22 Dec 2010

I Ain’t Didn’t Get No Sleep, So I Tired

11 Comments Toddler

Allow for me to describe to you the last several hours.

Garrett went to bed at 8:30 and I proceeded to try to plan an upcoming trip we’re taking. At 10:00, I woke Russ from Garrett’s floor (occasionally, he or I will sleep next to G’s bed for a bit), and he and I watched some House Hunters, and made fun of the people on TV.  After some marital canoodling, it was time to do a crossword puzzle and go to sleep. It was midnight, but I knew Russ was waking up with Garrett this morning, so I was about to get eight hours sleep.

At 3:00AM, I could hear our cat Sonny meowing. Sonny’s an outdoor cat, and he’s taken to SCREECHING in the middle of the night, until one of us brings him some food (even though his bowl is full) and tells him we’ll see him in the morning. It’s raining in L.A., so I’m feeling extra bad for him.  I held him for a couple minutes and went back to bed.

At 3:48, Garrett magically appeared in our bed. Russ had apparently taken him to the bathroom and now G wanted to sleep with us. This doesn’t happen often because G likes his own bed. But when it does happen, he’s usually great at going to sleep, or asking me to take him back to his room.

This time was different. Garrett was talking. He was talking a lot. It was like someone was paying him by the word. Then he was thirsty, so I got him some water. I guess the lack of sleep made me not put the lid on right, so at approximately 4:23AM, Garrett spilled the water all over the bed and all over me. He was apologizing profusely as I changed my pajama pants and got a towel to sleep on. Then Garrett decided my collar bone made a comfortable pillow. Then my stomach was where he wanted to lay his head. Then the talking started again. This time he wanted to know if the sun was up and if it was wake up time. It wasn’t. Not by a long shot.

4:55 AM. Garrett wanted proof it wasn’t wakeup time. He made me pull back the curtains to show him that the sun wasn’t up yet. I did. Then I told him I was taking him back to his room, which was met with a big, whiny, “Nooooo! I’ll stop talking. I promise!”

Then Sonny’s screeching started again. This never happens. We usually get one screech a night, we take care of him, and he’s good until the morning. This time G heard the screeching and it freaked him out. So I put on my robe and slippers and put Sonny in the soft carrier he sleeps in. I zipped it up and brought him in the kitchen. Side note for you cat lovers:  Sonny pees all over the place. He’s been fixed, but it doesn’t seem to matter. If he’s loose in a house, he’ll mark it. The entire house. That’s why he’s outside. He’s been outside for seven years now, and he’s doing just fine.

Back to my story. At 5:30 AM, G asked once again if it was wakeup time, and if he could have a snack. This time I said, “Yep. It is. Let’s make it happen.” So that was my night. It’s now 6:30, I’m writing this post, and G is on the couch, full of Kix and blueberries, watching Spongebob Squarepants. I’ll wake Russ up in about an hour and I’ll go back to sleep. Hopefully, Garrett will take a five-hour nap around 10:30.

I got about three hours sleep. And somehow I still really love this kid.

Then again, I might just be delirious from lack of sleep and really hard rain.

11 Responses to “I Ain’t Didn’t Get No Sleep, So I Tired”

1. Reply Koch says:

“It was like someone was paying him by the word.”

2. Reply Tracy K says:

I agree with Koch, best line ever!

I feel your pain sister! Brandon has done that to us on more than one occasion. NOT FUN! And you are the third friend, along with myself, that has had sleeptastrophes the last couple nights. Must be the rain or something. Hope you get a nice, restful nap!!

SLEEPTASTROPHES!! So good. Maybe the rain? He’s also not eating very much at all today. Plus, before bed last night he had some marshmallows and berry milk. Great combo. Not sure what’s going on. Weird few days. He napped three hours today (so did I), and I’m hoping he’ll sleep normally tonight. OY!

3. Reply Mother-in-law says:

I believe you are aware of what side of your family non-stop talking comes from. I used to swear my ears would melt and run down my neck.
    I on the other hand was a grumpier mother and Russ will tell you there was a no talking law after bedtime,and it a very strict law.

But what age can you enforce that law? You know your grandson. He listens to everything we tell him! But he will not listen to “stop talking and go to sleep” or “it’s only 6:00 AM, you have to play in here for an hour and I’ll come get you.” Maybe I need to stop going in when he calls me every time. But that’s very difficult for me.
      I love the melting ears visual, by the way!

Good ones from our sleep deprived Flawless and Mom In Law! Chatterboxes R Us! We had to invoke the same “No Talking” law at our house…wait, it’s in the DNA, The Entertainer Gene. Erik finally decided to amuse himself with his Star Wars plastic people in his room (under threat of bodily harm) or, I could have been one of “those” Moms ON the news!

I hope you got your nap! Sorry you are having rain in the biblical porportion! Sonny may be looking for the Ark?!

I NEED TO GET MORE STRICT!!!!
      I did get my nap. Three hours. Then I got a whole bunch done while G took HIS three-hour-nap. We’re all a bit “off” today though. I mean, even more than usual!

Lisa, I seriously think it is the rain. That combined with Christmas coming, and unusual schedules and happenings. Thankfully, The 2 furry babies I have seem to be back to normal, even with me being gone all weekend, and working some wacky 4 am and 12 am shifts lately. Get some rest! Sleepytime makes an awesome vanilla tea BTW…..

ooooh, that sounds fantastic! I will purchase that tea tomorrow!!
      You’re so right. The rain, the schedule… It’s screwing us all up! Very good point. All I know is we better get some sleep tonight!

6. Reply Ange says:

U sound like a walking zombie…

Hate short sleeps.. I would have had a nap when g went to have a nap 😀

Try getting a hot tea and get a early night in.. My goal after work… No sleep makes me crazy..

Now I bet u wood b in sounds asleep for tonight huh? Maybe?