26 Apr 2011

G and Grandpa

16 Comments Family

Two nights ago, Grandma Joan cooked dinner for the first time since Grandpa Art passed away.

Russ, G and I went to her house for some tri-tip, broccoli, and kugel.

There was something bittersweet about sitting around the kitchen table. It felt odd and yet so familiar.

The food was good, the conversation lively.

After we ate, Grandma brought pens out for G to draw with.

As he worked, he uncapped another pen, then another. And as he was about to draw a new picture, my mother and I stared in awe as he meticulously arranged the caps, just so, side by side. My father did those sorts of things. He’d arrange his silverware before meals so the ends were perfectly aligned. My father is clearly alive in Garrett.

A week ago G said to me, “Mom, did Grandpa Art die?”

“He did”, I told him.

“He’ll be at Grandma Joan’s soon”, he said.

“I hope so”, was my reply.

Well, he showed up that night. He certainly did.

16 Responses to “G and Grandpa”

Big Hugs Lisa <3

Awwww . . . I believe with all of my heart that our kids are able to somehow communicate with “the other side.” When my daughter was very little, she had the same “twitch” that my paternal grandmother had. She couldn’t walk or talk yet, but every once in a while, she’d twitch the exact same way. The first few times, it freaked me out. At one point, while she was exhibiting her independent/stubborn streak, I said to her, “Hey, I wanted you to be the other grandmother – laid back, easy-going – but, no, I got this grandmother who was opinionated and stubborn. Oh, well.” I swear that little baby smiled and winked at me!

Michelle, there’s no question in my mind about kids’ abilities to “see” those who have passed. And certainly, they carry on traits of their relatives without even meaning to. It’s pretty amazing.

3. Reply @AnEffingLegend / Pat says:

That is so beautiful, Lisa. Big hugs to you and G!

4. Reply Robb says:

that reminds me of Mike and the Mechanics song – The Living Years…and a lot of my nephew and my father… it’s amazing how they are so in tuned and don’t even know it…

I love this! Have no doubt, our loved ones never leave us, especially the little ones!

6. Reply Tracy K says:

He’s always nearby. Sending love. Xoxo

7. Reply Koch says:

I like this SO much better than “he’s looking down on us, smiling”.