08 Jan 2011

What are your best diet tips?

It’s January, which means one thing: You’ve gained weight. YES, YOU HAVE! ADMIT IT! And now you’re probably having problems buttoning your pants, or your shirt, or you grimace a little when you see yourself in the mirror. Or, if you’re like me, you started gaining weight in July and now you’ve taken to wearing skinny jeans or leggings, topped with over-sized tunics which give the illusion of you being thinner than you are. And if you haven’t gained weight, you’re some super-human freak who I would rather not associate with. (But I would like your input here!) Or you’ve gained weight, you’re happy with the way you look, and you’re staying that way! Or, last option, you want to take off SOME of the weight you’ve gained, but not all of it, because your husband likes the extra junk in the trunk and boobs in the… Uh… Front seat. And, if you’re one of my male readers, you’ve probably gained 10 or 12 pounds but no one can tell, so you’ve just moved to the next belt loop and you’ve gone on with your year.

With all of that in mind, I’d love to know what tips and tricks have helped you in the past or are helping you now. Is there a program you love? Like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig? I’d also like to know how you made it through the holidays without gaining weight, if you’re one of those people.

And what’s your favorite way to get support? Do you like dieting with friends?  Your spouse? Or are you better off by yourself with no one to answer to?

I am back on LoseIt, which is an iPhone app that helped me lose weight almost two years ago. I was easily keeping it off until my dad passed away, which was apparently an open invitation for me to start shoveling every food I ever wanted into my face, resulting in a nearly 10-pound weight gain. I’m now back on track, tracking my calories, and it was easier to get back to than I thought it would be. I’m only planning to lose 5 of the 10 pounds I gained, and I feel like I’m well on my way.

I haven’t completely started my exercise regimen yet, but I’m doing Wii Fit with my son, and playing a lot of running games with him as well. Soon I’ll start walking again and break out the Jillian Michaels DVD’s I got for Christmas. I’m even considering going back to the gym a few days a week.

And for support? I’m part of a new group on Twitter called Fat to Phat (#fattophat). It’s a group of women (no men yet) who are there to support, laugh and help. I’m loving checking on everyone and having them all check on me. It really is helpful.

Here are the tips that have worked for me in the past, and are working for me now:

Write down what you eat. It’s a huge pain in the butt until you get used to it, but you’d be amazed what it stops you from eating. It’s incredibly helpful to hold yourself accountable like that, and to see it all written down. An app like LoseIt is very good.

Plan ahead whenever you can. If you’re going out to eat, see if there’s a menu online. That way you can plan what you’ll order before you get there, and you won’t be tempted by the rich sauces and cheesy goodness on the menu.

Drink a ton of water. Seriously. A ton.

Fill up on salads, but get the dressing on the side. My parents were in Weight Watchers when I was a kid, and they taught me how to dip my fork in the dressing before each bite, instead of pouring it on the salad. It’s probably saved me thousands of calories over the years.

Don’t obsess. One of the hardest things to do when you’re dieting is to NOT OBSESS. It’s hard to not think and talk about eating and dieting all the time. But try not to for two reasons: 1. You’ll bore everyone around you. (I know. I’ve done it. A lot.)  2. You’ll drive yourself crazy. Better to distract yourself with activities and join a group where it’s safe to talk about your eating habits. (Like #fattophat on Twitter!)

Give yourself a break. If you mess up, don’t go off the deep end because you feel like there’s no fixing it. A mistake is just that: a mistake. And if you have a misstep, you can go right back to doing well. It’s not the end of the world. Just start again.

Please share your tips!! And if you’re on the path to lose weight and get healthier, good luck! Can’t wait to hear from you.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Related Posts

1. Reply Lysandra says:

my advice is to drink lots of water–you said that.

also, if you’re going to exercise (& i highly recommend it) you need to eat. the more you exercise, the more fuel your body needs to repair and recover.

