22 Jan 2011

First allow me to apologize for posting so rarely lately. I don’t want to lose you, my dear readers!!  I will get back on track (or some semblance of it) soon!

Last week I asked you where you live and why you love it. This week, I want to know:

Where in the World have you BEEN and what did you love about it?

I haven’t been many places, but one of my favorite places in the world is Manhattan, NY, which is now tied with Hoboken, NJ. I love the bustling city life, combined with coffee places, book stores, good food, fun shops, easy public transportation, and great people.

The only place outside of the country that I have been is London. I LOVED every second I spent there.  I was there for work, but it turned out to be much more pleasure than work. Every morning, I had tea and croissants in my room. Every day my co-workers and I ate at amazing places. I had tea at a fancy hotel, went to a couple museums, and I spent some time wandering around on my own. I can’t wait to get back there with Russ and G-man who, coincidentally, was conceived the night I got home from London. Te he.

SO tell me where you’ve been and why you love it. Can’t wait to read what you have to say!

1. Reply Maegan says:

My favorite place to visit is Key West, FL! My hubs and I got engaged there and then honeymooned there! I had been there 2x before that, but when I was quite young, like 13 and when I was 24, but was with my mom. It is my dream place and where I fantasize I am when “real” life is lame. I love it b/c it’s tropical, but still stateside (I get a little freaked out when I can understand the catcalls), it’s unique (note the chickens and 6-toed cats that walk around willynillly), it’s filled with history (Ernest Hemingway for one) and has fantastic sunsets with the all-time best accompaniment, an authentic Mojito! Snorkeling, walking, moped-ing, parasailing, awesome food and people, amazing seafood and a fair bit of debauchery to be had too!
    As for travel abroad, I was in France for 4 weeks when I was in HS one summer and it was fantastic. That is my other dream, to get back to Europe for a full-blown Griswold Vacation!!

Wow. Key West, huh? You don’t hear a lot about Key West. That’s a resounding endorsement, if you ask me! I hope you get that Griswold vacation very soon, Maegan!!

Wow! My favorite place there are so many. I think number one would have to be New England. I love the mountains and the 4 seasons. I miss it so much. In 1958 My mom, Dad and Aunt and Uncle and me took a road trip from NH to CT then to IN and Then to IL. It was wonderful! I have never forgotten it.

When I was a kid I used to watch the original Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Disney. They would show Disney Land being built. It was my dream to go to CA to visit Disney Land. In 1981 my Husband and I took our three sons on a Week vacation to CA and to Disney Land. It was Wonderful. We also went to Universal Studios. We took a Trip to Sea World and also to Calico (sp) An abanded Silver mine. That was the best week we ever spent.

I also have been to Monteral QU Canada. I love that city. Been there several times. That was before the boarders were closed and I have been told now you need a past port to go there. I think it is the most beautiful city that I have ever seen.

Also been to Boston several times. Didn’t live all that far from it growing up. Lived in Philadelphia PA for 7 years. It has so much History to our country.

The states I have been to and each one has a special remembrance for me. ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, PA, DE, Wahington DC, OH, IN, IL, WI, VA, WV, MD, OK, AR, LA, TX, CA, FL, And Canada. I think that is it. We used to travel all the time and loved it.

OMG! You’ve been so many places! I’m impressed! I haven’t gotten to Canada yet. I hope that happens soon.

• Reply Norma Lamothe says:

If you ever do get the chance please do go to Canada. I would love to move there. But I have Caig so have to stay where I am. I am not sure I could take the cold and snow now. I did forget to mention KY and TN. In 1967 I lived in KY on the TN boarder. I really enjoyed that part of the country too.

My favorite place in the US is Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Very laid back, very family-oriented,very friendly. I love the southern accents and the restful pace of life there. It is touristy and full of kitschy (sp?) fun. It also has wonderful restaurants, golfing, and fishing. The beaches are clean and everybody has a good tiime. It is also close to Charleston which has so much history. There are plantation homes and museums to visit and more wonderful restaurants. The houses are colorful and beautiful. There is a marketplace that is fun to visit. There is something for everyone of any age.

My favorite place in Europe probably has to be Stockholm, Sweden. It is a beautiful city. The people are beautiful and friendly. There is so much to do.It is a very walkable city. My favorite thing is to sit at a cafe and just people watch. I can speak basic Swedish and they are very tolerant and amused by my attempts! I have visited in both summer and winter and it is an experience to have 24 hour daylight and 24 hour darkness. It always makes me glad to get back to the states and true day and night. Plus you have to love a royal family that has Ikea furniture in the palace!! 🙂

I have also had the opportunity to visit Alaska, most of Scandinavia, Russia, Canada, London (which I also loved!) and lots of other wonderful spots in the US including LA,San Fransico,Vegas, Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, and Dallas. I love road trips and seeing the countryside!

