26 Feb 2011

What would you like to rant about?

I can’t stand thoughtless people. Whether it’s in the car, a store or a Starbucks, I think thoughtless people make me angrier than anything else. (I mean, besides useless violence and tyrannical governments.)

I feel like people are getting more and more consciously thoughtless. Β I used to frequently think that people were just rude sometimes without meaning to be. Maybe they were just busy, or had something on their minds, or were in the middle of something awful. And I do think that happens sometimes. But I think that, more often than not, people are PURPOSELY thoughtless, self-involved, and just plain rude. And it makes my blood boil. Β Here are the main offenders:

People who speed up when you put your blinker on, just so you can’t get over.

People who drive in the bicycle lane so they can pass you on the right when the light turns green.

People who cut in line. Anywhere.

People who walk by others who obviously need help.

People who don’t open doors for others.

People who don’t thank you for letting them in front of you in traffic, holding a door open, or stopping to help.

Last week I was making a left and, as the light was turning yellow, the guy behind me honked so loud it scared the crap out of me. Had I made the left when he honked, I would have been hit by the truck that ran the red light coming toward me. I knew he wasn’t stopping, which is why I didn’t turn. I was angry for at least two hours after that. The guy cared far more about his life than he did about anything else, even the possibility of someone doing something very dangerous. Pure thoughtlessness. When it happened, my heart was pumping so fast, I was sweating, and I screamed at him at the top of my lungs. It took everything in me to not follow him.

I am making it a huge priority to do little niceties for people every day. I am trying to let more people in in traffic, I’m smiling more often at people who look like they need a smile, I’m making sure to hold the door open for people. Yesterday I let someone in front of me in line at the grocery store because he only had a few items. He was so grateful, and it was such an insignificant gesture. He must have thanked me seven times. And I bet he did something nice for someone else. I really do believe that if we can all take the time to be a little kinder, it could make a difference in the world. Maybe I’m stupid. But I’d rather be stupid than thoughtless.

Now it’s YOUR turn! Rant, friends!! I’m all ears.

Tags: , , ,

I get mad over the same thing!! I can’t stand rude or thoughtless people. I used to fume silently when people did “selfish” things, but not anymore. I open doors for people, I smile and say nice things to someone who seems to need it, I’ve given money to someone whose been short at the counter, and I try my best to treat people with respect. The reason I no longer keep quiet when people are inconsiderate is because of my son. He’s 14 and I will point out to him that what these people are doing is wrong and that I want him to be more respectful and considerate of people.
    He does really well. He’s kind and considerate. Always rushes to open the door for older people and helps if someone needs help. I hope he continues this when he’s an adult. πŸ™‚

• Reply Kristin says:

Sherry~ thank you for realizing to just keep being positive and not fume because the negative energy wasted to fume is only adding to the negative around us that includes the rude people. And teaching your son about being nice is great too. I have with my son and he too opens doors, tells the cashier to have a good day, or helps out anyone who looks to need it. And he is 17. So keep up the good work!

Sherry… YAY!!!!!!!!!!! SO GREAT! Today I showed Garrett how to hold a door open for people. They thanked him profusely. It was so sweet!! Once again… YAY SHERRY!!!!

2. Reply Allison says:

I will say out loud when someone is rude in public to “SHAME” them! On the road I play chicken next them if Syd is not in my car. I have insurance. Nothing is more annoying in this world now then the RUDENESS we deal w from loud talk, cell phone’s, text messages, bad driving, basic manner’s & the list goes on. Where is Ms. Manners? Is she too busy to help us get back to basics?

Allison, I think she absolutely must be too busy. I stopped doing the crazy shit in my car after I had G-Man. Not worth the risk. Don’t even waste your time. People who are a-holes don’t deserve the anger they can work up in you. Just let it go and have a glass of wine when you get home!

Driving has taken on a whole dimension of distractions for drivers. Adding DVD players in the back seats, video games, cell phones with the ability to hook you up…it has to be un-nerving to drive in the city! Why we feel such an over-whelming need to be connected every minute of every day is symptomatic of some society ill, don’t you think? Don’t get me wrong, the ability to summon help from the accident site or to let someone you know is worrying about your delayed arrival; beyond fabulous!

I was watching my 8 year old grandson’s, basketball game and just a quick look about me found at least 10 people busily engaged in texting, or ? with their cell phones. Meanwhile, they were missing out on one of life’s most precious memories as little people are displaying thier earnest efforts at learning to play a sport. Why bother to come to the game if you are spending the time on-line, insulated from the real life experience before you?

