18 Dec 2010

What is the one gift you are most looking forward to giving this year? Can you already picture the look on the face of your child? Your parent? Your friend? Your grandkid?

I’m not going to lie. G-Man is getting quite a haul for Christmas. Some of it is stuff I needed to buy him, like a robe and warm, footy-pj’s. But he loves getting that stuff, so he’ll be thrilled.

He’s definitely getting some dinosaur stuff, which I know he’ll love, including a dinosaur caller, a dino blankie, and a head-lamp to look for dinos in the dark. But I think I’m most excited about him opening his indoor-tunnel-tent. We love making forts and watching movies in them, and this will be a whole new experience. I really think he’ll love it and I can’t wait to see his face when he opens it.

There’s one other thing I’m very excited about giving. This is an idea I heard from a friend of mine last year that another friend of mine reminded me of this year, that I’m sure is going to be the beginning of a long-standing tradition. We’re doing it instead of exchanging gifts with our closest friends. I encourage you to do something similar. Six of us are going to dinner somewhere VERY inexpensive, like Denny’s or  IHOP. At the end of dinner, each couple will leave the server a $50.00 tip. That’s it. No questions asked. It’s just a Christmas bonus for a hard-working server.

I’ll post about it afterward. We keep wondering what we’ll do if the server is mean or the service is terrible. I think, no matter what, we’ll leave the tip. It could warm the heart of an angel, or soften the heart of a grinch. It could go either way!

I look forward to hearing the gift you’re most excited to give, and whatever “charity” or fun tradition you might be starting or continuing.

Christmas is just around the corner, folks! Hope yours is very, very merry.

Tags: , , ,
Related Posts

1. Reply Jill says:

Definitely looking forward to giving Hubbz the Kindle I got him, but when the boys find out about the Wii, they’re going to flip!!

@charmedimsure

That’s awesome!! My sis-in-law is getting G-Man this Nickelodeon Fit game I saw on Amazon. I hope it’s good. G LOVES wii fit plus but sometimes he gets frustrated at the sad music they play when he doesn’t do great. Lately, he’s been playing Diego’s Dinosaur Rescue and LOVING it!! Let me know how the kids like it. FUN!!!

2. Reply Myranda says:

I was really hoping to get my hubby something amazing and something he really wanted BUT we just found out that we need to replace our roof so that is our Christmas present to each other. The only gift I gave was a planner to my sister. It started years ago when I would get her a Harry Potter planner and now that she is in college she gets a “grown up” planner!

Love the planner thing. So cute. My hubs and I usually do something like that for Christmas. Usually it’s a home repair or new computer type of thing. This year we need to get a good camera. Might not be in time for Christmas, but hopefully soon.

Well, I’m not the one giving the gifts, they are from the dog to the others in the family. She got each one of them a marshmallow shooter. You know, a “gun” that shoots marshmallows. Hey, wait a minute!! They are going to be all over the ground and she’ll be the one eating them. Darn . . . I’ve been outsmarted by a dog.

LOL

4. Reply Robbie says:

I love your Big Tip idea! That’s lovely.

Well, I’ll let you know how it goes. I think it’s pretty cool. I waited tables for 8 years, and if anyone had ever done that for me, I would’ve been in heaven!

5. Reply Matt Iseman says:

I can’t wait for the get the expansion pack for Red Dead Redemption! And maybe an iPad… oh, and new skis!!! Wait… hold on… I just reread your question…
    What gift am I looking forward to GIVING? Is this a trick question??? It’s Christmas! A time to get gifts… I’m too busy making my list of things I really, really want to think about other people and their needs and wants.

Okay, fine… I am looking forward to GIVING people the satisfaction of watching me enjoy the totally awesome gifts they get for me. Like an iPad!

Jeez, it’s tiring thinking about giving.
    Oh, and I’d like to give some laughter to people.
    And world peace.

Happy holidays!

You are a big dork. And I mean that in the best way possible. Hope your Christmas if full of giving AND getting! Dork.

