26 Mar 2011

Sometimes I want to sit down at my laptop, type “Flawless Saturday Question” in the title box, and have this be the post:

What’s your favorite color?

I mean, you’d have an answer, right? You’d either say, “Blue” or “Red” or my personal favorite… “Orange”. Yes, I really like orange. And it’d be an actual question. But it wouldn’t really get you thinking. It wouldn’t inspire you or make you smile. It might make you laugh and say, “Oh, Lisa. You’re so silly!” Which in some ways is good enough. But I like making you think.

So how about this instead:

What’s your favorite recent purchase?

Oooh, yeah baby! That’ll get you thinking!! I mean that is INSPIRING!! ย Well, it’s a question. So shut it.

Yesterday I took G to the toy store at the mall after school because he had Christmas money left over from Grandma Farm. He’s been fantastic at keeping his side of our deals lately, so I thought he deserved a new toy (that was technically already paid for by someone else, if you see where I’m going.)

We spent over an hour at the store. He checked out every single item. Every wind-up toy. Every sticker book. Every dinosaur and shark. Every puzzle. Every instrument. I was excited when he was leaning toward the cat-piano-thingy. But then he kept looking.

He ended up in the super-hero aisle and he laid his eyes on the one bit of Iron Man paraphernalia he didn’t yet own. It’s a giant helmet that lights-up and talks. He wanted it.

“Garrett, come on! You have so much Iron Man stuff!”

“I want this.”

“What about the piano?”

“I want this.”

I asked him about thirty more times. His mind was made up. We were spending his money, not mine. He got it. (And I had a coupon!)

Well, he loves it. And he’s excited about it. And I’m very happy for him. I haven’t bought myself anything in a helluva long time, so I thought this story was the most apropos. ย So let me live vicariously through YOU, dear Reader, as you tell me what you’ve bought yourself recently that you just absolutely love. And talk slowly. I want every detail.

1. Reply Allison says:

Lisa, you’re going to be bored to death with what I bought. I’m bored typing it out. A overpriced zipper Dodger sweater so I don’t freeze my ass off at the game. My life has come to that. Alyssa Milano designed sportswear. Pathetic! Oh, had to pick up a little one for Sydney. Does that still count as shopping for ME? My favorite color is Purple in all shades ๐Ÿ™‚
    Happy Saturday night….yes, I have tonight to read & to respond to your blog while potty training!

Allison, ooooh… Potty training. Hope it goes well! That actually sounds like a GREAT purchase to me! I have my eye on the new Victoria’s Secret Dodger wear. It’s so yummy!!!

I felt well enough to go to the mall Friday and I spent my birthday money on some new clothes! I was very excited about it. I got a light orange under shirt with a bright orange cardigan. 3 more shirts and 2 more cardigans and 1 belt. I also, picked up some undergarments at Victoria’s Secret. It was soo much fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sherry, Woo Hoo! Sounds like quite a haul! I’m a cardigan nut. I have way too many. Hope you’re still feeling well!

Okay . . you are going to think I’m INSANE but. . . I am into extreme couponing and saving money on daily things. The other day, I went to the grocery story and came home with 5 stuffed reusable grocery bags and paid less than $20 for everything. I saved almost $80! That is how I get my shopping thrills these days. It is not time-consuming – I spend maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours a week on planning my shopping and I save 50% on average.

Michelle, I find that incredibly impressive. I wish I knew how to do it. The only thing that freaks me out about it is buying a ton of stuff you don’t need just because it’s cheap. Does that make sense? But I would LOVE to save a ton of money on groceries. How did you learn how to do it?

• Reply Michelle says:

Lisa,

First, you only buy what you NEED and USE and you stock up when the price is low. Then, you only buy enough to last you through the next good sale. After you’ve been doing it a while, you start to know what a good price is and YOU determine what your “must buy it at” price is. You also learn when certain items are on sale (ex., body wash is “in season” now).

I learned how to do it from a friend who gives classes. She gave us permission to share so I have been passing along my notes along with her handouts but I think they are confusing since her handouts were a guideline to a discussion. I am putting together my notes in a way that I think explains it in more detail. I’d be happy to share them once they are finished.

Michelle, I would LOVE to see what you put together when you’re done!! That’s awesome. I’m very impressed!

4. Reply Emily Brauch says:

My most favorite recent purchase….Well, I’m ohhh and ahhhing over my vintage shiny brite ornaments I got at an Estate Sale yesterday, and they are in my favorite color…a yellowy-limey not to bright green!

I don’t think you are going to like my answer. Here goes. Two weeks ago I bought Craig a new wheel chair. In a way it is for me. It is higher with the handles higher so I don’t have to bend over to push him. It helps when we go to the mall and to Walmart. It doesn’t hurt me so much to push him.

I would love to hear Michelle way to use coupons smartly. I would love and need to save money at the grocery stores.

Favorite color would be light pink and light blue.

Okay, this one is EASY! A new kitchen garbage can! I mean, it is state of the art and how I am loving it! I am calling it “Gramma’s magic garbage can” for the grandkids sake…they love it too!
    Bed Bath and Beyond, flat-sided (mine cannot be hidden away under the sink), tall, dark and handsome, it is! I hate anything stainless steel (who thought that was a good idea?) and this is charcoal gray with a few, stainless accents that would make anyone envious who gazed upon it…well, a lot of people.
    But, the best feature??? The step on lid lifter with the deluxe, soft closing lid! I’m not kidding…no battery sensors for me…old school with a new twist! It has an animal/kid lock if one should need that, but to say, dealing with kitchen trash is now almost,…a pleasure!
    It has custom fitted bags, which will require spending a bit more, but at our age, the amount of garbage has dwindled to a trickle, by comparison when we had the family in residence. So, like the price of gas…we adjust somewhere else in the budget to accommodate the small increase in cost.
    I LOVE this can! My little kitchen world’s star! (If this can were a car…it would be a Mercedes convertible!) Ah…the simple things in life.