Geez, you people get around!! Sweden always looks so amazing to me. One thing I could NOT take, however, is 24 hours of darkness. Also, all the beautiful blonds walking around might make me a bit insecure. 😉

Wow. That’s a tough one. For vacation with kids, I would have to say Walt Disney World for obvious reasons. For vacation without kids, that is more difficult. Any place with a nice beach because I love the water. Las Vegas is also great because of the excitement. NYC too – never a dull moment there. One of my favorite places to see, though, was Victoria, British Columbia. What a quaint, beautiful town! I don’t like the cold or snow so anyplace other than that I’m happy with.

I can’t believe I forgot to say VEGAS! Hubs and I used to go at least 5 times a year before we had a kid. We’d spontaneously drive there at 2AM and stay a couple days, playing poker, eating too much, and drinking. So much fun. Glad we did it when we could, because I wouldn’t trade what we have now! I’m with you on the cold and snow. But I’m starting to enjoy it a bit more.

5. Reply Karen says:

In 2001, I fulfilled a life long dream and spent two glorious weeks in Italy. We started in Rome, made our way as far north as Venice, and circle back to Rome.

When I landed in Italy, I felt immediately at home. Being the daugher of German and Irisih immigrants, this made no sense, but I have never felt so calm, at peace, and filled with the love of beauty. From the churches, to the cobblestone streets, the people, the flowers, the old, the new, I was surrounded by so much love and beauty I felt like it was pouring into me!

With wonder I wandered through the Vatican and when I entered the Sistine Chapel, I was overcome with emotions. It took everything I had not to cry from the beauty of Michelangelo that surrounded me. St. Peters is beyond spectacular and it made me wish for the same devotion as those who had adorned the walls and ceilings with such clarity and emotion.

In Florence, just stepping off the train at Santa Maria Novella station brought a feeling of inspiration and serenity. Walking the cobblestone streets, as had been walked by some of the greatest inventors, painters, thinkers of the Renaissance made me want to reach for the stars. Santa Maria del Fiore (better known as the Duomo) is one of the most spectacular places I have seen and I have never seen a picture that truely captures the beauty of this magnificent building. I had one evening sitting in a cafe outside of th Duomo, where the magnificent blue sky was the perfect frame for the Duomo, and the imagine is burned into my mind. Whenever I am having a bad day, I pull up that imagine to remember the feeling of joy and wonder and what people have created in the name of God.

When I reached Assisi, I had a moment of such clarity, sitting outside of the church on a beautiful spring day, surrounded by the hills of Italy. I can still see the bright blue sky, and the medieval towns in the distance.

I am not a religious person, nor do I attend church, but my trip to Italy was the nearest I ever felt to God and to myself. I have returned only once, but imagine a life in which I could spend every day surrounded by such beauty, love, and devotion. Italy itself is my church and you could say that I am trying to convert the world!

Holy Moly!! That is quite a tribute to Italy. I have always, always wanted to go and I know I will one day. That sounds quite perfect. I hope you’re learning Italian for when you have a home there!!!

So funny that NY and Hoboken are two of your faves. I’m 30 minutes from both and rarely visit either.

I haven’t really ever travelled. I am terribly afraid to fly. So vacations for us are usually within a few hours driving distance. I am not into beach vacations, when I vacation I like to have places to go, things to do and good food to eat.

Hershey, PA is one of my family’s faves, and we’ve gone several times. Kate loves the amusement park, and there are some good restaurants, museums and shops.

Baltimore, MD was fun, we loved the Inner Harbor, the Ducks bus/boat tour, and the Aquarium and the Science center. I think their Zoo was ok, too.

Mystic, CT was great. We loved the seaport and the aquarium, we found really good restaurants and little local fooderies, and they have this really cool dinosaur place that Kate loved, aptly called The Dinosaur Place. I bet your G would love it as much as Kate did. Check it out here: http://www.thedinosaurplace.com

I also really enjoyed Washington, DC. We did a whirlwind three days there and saw everything. I am the queen of the vacation itenerary, and the DC trip was scheduled to the minute. We saw every museum, did every possible tour, spent a day at the zoo, and had some foodtastic adventures. I’d love to have the time and money to stay longer and do the whole trip again at a more leisurely pace.

I remember Maine and Vermont fondly, but that was almost 15 years ago, when I was just married and we stayed in a B&B, wandered antique shoppes, took a lobster cruise and toured Ben & Jerry’s and Vermont Teddy Bear Factory. It was a romantic, silly trip, the kind you have before kids are born or after they’ve grown. Definitely on my list to do again.

We honeymooned at Disney. The flight was a two hour panic attack and I’m surprised Bill didn’t divorce me the minute we landed. I loved every second of that trip, especially the food. And I would love to take Kate someday. Its definitely on my list.

We go to the Jersey Shore every year, not fun for me, but Kate is into shell collecting and Bill likes to lay on the beach and sleep, and my inlaws have a house that we can use for free when they are there, so I know that even if we have no other vacation, at least we have that to fall back on.

