24 Dec 2010

The Fat Man’s Dropping Gifts Tonight

11 Comments Family, Personal Crap

Well, here we are. Christmas Eve. And finally, I get to live out my childhood Christmas fantasies through my son. Tonight, Santa will stop by our house, eat some crispy oatmeal cookies, drink some milk, and drop off a ton of gifts to Garrett.

Growing up Jewish, I never felt completely left out, but I always longed to know what it was like to celebrate Christmas. One year my parents let us wake up to one gift each, in exchange for them sleeping until 11:00. I thought it was a good trade.

And I remember having a big debate with my brother in our garage about whether or not Santa Claus was real. I wanted so badly to believe, but I was 8 or 9 and that ship had sailed. My brother made sure of that.

But now all of the magic of Christmas is a part of my life, and I’m loving every minute of it. It doesn’t make me any less Jewish, mind you. It just makes my life in December a little more hectic and a lot more fun. And it forces me to spend a lot more time in the kitchen baking Christmas-inspired desserts. Β It’s also a holiday that forces you to be a little more creative, and to tickle your child’s imagination with images of Santa and reindeer, elves and the North Pole.

We’re very blessed to have our little family. We’re very blessed we get to celebrate two different holidays at this time of year. We’re very grateful and humbled that we have a home in which to celebrate, friends and family to share the time with, and the chance to make lasting memories.

We’re still not exactly sure how tomorrow will pan out in terms of what we’re doing after present-opening. But whatever it is, I’m glad I get to share in this holiday. And I’m so excited to wake up with my husband and my son, to open gifts and be together.

I hope your holiday is filled with joy and laughter, and that you’re spending it with people you love. I truly believe these are the greatest gifts of all.

Merry Christmas!

Tags: , , , ,
Related Posts

11 Responses to “The Fat Man’s Dropping Gifts Tonight”

1. Reply Mother-in-law says:

Lisa, I love you and your two boys. We will miss you up in Oregon but just knowing you are excited for the holidays makes my day a a very happy one.
    I know you will have a good time no matter what you three decide to do.

Love you too, Mom!! This morning was so great. Then after we opened all the gifts, we went to the park for a while. Then back for a late lunch of Christmas Eve leftovers and a very late nap!! I bet we won’t get to bed before 10:00 tonight. It’s a very good day.

2. Reply Myranda says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lisa! I don’t know what all this is about there not being a Santa…I’m 26 years old and still get presents from Santa…hahaha! My mom just won’t let it go! Enjoy your time with your family! As long as I am not feeling sick, I am making my Christmas cinnamon rolls (made possible by Pillsbury) and having dinner with some amazing friends since my family lives in WA and I’m in southern OR!

We wish a joyus day filled with all the majic of the season. Blessings to each of you. Enjoy every minute, it’s such a magical, memorable time! Love, AL and US

Merry Christmas, Lisa! I thought of you today, as we celebrated our first Christmas since Clean House. It was such a good feeling to be able to host Christmas at our house. May you be blessed, on Christmas day and every day, with joy, laughter, family, friends, health, peace and love. Big hugs to you from me, Bill & Kate πŸ™‚

Awwwww! That makes me ridiculously happy!! I’m so glad I got to be a small part of making your life a little brighter. And I wish all the same beautiful things for you and your family, Christine. xo

5. Reply Ange says:

Aww sounded like a relaxing cool Christmas…
    Well hope u had fun ate a lot and slept and got presents

And oh and a merry Xmas… and but its just a wee lil bit late but whatevs merry Xmas
    Oh and a happy new year…

P.s Keep blogs coming for nu years looking to read heaps more

πŸ˜€

6. Reply Meri says:

You know, in Hebrew school when they kept trying to warn us about the perils of intermarriage, they didn’t mention the fact that the Jewish holidays start in September and you just don’t really catch a break until January! We Jewish mommies married to non-Jewish daddies really have our work cut out for us! I wouldn’t trade it, though!

Of course, I am the product of an intermarriage myself, so when I would remind the Hebrew School teachers of this, and argue with them, they tended to end their anti-intermarriage lessons early.