19 Mar 2011

What is your happiest recent moment?

There’s a whole lot of nasty crap going on in the world right now, isn’t there? It’s honestly hard to be optimistic or joyful about things at this point in time. Β That’s why I thought it would be good to reflect on a moment, a short burst of happiness that you’ve had in the last few days, that maybe you could call on when you’re feeling like times are too dark.

Thursday night I had one of those moments. I decided that day to cook a meal of entirely new recipes I hadn’t tried. I logged on to Weelicious.com, where I always seem to get inspiration for meals my husband and son would enjoy. Β I decided to make crepes, which had always intimidated me in the past. I also made hummus and waldorf salad. The crepes were a blast to make, and very easy to flip over. I made 12 of them and stuffed some with salami and cheddar cheese, sort of a pizza-crepe-calzone. I stuffed the others with chicken and feta cheese. I served them with the salad and hummus and we had such a good time eating it all.

At one point I looked over and my son and my husband enjoying the food I had just made, and I felt joyful down to my bones. Garrett said several times how much he liked the pizza crepes and Russ said how much he liked all of it. I liked it all, too!

I used to have daydreams about feeding my husband and kid, laughing around the dinner table, and being asked for seconds and thirds. So, I guess you could say that night was a dream come true. It’s one of those moments I can pull up into my mind whenever I need a smile.

I think in times like these, it’s the little things that matter most: family, friends, laughter, a good meal, hugs, kisses and silliness. (Wait, those are actually the BIG things, aren’t they?)

I want to hear about a happy moment from you. And if you don’t have one, please try to create one soon. It’s good for what ails you. πŸ™‚

1. Reply Mary Chastain says:

It’s a little thing but those are what matters the most right? I was doing dishes & I heard my oldest talking to the baby. She was sitting next to the baby reading her “Goodnight Moon.” When she was finished she read her “Where’s Spot?” I just stood & watched. It made me so happy!

I’ve been really sick for a while now. Was even sick on my birthday. Today, my Sis and I went on a birthday shopping spree. I helped her buy some clothes for an event she has coming up and it was so much fun. This morning I helped my son style his hair for a party he was going to and he gave me a big hug and kiss saying thanks mom. I helped him get the gifts for his friend and he was so happy and proud that I was able to find what he wanted to get him through Amazon. I also surprised him with a small gift too and he loved it. He had a big smile on his face all last night. That brings a smile to my heart πŸ™‚

Sherry, I’m sorry you were sick for so long! That sounds like a really good day. You deserve it!

Hi Lisa! How fulfilling for you:) I wish I were more adventurous when it comes to cooking, but I just dont have that passion!
    Last year my Fiance won tix to Knotts, and also Disneyland. It was so much fun to see our 3 year old Niece experience both for the first time. We are usually passholders, but finances are tight, and car repairs ate up allll the tax return cash, so We were both bummed that we couldnt go to the ONE place we both love. Tuesday morning I was listening to the radio on the way to work, and they were giving away a 4 pack of 2 day passes…and I WON! I have to drive to Burbank next week to get them…:) We are taking our Niece and her folks again this time. They dont get to do things like this often, and we have so much fun! Makes my day to give them that…:) And My niece asked for me today….LOL!

Carla!! That’s so awesome! It must feel so good to have won that and get to treat your family. So cool! I hope I get to hear about the trip!

Ok, this is going to sound silly and vain. I know I should be telling you about the moments when my daughter told me she loved me when she got out of the car on the way in to school, or the text my husband sent just to say he missed me while he was at work, or the awsome spontaneous sexy time we had on Wednesday night or the beautiful 70 degree day we had after a ridiculously long, cold, snowy winter.

But the moment that made me so gleefully happy this week, the moment that made me do a little happy dance and shout, “woo hoo!” out loud in front of a crowd of people, was the moment I found out that the musical theatre class Bill and I are teaching at the children’s cultural workshop for the first time filled up within an hour of registration opening. I felt like a friggin’ rock star whose concert was an immediate sell out. I felt proud and excited and important! And those are really good feelings! People are paying me to have their kids take my class. Their kids want to learn what I have to teach them. I can’t wait to start teaching, to direct and inspire creativity in kids, to prepare them for our show the last day of class. To take a bow afterward and feel that rush again.