I know, times have changed, but have they changed for the better? Or, have we traded something very precious to satisfy a need to be connected to a cyber-person, place or thing? We need to spend more time in the present, we really do, because, in that moment, you may miss the experience of a lifetime! That first step, word or achievement that comes and goes so quickly, sometimes, literally, in the blink of an eye.

And, I really dislike thoughtless and mean spirited people who treat the rest of us as “props” in thier own private movie.

AL, I agree with every single word, even though sometimes I am doing the same damn thing. (NOT IN THE CAR, THOUGH!) I’m trying to leave me phone alone more now. It really is ridiculous. And I don’t want to look at G 10 years from now and think, “What the hell? He NEVER puts down his phone!” Meaning, I don’t want to be a hypocrite when I tell him to put it down. It really is a shame how we can’t ever be without technology. I do miss “simpler” days.

4. Reply Kristin says:

Right now it does seem to be a lot of rudeness has over taken society. With all the negative around us daily it tends to engulf us. I have many times been , cut off, honked at, or even in the check out line glared at because “god forbid” I want to unload my cart and share that belt that travels to the check out girl to be checked out. Or waiting for that person who has left their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle while looking for something and not moving it out of the way while I am standing there to get by. They fully have looked at me twice but think they own the store and can over take the aisles. (my biggest pet peeve) I wait patiently until they move and they don’t even say “oh I am sorry”.
    It is sad to see how our society has become such an ‘entitlement’ issue. We all share this place and we all have to coexist in it.
    I try every day to be patient and positive. For the negative to change we as people can’t let it take over by playing chicken on the road with someone or just be plain rude but just to smile to others and give our positive energy out there so it can make somone else’s day a better place makes our own lives better (not to mention our blood pressure). The more we do give positive energy the more it will spread. πŸ˜‰

Have a fantastic day,
    40_n_fab

Kristin, I love it!!! Yes! That blatant rudeness at the grocery store!! I KNOW IT! I, for one, appreciate your positive attitude. Let’s keep spreading it like a disease!! I mean, a GOOD disease. Um, you get the point. πŸ˜‰

5. Reply Angela says:

Man Lisa if I begin … U wouldn’t hear the end of it.. I’m a complainer and I hate so many things

U sure u want to hear? I’ll give u a heads up first?? πŸ™‚

LOL. If it’ll make you feel good, go for it! If not, we can just suffice to say that a LOT of things piss Angela off!! There. Will that work??

I am with Angela on this on. Are you sure you want to hear this? Well you did ask so here goes. My son Craig is in a wheel chair. I take him out in public all the time. always have and always will. Here is something you can all teach your kids, if you see a person in a wheel chair and another one pushing please hold the door open for them. Don’t get me wrong I can do it my self but it is hard. I have to turn the chair around and open the door and back him in to the building. I really feel sorry for the ones in a wheel chair that are alone. I have no idea how they do it. If you are in a store, mall, restaurant or any other pubic place, please explain to your kids that they are special needs kids and adults and they are there to be made fun off. they do have feelings too. I know the saying that we used to say when we were kids, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can’t hurt me.” That is wrong words do hurt. It is totally rude to allow your kids to make fun of other people because they look different. I had a nurse in a dr’s office ask me once I could stand being around Craig. He is my son. I love him and am as proud of him as all other moms are of thier kids.

I do have something postive. I take Craig to Walmart all the time. When I am alone with him I push the wheel chair and pull the cart. I have had people help me making turns down the aisle. They are some nice people out there. It is a good rule that we learned in Sunday school all those years ago. “Do unto others that you want others do unto you.” I might have forgotten the correct words to it but the meaning is there.

Thank you, Norma. That is such an important lesson to teach. Plus, so many people are afraid to offer someone help because they don’t want to be insulting. I say it’s better to risk being insulting. If it’s coming from a good place, odds are they’ll want the help!

PS. Another thing I can’t stand is when I send a gift and it is not acknowledge that it was received. I made a Pooh Bear crochet for my nephews daughter who was having her first baby. Not only did she not acknowledged that she received it she posted pictures of the baby with all the gifts they got and not one was with the pooh bear. I think that is the rudest thing that people can do.

8. Reply Angela says:

U ask I will deliver:) Cos now I see people rant I will too:) does make me somehow feel better I do hate many things.