At least Matt Iseman is honest. He cracks me up. To answer the question, Craig is getting legos. Craig thinks of legos like your son thinks of dinosaurs. He is blind but knows when there is one of his favorite pieces missing. I still don’t know what to get my hubby. When I ask him what he wants I get “I don’t know”. I went to the mall and searched for the I don’t know store but couldn’t find it. I should of check on Amazon.com! (LOL)

Shopping for the hubbz is always tough. Most years Russ & I don’t shop for each other because we have some house project or big purchase that we do instead. G is getting his first legos, too! He’s only had the big Mega Bloks so far, so I’m hoping he’ll love them! I can’t believe Craig can tell when a piece is missing. That’s incredible.

7. Reply Ange says:

I’m giving firstly a secret santa a gift card… At work tomorrow
    And than I am giving my niece a DVD it’s called in the night garden
    My nephew a huge bullseye from toy story which he will luv So much
    And nephew another transformer to add to his 50million
    Twins- still unknow what to give to them???

What I want is not to work on Xmas and I would like a nu computer but I’m asking bit too much lol mine went plonkers:( need totally want Mac next!!! Thank goshness for iPads:)
    Keith urbane new cd is out so i want that
    Best is family dinners:) mmmmm food in ur guts followed by deserts and ice-cream

Is Santa real? Hope so… lol I want my presents … ( that’ s a joke i don’t believ in Santa) lol

8. Reply Ange says:

Did that post make sense? Hope so lol
    … I was trying:D Hehe

9. Reply Ruth says:

Hi Flawless Mum
    This is my first time on your site….and I love your tips and suggestions.
    Thanks for the good read. Ill be sure to continue stopping by.
    Thanks Ruth

10. Reply Tracy K says:

Had a friend once who got a $100 bill for a $14 table she was serving and the people said thanks and left. Made her year – I’m sure your server will be thrilled!!

(Kicker for my friend was that the patrons were dressed like homeless people and no one else in the place wanted to serve them because they didn’t think they’d tip. Hahaha. Book. Cover. You get it. )

THAT IS SO FANTASTIC!!!
      I’m so excited. Everyone’s been sick so now we’re not doing it until New Year’s Eve. It’s almost better though. Some poor guy or gal will have to serve Moons Over My Hammy on New Year’s and he or she will get the tip of their life! I really can’t wait. And now I have an EXCUSE to dress like a homeless person!! Yay!!

11. Reply Ange says:

I was thinking about this post at work it was hilarious- I thought my secret Santa would give me a Keith urban cd… Now I don’t want to sound ungrateful but I got a crap notepad set…

So I wanted to tell u I got anotepad set:(
    But it’s ok thought that counts I got laughed at
    for getting it cos itwas kiddy.. I’m friggen 24.. Oh well best is family dinners

Ok wanted to give u a update.. 😀

Today is Dec 23rd. Craig and I had some shopping to do and then we went to lunch at Friday’s. I had some extra cash so I thought I would do what you suggested. I always pay with the debit card. I did today too but I left a $40 cash tip. The waiter came up and thank me for the tip. Our bill was $28. I really felt good about doing that.

That is the coolest!!!!! I’m so excited that you did that. Plus, Friday’s has a special place in my heart. It’s the first restaurant I worked at. I was there two years!! We’re now doing our “big tip night” on New Year’s Eve because each time we planned it, someone was sick. I think it’ll be super fun that way, anyway. Eating french toast and eggs on New Year’s, tipping big, then heading back to party. Merry Christmas!

To me Friday’s is the Best! Before we moved to South Dallas we lived near Addison Tx. We used to go to a Fridays up there a lot. So much that when they saw us driving up they would get our table ready and one of the servers would have our drinks ready on the table. We always order bread sticks before the meal to keep Craig quiet. She would put the oprder in before we even got into the restaurant. That is what I call service! Or that maybe we go there a little bit to much! (LOL)

Yeah, when I worked there in the early 90’s it was run like an army. If you weren’t giving the best service, you would get written up or fired. Now, I don’t think it’s the same. We stopped going a few years ago because I think the food went downhill too. But as long as the one near you is still delivering good food and service… That’s the way to go! I still think it’s so great that you did that with the tip. I bet it made his whole week. 😉

Merry Christmas to you too.

15. Reply Three Weeks says:

[…] other two couples we spend NYE with, and have our “Big Tip Dinner”.  (See the end of this post). It was supposed to take place closer to Christmas, but all of us kept getting […]