To know that I’m about to do something that will inspire feelings of pride and joy and accomplishment in others. That, I think, is what really does it for me, really makes me happy πŸ™‚

Christine, let’s get one thing straight. You ARE a rock star!!! That’s so exciting!! I love that you guys are doing that. Of COURSE it sold out that fast. You guys are special. People know that. So happy for you!

It’s always about family for me. Being a grandparent gives me multiple chances to smile and reflect on how fortunate we are to have them in our lives.

Our daughter-in-law provided the best laugh of the week when she relates telling Aidan, on March 17th, that “Today we are going to wear green to celebrate St Patrick’s Day”. After some 3 yr old thought was given to that, he replied, “Why does Patrick get a special day and not Sponge Bob?” The laughter came at the realization that was something our son,Erik,…Aidan’s Dad, would have said!

Daniel, the 4yr old, has been dictating stories to me for the past week about his imaginary play friends,” Bucko, Rocky and Puppy-Puppy”…the adventures he relates are amazing, so filled with color and minute details, that only a future best-seller could conjure….so, it is, in the end, the simple, loving, everyday things that make me happy and give me hope for the future. I love that you love your family so much and that you are creating and living the moments that will be the cornerstones of Garrett’s life.

That,…. and I have lost 14 pounds in 35 DAYS!! πŸ™‚

AL, that Spongebob comment is priceless. And I would live to hear one of those intricate stories. Garrett is in a phase like that, too. Most of his stories involve dinosaurs, sharks, and Iron Man! You’re a weight loss machine!! Will I even recognize you at Britt’s wedding??

First of all, Lisa, I hope you are feeling better. It is no fun being sick. My special moment this week was with Craig. For those who do not know Craig is special needs. On of his special needs is that he is non verbal and he is also blind. When he wants something he lets out an ear piercing scream like most have never heard. I was sitting in the recliner in the living room and he was on his love seat with his bucket of legos. He puts them together by feel and twills them around in the air. all of a sudden he started making what we call happy noises. It is almost like he is trying to sing. Then he started laughing like I hadn’t heard from him in a few years. It made me feel so good to know that he is so happy being at home with his legos and his love seat. He is a functioning between 6 and 12 months. Today is his 39th birthday.

Oh my gosh, Norma. I’ve said it before. Your life is so different from most people’s, and I know your joys and sorrows are as well. That sounds like a very happy moment. I wish for many more of those moments for you.

7. Reply ange says:

hi lisa

my fav way to recharge is when i come home from a long day of working i just sit down for like an hour relaxing, or whatever maybe eating snacks…than have dinner, than off to watch a dvd i put on..or play on my laptop.dude i dont stay up for long cos im in bed by 10pm..

yup thats my way….no noise….and me time πŸ™‚

i started running so running is an awesome way for me to have that time to myself.
    have my music on and its the best feeling:)

Ange, running is such a fantastic way to get alone time and boost your mood. For me, it’s jogging with my dog. Even when I don’t want to do it, I do it and it feels awesome.

My happiest recent moment is when I realized my dream of visiting Australia is about to come true this June!! Happy, happy, happy dance!!

Laura!!! That’s amazing! Congrats! Care to share how it came to fruition? You don’t have to. Just curious. So great!

Hey Lisa.. My best friend in the world is going over there as an International Scholar in health care to study aboriginal health and can bring a friend. Some unexpected funding came my way and my reservations are made!! I can’t wait. It will only be for a week, but will get to see Melbourne and Sydney. I will have time to explore in the mornings while she is doing her thing and we will have the afternoons free to see the sights.

10. Reply flawlessmom says:

LAURA! So happy for you. AMAZING!!!

Yesterday afternoon I walked out into our front yard, cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled, “Buddy! It’s time for dinner!” And my 7 year old came peddling home on his Spiderman bike. I had a flashback to me hearing my mom’s voice from our front yard and peddling home on “Bluebelle”, my old blue bike. It made me stop in my tracks for a few seconds and really count my blessings.

Milaka, that is one of those “holy shit” moments (I think Oprah calls it an ‘aha’ moment) where you just can’t believe what your life is. I have them almost daily. You look around, realize you have offspring that you love so much, and yes… Count your blessings. And when they make you see yourself as a kid again, those are the best and craziest moments.
      Welcome, by the way!!! Thanks for joining us!

12. Reply M.L.E. says:

Lisa, I know you would disagree, but from the outside, you have such a close to perfect life! And I’m not being sarcastic…..I think I’m a little jealous over here!