I find that I do really well when I have a support group. Finding little ways to exercise through out the day is great too. Such as me chasing my little dog around the pool table. :). Any an all things you do that are active is great. I’ve also cut out a lot of fat from my foods. I use a cookbook called, ” So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat.” It has taught me how to make healthier meals that taste great. I also use the LoseIt app. My Sis showed me it a while ago and I love it! I lost 20 pounds the first time I used it and then life happened and I stopped for a bit. I only gained 5 pounds back, but now that I’m using LoseIt again and have such great support, I will reach my weight goal. I’m very thankful to be a part of the fattophat team! 🙂

One year ago, I weighed 80 lbs. more than I do today. At my optimal weight, I had lost 100 lbs. so, YES, I have gained 20 lbs back. But, that was between Halloween and New Year’s and I had kept it off for 4 months before that. So, I’m back on the program – LOTS of water, writing down what I eat, and back to weekly classes. I originally used a strictly medically monitored program and I am now a life member so I can attend as many classes as I like. That is my support group. And, I exercise but that is one thing that I didn’t stop doing while shoveling the food into my mouth – I still exercised! (If you knew me, you’d be amazed by that statement. LOL)

I guess my advice is to remember that you aren’t alone. ((HUGS))

WOW. I’m blown away by anyone who has that commitment. You overcame such a big hurdle! And you didn’t let a setback stop you. Good for you!! I’m rooting for you. You’re amazing!

4. Reply Tracy K says:

Ok, so you have hit exactly what’s going on with me! I started back at WW on Wednesday! I’m totally excited about it! I had success with them in the past and i feel i will again. As one friend said, I feel like my get-healthy button is FINALLY back on! Weight Watchers has an iPhone app now too and it’s making it super easy to journal what I eat and track my points. This week has made me realize how I’ve COMPLETELY stopped taking care of myself because I was so busy taking care of everyone else. I cant tell you how many times I thought “this is when I would just grab something quick without thinking about the consequences, but not anymore!” I realized I’d forgotten to take care of me for almost 3 years since Brandon was born! This week I’ve been cooking and planning and demanding the time for my needs too. It’s been, as the big O would say, an AH-HA moment! I have many more than 5 pounds to lose, but I’m setting the small goal of 1-2 pounds a week and I’m excited to see myself in 6 months. :).

As for tips, 1) be accountable to someone other than just yourself, but someone non-judgmental and fully supportive, 2) find a support group, 3) eat lots of fiber and drink lots of fluids, 4) journal everything you eat, even little nibbles, and 5) set small goals and celebrate (not with food) each triumph, no matter how small!

Oh, and don’t call it a New Years Resolution because then you’ll quick by mid- February! 😉

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
      That’s so awesome, Tracy. And I agree with the resolution stuff. It NEVER works. You sound totally motivated. I know you, and I know you won’t stop until you get what you want. And, by the way, you totally deserve that.
      KICK ASS!

I am severley obese so I have no tips. My Dr wants me to lose 200 pounds. I do not see that ever happening. I asked him for diet pills they did work for me in the past but since I have high blood preasure he will not give them to me. Good luck to all of you on losing weight. The only thing I can add is try real hard to gain the weight. It is immpossiable to get it off when you get old like me.

I know I replied to this. I don’t know why it’s not showing up. What I had said was, I have never faced something like this, so it’s impossible to really know what to say… But I think if you look at it as one pound at a time, instead of seeing it as 200 pounds to lose, you could tackle it. And if you lose just 10% of your body weight, you will improve your health tremendously. You can do it, Norma. I know it!

My weight has varied tremendously throughout my adult life. The day of my wedding, almost 16 years ago, when I was 26, I weighed 104 pounds. Before you call me a skinny bitch, remember I am barely 5’2”, and carry no weight in my boobs, so even at 104 pounds, I was shaped like a pear.

