. Let’s see!! If not, I’ll nap when he’s older, like you said. And I’ll just look at it as a few more hours a day to see his perfect face. 🙂

G still might have a “nap” relapse, now and again, don’t lose heart. I’m SO glad you are feeling stronger, and just in time for Christmas break! Now, it’s my grandchildren that know that naps are sacred territory and they humor me by “taking a rest” when they stay with me.. Gotta have those naps!

3. Reply Tracy K says:

Welcome to the napless club! Not gonna lie, it can be rough! Brandon permanently stopped napping at 2.5. Now he only naps if he’s sick or if he woke up abnormally early for some reason. But, the upside might be that G-man may go to bed earlier, especially in the beginning, because he’ll still need the extra sleep! Good luck!

4. Reply Tweets that mention No More Naps -- Topsy.com says:

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by TheNYGalavant and Lisa Arch, Lisa Arch. Lisa Arch said: No. More. Naps. Oh. My. God. http://t.co/V7g3abr via @flawless_mom […]

5. Reply Allison says:

Sydney, is now napping in the odd hour of 4pm or as I like to call it “oh, shit the bitchy hour don’t do it, please”! She is almost out of her nap stage at 30 months. How I will miss that nap time as I call it “Me Time”. The toddler years are great, but the toddler years fly by so fast!