19 Feb 2011

Do you have any memories, good or bad, of being away from your family when you were young?

When I was 11 or 12, my parents dropped me off at Carmel Valley Tennis Camp for two weeks while they went on vacation.

I was miserable for a variety of reasons:
I wasn’t great at tennis.
I was the only Jew there.
I was the only one (seemingly) who didn’t have any established friendships with other girls there.
I hated being away from home.

It was bad. Luckily, I brought a few books, and all I did was read when I had any free time. I remember reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I felt like it saved me. I also became pretty close with one of the counselors, which helped.

But for the most part, I counted the minutes until my parents were going to pick me up. And I ate are least three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a day.

By the way, I didn’t get any better at tennis in those two weeks.

Mine is good. My mom was 42 when I was born. She really never wanted to have me and made that very clear every day I was her. My sisters and brothers were a lot older then me. Ruby was 24, Bud was 22, Jr was 20, Rita was 17, and Betty was 13. Rita took care of me for the first few months om my life. She left home at 18. She got married and had kids right away. When I was 7 I started staying with Rita during School breaks. She taught me how to do laundry, (wringer washing machine) How to hang the clothes on the line…it was the 50’s….How to care for babies. She tired the cooking thing but I never could get into that. The good is that I learned so much from her by her letting me help her do things. Her oldest is just one year younger then me. She had a total of 8 with me it was 9 and I was the oldest. She also taught me about God and the bible. I am so greatful to her for everything. I was so lucky that my mom would make me go to Rita’s. It was a lot of fun.

Norma, it sounds like you were very lucky to have Rita. She was your angel, wasn’t she? I’m glad for you that you had that important escape which was also so helpful in your life.

2. Reply Ange says:

Same like ur s

Camp=boring with bushes twigs bugs
    5days no civilization
    13yrs old
    Cried everyday

Only bit I loved was food…..

Ange:)

As a young child I was never away from home. There was the occasional sleepover at a friends house, but they usually ended with a one am phone call that I had a belly ache and needed to come home. Even my brownie camp experiences included my mom who was my brownie troop leader, so I was away from house but not away from home.

As a teenager, however, I often slept at friends houses, and it was my mom calling to ask if I was ok and did I want to come home. Then I won a forensic league competition (dramatic interpretation, Blanche’s soliloquy from streetcar named desire) and went to Florida for three days. During that trip I realized I’d go away to college.

And go away I did, to Rutgers, just 45 minutes down the turnpike. It was hard, sometimes for my mom and sometimes for me, but it was absolutely the right thing to do. Because the little girl who could not spend the night at a friends house without getting a bellyache and going home became a strong, independant woman who looked forward to returning home for an occasional visit home for laundry, lunch and love. .

Christine, I’m about to do a post about how G-man is exactly like Russ and I both were as kids, never wanting to be away from home. It’s not easy being that kind of kid. But it’s nice wanting to be around family more than anything.

The only time I remember being away was when I would go to Margie’s for a week here and there. She was like a grandma to me, and she and her husband owned this large piece of land, with horses and dogs and apple orchards, a huge woods and green pastures and LOTS to do! Her home was cozy and warm, and always welcoming. My favorite part of the day was feeding the animals and spending the afternoon with a favorite book in the hammock out in the trees. Its always a great memory, and she was a part of my life for longer than anyone else. Happy times!

Carla, that sounds INCREDIBLE! Who wouldn’t want a Marie in their life? Wow. It sounds like those experiences shaped you in a lot of ways. Lovely.

5. Reply Kristin says:

I could not get away from home long enough. 🙂