AL, never in my life have I heard someone speak so lovingly about a garbage can. It made me want the very same one. I even wept. (Have I mentioned lately how awesome I think you are???)

Fav color…GREEN! Love it in all ways. Especially right now on my commute, all the hills on my way home are a great green from all the rain.
    My latest aquisition has actually been a few books. I went to my local Borders store, which is closing, so they are clearing out books and dvds. I allowed myself to stop in and take an hour or so to just wander and look, and see what caught my eye. I LOVE having options on my shelves! I NEVER go and just spend time to myself like that! And on Tuesday, Tangled comes out on DVD:)

Carla, G’s favorite color is green, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Thanks for informing me about Tangled. I’m dying to see it AND to show it to G, who refuses to see movies in a theater! Damn book stores closing. Makes me sick to my stomach. What’s this world coming to, anyway? It makes me very sad.

8. Reply Mary says:

It’s quite simple. I was looking for the last thing for my entrance way & I found a little lamp at Target. It goes perfectly with everything!! Lame I know! ๐Ÿ™‚

There is a craft show that is held twice a year in spring and fall that I always attend. There is a family from Alabama that make the most amazing baskets that are practical, and indestructible. I have bought my fair share and use them daily. They have not been at the show in about 2 years. I was sooooo happy to see them last weekend! I bought a fruit basket, a magazine holder and a general purpose basket in all the new colors they had. I love that they are handmade and that I have met the artists that make them. Cassie and Joe are the best and remember us from show to show and even though it has been a couple of years, it was like catching up with old friends..

Laura, that’s awesome!! I love buying stuff from the people who actually crafted them. Not that I do it very often, but whenever I have, it’s a nice feeling. Very cool.

This weekend I bought a bunch of flowers for my patio planters. I bought all of them in pinks, whites and (my favorite) purples. Daisies, vincas, dianthus, petunias and impatiens. I can see them out my breakfast window and they make me smile! I love that everything is waking up and turning green again!

I’m going to cheat and add one more – a recent purchase that my husband made. He bought 3 tons of crushed granite and made a wonderful sitting area under our oak tree in the back yard. Our backyard is now ready for spring! Woo hoo!

Milaka, that is all adorable and made me a little jealous. So now I hate you. But only a little.
      I’m horrible with any kind of plants or flowers and I keep saying I want to make my backyard adorable and I never do. However, I’ve been exercising so my “other” backyard is getting cuter. THAT has to count for something!

• Reply Koch says:

I know you hate Facebook, but, “LIKE”! I am your other backyard’s biggest Lorax! (Wait, that little dude only spoke for the trees. Well, I speak for ALL of it. Your other backyard that is…)

• Reply Milaka says:

Yes, having an adorable “other” backyard counts. Currently my “other” backyard looks like J-Lo’s! (. . . if J-Lo were 43 and hadn’t been to a gym in a year. But . . . you know.)

I guess I failed to mention that last year was the first year that my patio flowers made it past June. Heh. I have high hopes for this year!

Milaka, I’m sure both of your backyards are just fine!! (and better to have stuff dying in the real backyard, not the other one. Right?)

11. Reply map0621 says:

Two things: t-shirts and a George Foreman grill. My old shirts had holes and my daughter enlarged them so much, I had a self-venting system going on. The grill was the best. We got one as a wedding gift lo those many years ago. But this new one has removable grill plates!!! I know this seems odd to get excited about but as the primary cook and cleaner, let me tell you how wonderful it is to simply remove those plates and clean them instead hauling that whole machine to the sink and washing without gettng the thing wet.

I know, it’s boring. Oh, and IBC cream soda, the fancy kind.

• Reply Milaka says:

When I was thinking of getting a waffle iron, a friend loaned me her George Foreman grill with removable / interchangeable plates! Yes, her grill became a waffle iron. It rocked. So I’m with you on the removable plates. (We wound up not getting a waffle iron. The pop up waffles are SO much easier. Heh. And I found a smaller GF on clearance for like $15 so that’s what I got. Still love it!)

Map, LOVE the Foreman!!!! Now I must get the one with removable plates. So great!!!!!

12. Reply uncle royd says:

Lisa,
    Can I play also?
    Yesterday we went to Costco and bought a heavy duty gas powered (sorry Greenpeace, and Al Gore) powerwasher!
    See up here in the NW with the sun almost non existent or so low in the horizon for 5 months of the year, the green slime can invade my back patio like W did IRAQ after 9-11. With a dog and kids to track this in the house, I have spent time on my knees with a brush trying to keep this at bay.
    I have been eyeing this sucker for months and finally broke down and bought it.
    So there i was yesterday, still battling a monster cold, in the rain and hail (no lie) power washing the hell out of my concrete patio.
    Best purchase since my Dyson three years ago!
    Royd

Royd, of course you can play!! But only if you’re not talking about a power washer of vacuum cleaner. ANYTHING else goes!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Reply Sara says:

I just bought a ton of “things” to pull my new apartment together. After a long trip to IKEA I came home with a red shag rug. I love it! Totally not something I would usually look at (too bright! Cats will destroy it!) but I love it.

Ok. I posted. ๐Ÿ™‚