Also on my “someday” list are New Orleans, the Grand Canyon, Vegas and Niagra Falls. And then, when I’m used to flying and learn to shit money, I’d like to see Egypt, Australia and Italy. But for now I’ll just stick to local, cheap and family friendly travel opportunities.

I’ve always wanted to go to Mystic because of the movie!!! Isn’t that stupid? A pizza place, Julia Roberts, Lily Taylor… These are the things that make me want to see Mystic. New Orleans is amazing. We were supposed to go to the Grand Canyon last week but flew to New Mexico instead of driving. We’ll try to go this summer. We dig road trips!

Sorry for a Monday answer to a Saturday question!
    I have been to some very cool places, and worked at some too! But I have to say that Walt Disney World is my absolute get away destination. I lived in Florida for many years, and there is no other place to go and get totally immersed in a world of magic…..There are 2 other places I have to say I would love to visit again, one is in Canada, Rice Lake. The best time ever hanging with the locals when I was 16…and beautiful too! I also LOVE Asheville North Carolina. The summer trips spent there were just so relaxing! I especially loved the Biltmore Estate. I want to go back there too! Living in Cali, I get to go to Disneyland too, But WDW has and will always be kind of a “home” for me….Now I’m missing it more!

Man, Walt Disney World seems to be the place to GO! And, it’s NEVER too late to answer a Flawless Saturday Question! I SO appreciate the answers, you have no idea!

8. Reply Ange says:

Oh crap,,,,I posted than twitter did some frigen stupid thing and I lost everything i was writing to u:(

Who cares I back::)

Ok so I went to Hawaii last October and Fiji
    It was so pretty….
    The scenery, Waikiki beach, the shops, THe FOOD ooo I loved cheesecake factory ordered a choc cake took 2 days to eat it:) we stayed in marriott hotel and it was close to everything shops food beach u name it… I did this quad bike tour where u see movie sites and it is soooo unreal like something I’ve never seen u see huge mountians green grass clouds beaches all on the quad bikes…
    Than u go on this bus with no windows and u have. Deeper look into the movie sites and was so unreal….
    Ooo I came back 1 kg heavier:) not bad for 10days
    I went to Fiji I must say I was kinda hungry though… I bought a bottle of water for GET THiS $10.00 I nearly died I’m like what … What what????? I’m like oh well… Worth it cos it was hot and I was dying of the weather humid x 100 than Australia…..
    Ooo do u know men wear skirts there??? I’m so serious I walked in the Airport off
    From the plane and I see men in skirts I’m tapping my sister … Really is this normal?? Yup there culture but it was sooo cool… It’s diff cos out of nadi u come into a poor area and cross this bridge to rich area which was 5 star resorts we were in the west in hotel and it was soooo nice unreal…. So awesome… Better than the Marriott in Hawaii….
    But it was a short trip in Fiji… I was glad cos I missed home hated the humidity… And I was tired but it was cool… So sad though dogs houses all looks a bit different… Like v poor… Well some parts but my part was different… Mountain view sunset and lake:)

All in alll lured it to bits specially Hawaii have u ever been paddle boarding ? So cool u have to try it… I smashed my toe hard it’s about to fall off u know? I’m freaking out it’s gross…

So like I want to go to NYC in may/June…. I hear it’s awesome what hotels do u recommend?

Have a good one sorry for my long post… 🙂

Angela

Try to go to NY in May. By June it’s so humid. You’re young, so you’d probably like the W hotel in NY. It’s a young-person scene. A lot of folks at the bar!

9. Reply John J. Walsh IV says:

When I was growing up as a kid, I traveled all over the United States with my family, largely by car. While this presented me with many incredible memories, my two favorite places in the world are ones I visited on my own adventures.

The first is Salamanca, Spain. I traveled there on a school-sponsored trip during the summer between high school and college. I fell in love with the whole country, but this city in particular stole my heart. The architecture is incredible and the town a wonderful mix of modern and Old World. I definitely look forward to returning some day.

The second is Stratford, Ontario, Canada. My girlfriend and I spent over a week in this small town for their world-renowned Shakespeare Festival, but discovered it is also a hub for some of the most amazing meals you will ever have. The surrounding community is largely a farming one, so the produce and meats are mostly local, but the main street is full of worldly food culture and theatrical brilliance, thanks to a nearby culinary school and the aforementioned festival. We stayed at a bed and breakfast that was a 1905 Victorian home, which we were very reluctant to leave when our vacation was over. We pretty much decided this is where we want to retire, should we ever get such a chance.

The funny part of our discovery of Stratford is that I learned of its existence because of a small caption in an English textbook when I was in high school. Ten years later, still remembering that caption, I finally traveled to the town and fell head over heals in love. Now, who said amazing things don’t happen because of school?

WOW!! I now have to go there one day. That sounds so great! Thanks for sharing. A new place that sounds wonderful. And all because of your text book!