12 Feb 2011

One of my first FSQ’s was “What did you want to be when you grew up?”

Now I would actually like to know:  What do you do for a living and what do you love or hate about it?  And YES I’m including  STAY-AT-HOME MOMS in this discussion!!!!!

I’ve pretty much been a stay-at-home mom for the last six months and I’ve truly loved every second of it. But now it’s pilot season and I’m back to auditioning for commercials and I’ve got some other exciting stuff happening (which I’ll tell you about as soon as I can). So, it looks like I’m kind of back to work. My goal is to do it differently this time around, and to balance motherhood and work as well as possible. I’m not giving up my most important job, which is being a mom. (Its also my favorite job.) More on all of this later. For now, I want to know what YOU do!!

1. Reply Mary says:

I’m a stay at home mom and I usually love it. There are times, though, that I want to throw up my arms and admit defeat. However I won’t give it up. It’s the hardest and most rewarding job!

Mary, I couldn’t agree more. In G-Man’s three-and-a-half years, I’ve been home more than I’ve worked. While it is an exhausting job, it is the most rewarding, beautiful time I’ve ever had. We are lucky to get to be home with our children for any amount of time.

2. Reply Julie says:

I’m an author.

The best things about my job: I can work in my nightgown, which I’m doing right now. 😉 I’m doing something I love. This is what I am meant to do. I have instant kinship with anyone else who does this. After all, they know what it’s like to face that empty page (or Word document!) each morning.

The worst things about my job: Rejection. Self-doubt. Rejection. I work alone, which is a blessing and a curse. Did I mention rejection? I write romance novels, which means I get to fend off well-meaning comments like “When are you going to write a real book?” (Uh, that’s what I’ve been doing,) and “How do you do your research?”
    (My husband is tired but happy.)

I can’t imagine doing anything else.

Julie! SO FANTASTIC! To be any kind of writer is an incredible and incredibly difficult job. So many people write. So few get PAID to write! I understand the constant rejection more than you know. But being creative and getting paid for it EVER is a blessing.

3. Reply Allison says:

I am proud for once to say “Yes, bitches in LA I am a Stay At Home MOM & Proud!” I was so ashamed of being one until last month.
    While at the park w my toddler, Sydney. She yelled “Mom, look at me go down the slide by myself!!!” & I watched along w all the nannies! Yes, I was the only mom at the park at 1 p.m.
    on a Tuesday. In LA it was like a shock to see
    my White ass playing w my kid. Sorry, being very real here. All the nannie’s looked at me & my kid like we did not belong. That’s when I felt like crap! Only lady in LA raising my kid the old fashion way “1950’s Housewife Style”. I never grew up that way, felt so blessed to have a hubby who worked so I could “play that role”. After that park day & crying in many glasses of wine to the hubby. I ended up going back into the “Real World” of starting a side job for balance & making Sydney my Enterprise! I’m the C.E.O. of Sydney w no shame!! Ps. Going back part-time turned into full-time w no balance! So, I decided to help an actress out & that led me to balance now calling my shots, playground time, & me being Fine w raising MY KID! I was blessed by this actress who had faith in me!

Allison, I feel that anyone who is lucky enough (yes, I consider it lucky) to get to stay home with their kid(s) should be grateful and PROUD. It is such an important job, to be a stay at home mom. Any kid who gets a parent to be there for them, to take them and pick them up from school, to be available during the day, is a very fortunate kid. If you can be a SAHM, be proud. You are doing something very, very important and wonderful.

4. Reply Koch says:

I guess I would have to consider myself a professional voice-over actor. Which is good and fine, but I ALWAYS imagined myself growing up to be an on-camera actor. But my looks are so unpleasant that voice-over appears to be the best for me and I’m content with that. The on-camera thing just isn’t happening for me. But then I watch great shows like “Sons of Anarchy” and I say to myself, “hey, wait a minute, I could TOTALLY be on this show! Look at these MUGS”.

I am somewhat a Stay-At-Home Dad because I have a pug who’s on a lot of medications and I’m lucky I get to be there for her during the days to administer her dog drugs.

It appears things are heating up in your world even more so than when we last saw each other. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Koch, I think it’s time for you to realize that being a voice actor is FANTASTIC!! Not that you wouldn’t be great ON camera as well, but you have a job where you can dress how you want, skull rings and all, and constantly create new characters, on and off the mic. Plus, keep everyone in stitches the whole day. You’re stupidly talented, and I’m so happy people are paying you for it FINALLY!

I am not a stay at home mom! I do not have kids….long story. I HAVE had some GREAT jobs in my life tho! After I was hurt on the job in 2003, I was out of work for a long while. I had to find a new job that was compatible with my limitations, and I did! I work for a major retailer, and I do Price Accuracy, meaning I mark things down, and change prices. The holidays are always FUNNN with the markdown thing! But I love my job, and actually love the challenges it presents. The only thing I dislike is that there is a time limit on what our team does, and the rest of the store does not have that. So they have no understanding of how important things can be for us to work those hours that we do! Its not an easy job, but I love what I do…and hopefully we make the day a bit brighter when somone finds that special item on a markdown! LOL!

