16 Apr 2011

Do you buy things at yard sales? Do you ever have yard sales?

Since I’m in Richmond filming the Messiest Home in the Country… I figured this was a fitting question.

I used to LOVE having yard sales. I’d even make coffee and buy donuts for my customers. I hated the haggling part. I could never understand that someone would walk away from something they really wanted because I asked for 50 cents, and they wanted to pay a quarter. I always stood my ground.

I’d rather give it to charity than sell it for nothing.

Clean House has sort of taken away my ability to do yard sales, kind of in the way “Mad TV” took away my love of costumes. I wore them too much in one year to ever want to wear them again.

I LOVE the Clean House yard sales, but I take my own stuff to Goodwill.

I don’t think I’ve ever made a yard sale purchase, but I have some friends who have gotten some treasures.

So… Are you a yard sale fanatic?

1. Reply Mary says:

My father is addicted to yard sales! Every time I pass one it makes me think of him & how he would drag us to them on Fridays and Saturdays. I loved it b/c you never know what youd find! I can’t wait for him to retire & move to OK so I can join him on his yard sale adventures & bring the kids w/us. I personally take my stuff
    to Goodwill or Purple Heart. It’s easier that way. I saw how much of a pain yard sales can be & I dont have the patience or organization skills!

Mary, that’s so interesting that your dad is that into it!! It sounds like you’ll have a great time with him and the kids when you get to do it with him!

I worked an yard sale for charity once in Philadelphia PA back in the 70’s. It was no fun at all. I also don’t go to them. To many people. I am not and never have been a people person. I have no patience. I know a lot of people have gone and have found a lot of treasures. I have nothing but great respect for all that do go and have them.

I think it is great that your yard sale turned out so good. Just curious Did the people know that Mark wasn’t going to be there? Stuff that I no longer need or can use I donate to the center that Craig goes to. Especially craft supplies.

Norma, I’m not sure if they knew or not. I thought it was public knowledge by now because of the amount of yard sales without him, but I guess I was wrong!

No, I don’t go to yard sales. And, we tend to not keep things around so we never have enough for a yard sale. We donate to either Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity (we are in the construction business).

But, I LOVE Freecycle!!!! I give away a lot of things through that AND I get a lot of things through there too. What is the best thing I’ve gotten through Freecycle, you ask? You won’t believe this but my next door neighbor! I live in a rural area and my nearest neighbor is several hundred yards away on the other side of woods. I posted that I had some baby gates available and a woman replied that she’d like them. Turned out she lives next door. We have become friends (her oldest is 2 yrs. younger than my youngest) and we even made a path through the wooded area so that we can walk in 20 seconds instead of driving which takes a few minutes and is the only other way to get from one house to the other.

Other than my neighbor, I’ve also gotten a lot of good quality clothing for me and my daughters as well as some furniture. It is a great way to recycle.

Michelle, that is such a GREAT STORY!! I can not believe you made such a great friend through a website like that! Plus, it’s every little kid’s dream. I remember wanting to live next door to my best friend and dig a tunnel between our homes. That’s basically what you’ve done!!!
      I’ve never heard of Freecycle. It sounds incredible. I’m going to check it out.

4. Reply map0621 says:

I don’t but my wife’s family are HUGE yard salers! They get the classified ads and create a route through the neighborhoods. There was one time my wife’s uncle took the ladies to the yard sales and he instituted a “No Elderly Left Behind” program by bringing a step stool so they could get in and out of the van easier.

Map, LOL!! I love it!! OMG, mapping it out cracks me up. People take yard sales so seriously!!!! Her uncle sounds hilarious. That is one fun family!!!

5. Reply Sandy Lopez says:

I go to yard sales in Jacksonville Beach, Sawgrass, Ponte Verde! Fabulous yard sales! Truly fabulous ; ) ! Also my Military families hold yard sales every May and Sept nation widejust before they move! They have fabulous items! Cause they need to figure out want they really needed! It’s usually on base! California has a lot of them! I used to be an Officier wife in the Navy, yard sales on base or post are amazing! They also have their own building like a Goodwheel! However, they only take items ppl can use! Have a great day, talk to you later! ; )

Thanks for the answer, Sandy!! I love the idea of a big yard sale right before moving. Very smart.

My Fiance and I are avid Yard Salers. We also hit Rummage Sales and Estate Sales on the weekends. Kind of a hobby, and I collect old books so It is always a Treasure hunt. I have to say It can make a good turn on investment if you Ebay at all too. I LOVE Freecycle! I have given and recieved so much there!
    The BEST Yard Sale find ever has to be my Kitten Wiz…she was found at a local sale:) But she was free:)

Awww, you found Wiz at a yard sale?? So awesome, Carla!! If I asked my hubs to go to a yard sale…. Forget it!!!

I am not a yard sale fan. However, I have attended 2 Clean House yard sales. One in Baltimore, MD and one in Wayne, NJ. In NJ, I got to meet flawlessmom herself, the fabulous Lisa Arch!

I love old cookbooks and in NJ, I found a 1963 edition of McCall’s Cookbook. My mother and grandmother were both avid McCall’s readers and cooked up many a recipe from the magazine. I have fond memories of the Betsy McCall paper doll and clothes that were included in each issue. The cookbook is in great shape. It reminds me of both of them and I am so happy to have it in my kitchen!

8. Reply Angela says:

Awesome messiest house can’t wait to watch it but who knows when it’ll air in Australia.

Hmm, I cant say I’m a yard sales person. I have one of those phobias of second hand stuff ..