I ganed a bit of weight during the early years of my marriage. Then, five years later, I got pregnant with Kate. During my pregnancy, I ate a lot. Really a lot. My favorite food, and one of the only things that didnt bounce right back out of me, was mashed potatoes with gravy. So, after 9 months of existing on creamy, buttery mashed potatoes, the day I had my daughter, I weighed 167 pounds. Since I still had a waistline, as most pear shaped women do, and since I had just had a baby, I convinced myself that I wasn’t fat. My husband shattered that fantasy by asking, a few weeks later, “Are your thighs always going to look like that, or will they eventually be normal again?”

So, by the time Kate went to preschool, when she was 4 and I was 35, I had worked my way down to an acceptable130 pounds, most of which I still carried on my thighs and ass. Then, over the next two years I began doing The Firm workouts every day, and eating properly, and I started to drop, and shift, weight very quickly. I was lean! I was shapely! I was in a size 4 again, woo-fricken-hoo!

And then came the cancer diagnosis, and by the time treatment ended I was below my wedding weight, had zero muscle tone, and was barely 100 pounds. Then came my hysterectomy, and six months of sitting around doing nothing but eating, and I gained a bunch of weight, again mostly ass fat and thigh fat, but also I discovered a new weight issue. My belly looked HUGE! It was explained to me that, in the world of hyster-sisters, this phenomenon was affectionally known as “swelly belly.” Apparently, a hysterectomy causes your stomach to swell up so that even if you are thin you look fat. And it doesn’t go away. Ever. Just friggin lovely.

Then, I was chosen for Clean House and went on a ridiculous crash diet and exercise plan and got down to about 127 for the show, which I thought was a good weight. I bought clothes that hid my belly, and wore two pair of spanx for teh duration of the shoot. Shockingly, when the show aired, I looked HUGE! So after seeing myself looking like a fattie fat on television, and having the space in the now clean livingroom to actually workout, I started doing P90X. After 6 months of that torture, I had lost 10 pounds and lots of inches, (yay!) but got bored and lazy (boo!)and stopped.

So now I’m back up to 140 pounds. I know I am unhappy with my weight because I don’t feel sexy or confident. So, I know it is time to commit myself to eat properly and making move a bit more to return to a weight I am comfortable with.

My diet plan is this: Don’t diet. I will begin with a week long cleanse given to me by my chiropractor years ago. Its a pain in the ass, but it works. Lots of juicing and homemade broth and fresh veggies and fresh fruit. (If you want it let me know.) I will then cut portions, reduce sugar, fat and starch, move more (yoga works for me, as does walking with my dog), and, most importantly, express gratitude for a healthy body. Because I think excess weight is just and outward expression of inner turmoil, it is imperative that I purge my negative thoughts and emotions along with my negative eating habits. I hope to be a sextastic 125 pounds before summer. I’ll still be a pear, with a lot of junk in the trunk, but I will at least be a smaller, smoother, firmer pear. Wish me luck.

Well, that took some time to type. Its just about lunch time. Since I’ve yet to actually begin my new positive eating plan, I think I’ll go celebrate my comittment to it by haviing a yummy roast beef and swiss sandwich 😉

How did I NOT reply to this??? WOW. That is a LOT of ups and downs. I bet much of it was frustrating. And yet, I know that you are grateful to be healthy. And you have been instrumental in making me realize that THAT is the most important thing in the world. I’ll take five, ten, even twenty extra pounds on a healthy body ANY day!!

By the way, you do NOT look huge on that show at all!!! Don’t give it another thought!!!

7. Reply flawlessmom says:

That’s all so great!! I do the same with little things around the house. I try to do housework vigorously, and I turn playtime with G into a calorie burner. When he was a baby I used to use him like a dumbbell, doing curls and shoulder raises! And I try to do push-ups against the kitchen counter when I’m cooking.
    I LOVE fattophat because I can get out all my b.s. on Twitter, instead of constantly boring my friends and family with it!!