23 Feb 2011

Big Boy Bed

6 Comments Family, Toddler

Last night while Garrett and I finished our dinner, Russ transformed his crib into a big boy bed. It’s really the same bed, except the front was taken off and replaced with a very low rail so that G doesn’t roll out of the bed, which he would do because he’s incredibly restless.
So, just a quick change and it’s a big boy bed. Garrett was very excited.

Plus: I no longer have to lift him in and out of bed, which is getting hard on my back.
Minus: I no longer get to lift my baby in and out of his crib.
Plus: He can get out of bed by himself.
Minus: He can get out of bed by himself.

This is one of those times where it’s super clear that yet another phase has ended. With each new phase, we take a moment to mourn the passing of time and to celebrate our son growing up. He is becoming such a big boy.

So, last night was his first night in the new digs, and he did great going to sleep. At 12:45 AM, however, he called me in and wanted to come into bed with us. He had a fever yesterday, so I thought maybe this was just him not feeling well. He rarely wants to get into our bed. I brought him in and we all cuddled together. Three hours later we were still trying to get comfortable and fall asleep. No joke. THREE HOURS. He was moving and talking and asking questions. At one point I caught him trying to put one of our pillow cases over his head. There’s nothing like giving a lecture about the dangers of putting things over your head at 2:30 in the morning.

At 3:45, I had had it. I told him he had to go back into his bed. He said he would, but would I please come sleep on his floor for a little bit? I said I would. I woke up, very sore, on his floor at 8:00 this morning. He slept until 8:30, a full two and a half hours later than he usually wakes up.

It was a rough night for all of us. I’m still not sure if it was because of the new bed or because he wasn’t feeling like himself. We’ll have to see how tonight goes.

I kept him home from school again today, just because we were all so sleepy and, well… He’s got a big boy bed now. And I want to spend as much time with him as possible while he still has a little baby left in him. My baby. My big boy. I gotta go play some Iron Man with him now.  Or Iron Boy. Iron Baby? Hmmmm.

6 Responses to “Big Boy Bed”

1. Reply Camesha says:

So it’s NOT bad that I’m NOT looking forward to the big boy bed! I LOVE that I still have to pick my little man up out of his crib. He’s a little over 1 and I am trying to make sure I treasure every.single.second. He’s growing soooooo fast. Oh, what happened to the baby I brought home? sigh.

Camesha, I feel you. G is almost three-and-a-half and I swear it has sped so quickly. It’s crazy. Yes, cherish ever second. EVERY ONE! The good news is, it keeps getting better and better. We’re lucky. Very lucky.

Awwww. . . that’s so sweet. I hope he’s feeling better now.

My daughter was the one who decided when she was ready to have her big girl bed. So, she watched Daddy convert it and was very excited about using it. Naptime went well, she slept like a log. Bedtime didn’t so as well. She decided that she wanted her crib back. After a few hours of trying to get her to sleep in it, my dear husband converted it back.

The next time we moved my baby into her big girl bed, it was out of necessity. I had an appendectomy and could not lift her for several weeks so we had no choice. We explained this to her and she was okay with it. We didn’t have any issues. But, a few months later, I noticed that she didn’t have any room to move around (she is VERY tall) so we had to get her a “grown up” bed. That toddler bed time was too short, in my opinion. They grow up so fast.

Now, as for staying in bed, here is what we do . . . as a matter of fact, this applies to a lot of things. We never taught her that she could get out of bed. We never taught her a lot of things. Here is a list of things we have never taught our daughter:

1. McDonald’s has a play area.
    2. You can leave your room whenever you want. We still use a monitor (she is 4 1/2) and she calls us if she needs us.
    3. You can eat some of the food in your cart (donuts) or get food to snack on (deli) at the grocery store – especially if you are really cute and the grocery store people have known your mommy for years.

I know there are other things but I can’t think of them right now.

Time is flying by and my baby is no longer a baby. I try very hard to enjoy every single second because she’ll be graduating from college before we know it.

I love it, Michelle. So far, G is staying in bed and calling for us. We’re still using the monitor as well. I feel better knowing you’re still using it in her 4’s!! It looks, after night two, that the big boy bed is going to actually work out. And, like you, we’ll need a bigger bed soon. And… Get this… He’s never even been to a McDonald’s!! I hope I can keep him away for quite some time. 😉

3. Reply Jeff Lorbes says:

Makes me think of this great George Carlin routine:

Jeff, I LOVE this Carlin routine, and frankly I agree with every word. Not sure what this has to do with us changing his bed, unless you’re saying we’re coddling him too much. But I’m pretty confident that we aren’t. You’re entitled to your opinion, though!