I hate rude people
    People who tease me for going under the knife
    Big whoops!
    I hate people who make there cars loud and pimp then up like such huge dorks on the road! With there music blarring!! Hate hate that!!!
    Idiotheads!!
    I hate public transport, as such has many germs

I had when people sometimes don’t see u there u say hi and it’s like WTF did I wave for!? I feel like an idiot now!
    I being angry when I wake up .. Like for instance today.. My alarm buzzed and I freaked and hate that noise and hate the fact I wantto sleep in and can’t… By the way ur much cheaper than a therapist- hehehe I should do this more often!!!

I hate people who push in!!! Agh my blood boils like u said about driving it took everything to stop filling the person.. In this case- it stopes everything for me to not flick them on the ear and say WTF?!? I don’t think so!!!

I hate when I’m not in America being on holidays:)

only thing I liked today was the fact I’m going to indulged on my smarties chocolate…

Oh one more thing- my throat hurts…

Ok enjoy my rant… Thanks for listening– tell me when u wantto hear more so I can continue to rant:) thanks ange

Ange! That’s a lot to hate!!! I hope there are a lot of things you love, too. We need a balance!! πŸ˜‰

9. Reply Angela says:

Crap I’m re reading my post filling is mentto be following- thanks iPhone…

Oh another thing I enjoyed is that I got to rant and I feel better:)

10. Reply Angela says:

πŸ™‚ yeah I do luv alot of things.. How to find a balance Tis the question ?
    hmm sorry for all the hate… πŸ™‚ hope u have a nice day… Hey oooo .. I luv ur post YES one step closer to clearing all the hate away:)

11. Reply Sara says:

I know I’m WAAAY late for Saturday, but until today was actually having a hard time generating more than a few things to share, so I figured I would just let it go (b/c answering the Saturday question every week has yet to become something I feel required to do). Anyway, this morning I came up with a bunch (even wrote a few down so I would not forget because they were all coming so fast).

Ok. I do not drive because I cannot see well enough, so I ride the bus. In “real” cities, “normal” people also ride the bus. In my city, it is mostly people who seem to have not much to do or many places to be urgently. Also, no manners. So this morning I saw all these things while waiting on the stupid bus (which – #1: was 10 minutes late).

#2: spitting in public. inside the bus shelter.
    #3: smoking in the bus shelter. go outside. let us sit inside.
    #4: smoking a pipe in the bus shelter (not fully enclosed) thus making the entire area unbreathable.
    #5: smoking a cigar ON THE BUS (he got in trouble with the driver after about 15 minutes of people coughing).
    #6: don’t ask me why I have a disabled bus pass. none of your beeswax – just push the little button that lets me use my pass when you are 10 minutes late and I need to get to work.
    #7: get up if someone older than you holding lots of stuff gets on the bus (I was already standing).

Um…yeah. So by the time I got there this morning I had a headache, smelled like a tobacco shop (oooh. I forgot: #8: don’t spit chew into a clear bottle on teh bus. I’m the one that gets kicked off when I barf (not today, but has happened in the past). I hate spitting.)

So then I took the kiddo out for a walk. TWO people asked me if he was going to grow up to be dumb (what they meant was deaf, I think, b/c I wear hearing aids and they got mixed up). I said no. and one woman seemed chagrined and the other kept asking idiotic questions. Baby was by then screaming b/c he wanted to get moving and she was blocking the stroller and asking dumb things. I really don’t mind questions, but come on, maybe she should look things up on the internet.

Ok. Last one: hold the door. If you can see someone heading for the door hold it for them. And if they hold it for you, say thank you. You could even say please and thank you in response to other people. you think?

Ok. I feel better. A little ranty/complainy but totally better than I did ranting and complaining to myself.

SARA!! So glad you ranted! Geez Louise!! It seems you encountered every freaking single type of tabacco in one day!! YUCK! And the tardy driver asked WHY you have a disabled sticker???? And spitting! Spitting makes me sick to my stomach. Well, I hope the rant made you feel better. And you SHOULD feel obligated to answer every, single week. If not, it means I’m terrible at guilt and my mom will be very disappointed in me. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Sara says:

Oh yes! I ranted! I did feel better. I also hate spitting, I’m fine with drooling. I get drooled on a lot at work and that is fine. But, if you do it on purpose (and yes kiddo, I know) you will get put in time out. However, I cannot put all these people at the bus stop in time out. I think that might not end well.

I might not be able to answer EVERY one EVERY single time because I am not going to allow you to make me feel guilty. HAH. Maybe if you sent me some of those cookies….not as a bribe, per se, more as a ..um…product tester? I will try to do so. My move is set for two weeks and I think once everything is packed and moved making a commitment to post something on your website each week won’t see so daunting.