Carla, that sounds like FUN! I worked in retail for quite a while and found it to be enjoyable but that customers can be incredibly demanding. For me, besides acting, I loved waiting tables. (I miss it sometimes). I like that you enjoy your job and find it interesting. I think people who like what they do are very, very lucky. (And tend to be much happier people!)

I am a stay at home mom kinda of. I have a 38 soon to be 39 year old special needs son who rewuires 24/7 supervision. He did go to a day program until three months ago then I started his training here at home. Some days are really rough but like all the other moms I wouldn’t trade it in for anything. When the weather is nice we go on outings. The last two weeks the weather hasn’t been nice. We had a lot of ice and snow so we stayed in where it was warm and safe. We do errands together, go to the malls, go to the stores, go to lunch, you get the picture. We have a lot of fun. I am so glad I get to do this. He is my very special son in so many ways. He gives so much love and acceptance all he ask for in return is to be treated with respect nad love. He is mentally between 6 months and 12 months.

Norma, I know we’ve talked about this before. I think you are amazing for what you do and the relationship you have with your son. You are both so special. Thank you for sharing this with my readers.

7. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

Good luck with the auditions. I hope I see you on TV very shortly.

I wanted to be doctor but then became a marketer and now struggle with being the writer I want to be…I told my 3 yo I want to be a writer the other day, after he asked the question, and he said, “No, I want you to be a pirate.”

So maybe I’ll be a pirate.

Erin, I love it!!! It sounds like you’re raising a son who doesn’t see gender as a block to becoming whatever you want to be. I think “pirate” is a respectable career. Plus, you can wear a puffy shirt.

I hope you see me on TV shortly, too. I just wish I could shoot everything at home.

Oh, and you’re one of my favorite writers on the web.

I am a pediatric ICU nurse.

Best things: The courage, grace,dignity, and resilience of children. Wearing scrubs is almost like wearing pajamas to work every day. Meeting amazing people from all cultures, ethnic backgrounds and walks of life. Saving lives. Witnessing amazing advances in technology and actually getting to put it into practice. Being part of a team.

Worst things: Witnessing abuse and neglect. Being unable to relieve pain or suffering. Death. Seeing things that still haunt me years later. Being exposed to so many infectious diseases and body fluids that most people have never even heard of.

I would not trade this job for anything. It is hard to put into only a few short paragraphs everything it means to be a nurse.

Laura, that description left me breathless. I am in awe of you. I can’t even imagine the type of person you have to be to deal with all you deal with, the good and the bad… And the fluids. Thank you for everything you do, and for telling me about it.

9. Reply map0621 says:

I was laid off in October so I’ve been freelance writing and performing the stay-at-home dad duties.

Map, So sorry you were laid off. But let me just say, a stay at home dad is rare and AMAZING!!! Your child is very lucky.

I’m a Stay at Home mom and I love it. Love being so plugged in to my daughter’s life, love being so present and available and there for her. I love volunteering at school and at church. Love taking her places and knowing all her friends and doing mommy things with my SAHM friends. I love making Kate’s lunch and cooking dinner from scratch and couponing for bargains and running errands and helping with homework. I do not love laundry or cleaning, but you knew that already!

Lately, money is thisfrickentight so I’ve been job hunting. I’m hoping to find soemthing during school hours so that Kate doesn’t lose a second of my time. I can’t decide if the working mom thing is terrifying or freeing. I did a holiday job for a few weeks and it was a love/hate thing for me. Loved the job but hated that I needed it, hated that it was a have to and not a want to.

My want to, love to job is reading Tarot cards. I’m also an empathetic psychic, and I do Tarot readings at my home, at clients’ homes, at parties and via email. I love it, love being able to give people guidance and connection and direction and peace, love working around my daughter’s schedule, love that I can be a completely present mom and still do work that I am good at and enjoy so much. If you want to know more about it, click my name above to visit or join my Tarot Vision facebook page. And Lisa, it would be my honor and pleasure to gift you a Tarot reading!

11. Reply flawlessmom says:

Ooooh Christine!! I might have to take you up on that!! Would we do it through Skype? Or phone? Or what?

I’m so happy you love being a SAHM so much. I wish more moms would embrace it instead of feeling like what they’re doing isn’t enough. What you do is EVERYTHING!! It’s beautiful, isn’t it? Kate is so very, very lucky to have you. And I’ve seen it first hand. 🙂

• Reply Christine says:

Lisa, I am quite serious about giving you a reading, I don’t skype (althought that is an excellent idea, and I will have to look into it!), but we could do it via phone or email. My Tarot Vision number is 973-464-9824, you are welcome to call and we can schedule a time that would work.

Oh, and this SAHM is about to begin a 5 week full time job running the Easter Bunny photo set at the local mall. I have no idea how I’m going to fit everything in, and am having a bit of a panic attack, but I know it will all work out as it is meant to. Gotta trust the journey. Anyway, if you have the sudden urge to travel to Jersey in April, I’d be happy to comp G a picture with the Easter Bunny 😉

Christine, GOOD FOR YOU!! That’s so great. You will figure it all out, but I so understand that anxiety. And we might just take you up on that pic with the Easter Bunny!! The tarot cards? I will call you sometime soon to set that up. It freaks me out a tiny bit, but I think I want to do it anyway.