07 May 2011

What does Mother’s Day mean to you?

Whether you’re a mother, a daughter, a son, or a husband… You most likely have had a mother, or are related to one. So, you’re most likely celebrating Mother’s Day in some way.

I always have family over for Mother’s Day and I always cook. This year I’m making it easy on myself and ordering in a big Italian feast. This way, I won’t be stressed and I’ll be able to visit with everyone. I’ve been working a lot, so this is my present to myself.

I feel lucky to be a part of this celebration; to celebrate the thing I am most proud of being. I hope to get to sleep in a bit. I hope for breakfast in bed. And I hope for some extra kisses, both from my kid and for my mom.

I hope all of you moms get special time with your families, a chance to reflect and relax, and that someone lets you know how special you are, for caring as much as you do and giving as much as you can.

Happy Mother’s Day

What will you do to celebrate? And what does Mother’s Day mean to you?

1. Reply Tracy Annable says:

I cancelled dinner with daughter to host a party for her friends Birthday. She will be 25 and her family has nothing planned. My children honor me daily by living a respectable life. It is in giving we are truly blessed. Happy Mother’s Day to you and thanx for the blog, I enjoy itt.

Tracy, that is AWESOME!!!!! What a fantastic “Mommy” thing to do! You deserve to be honored today. (Well, two days ago.) 😉

2. Reply Myranda says:

I was hoping to celebrate this Mother’s Day weekend by going to the Crayfish Festival just up 101 in Lakeside, OR but have spent all day in bed. My boyfriend’s dad invited us over for a BBQ tomorrow but who knows how I’ll feel. I wish I could spend it with my wonderful mother but being over 400 miles away makes it difficult. I’ll celebrate with her in 2 weeks when I go to visit! I hope you have a great day!!!

Myranda, I’m so sorry you weren’t feeling well on Mother’s Day! I hope your trip in two weeks makes up for all of it!!

Reflecting on my memories of my own Mother, a women ahead of her time as someone. She taught me so many things by her example, that have given me strength when life happens. Her life was not easy but she perservered in a world where women could only hope to be an executive’s secretary, doctor’s assistant or head waitress, period. Widowed at 30, living far from her family, with a seven year old and a nine month old, begain putting our life back together.

I learned there is honor in living one’s life with integrity and not to be afraid of hard work! I know now, why she was so proud of and so in love with her grandchildren and what became more of a tragedy when her life ended too soon to see what amazing grandchildren and great grandchildren she has!

They would have known a woman with a sense of humor and a talent for being funny without trying and that family comes first, always. A woman who was fealess and relished every chance to be together or to lend a helpful hand to anyone in need. They would have learned about camping and catching fish, for sure, as she loved living close to the wilderness areas and exploring every rivlet that could possibly hide a brook trout….trust me on this, as a child of a thousand camping trips.

So, celebrate your day by honoring the amazing women who are lucky enough to become Mothers and can find the strength to be a MOM on those days that have snotty noses, endless diaper changes, sleep deprived days and cranky teethings, it all ends too soon! Happy Mother’s Day Lisa, my Mom would have loved YOU!

AL, what a lovely tribute to your mom. And you got me all choked up with that last line!! Thanks for saying that. Based on everyone in your family, I know I would have loved her too. Happy Mother’s Day. xo

Today I got up really early to go have breakfast with my mom, Sis, and my sister’s SIL. On Facebook, we have all change our profile pictures to pictures of our mom’s. My mom was already in my pic, so I changed it to a photo of her and my dad when they were in their 20’s. As a surprise, I found an outfit similar to the one she was wearing in photo as well as the retro glasses she was rockin’. I then wore the outfit and glasses to breakfast this morning. It was quite a hit! Lol. She loved it and the gifts we got her.
    I’m home now and got some sweet cards from my boys(including from the dog.) I also got some very nice gifts. I’m going to try for a nap and then we will have whatever the boys would like to eat 🙂
    I hope you have the best Mother’s Day ever <3 I also want to wish everyone else a very Happy Mother's Day 🙂

5. Reply Tina says:

Hi Lisa – great question. I hope Mother’s Day reminds us of all the fabulous mother figures in our lives that guide and shape us into the women we become. Moms are number one, but lest we forget the aunties, grandma’s, sisters and girlfriends that play such an important role in our development as children and eventually as mothers. Sounds like you had a beautiful day. Well deserved.
    Tina @ Three In The Bed

Well . . . I worked. Both of the middle school musical theatre classes that I teach have their class performance on Tuesday, so I spent the day doing last minute stuff. BUT Hubby took the kids swimming (read: got them out of my hair) and he cooked dinner for all of us. Not just anything, though – pork loin with apricot glaze and then peach cobbler (gluten free for me!) for dessert. Yeah, the man rocks.

For me, Mother’s Day is much more about the kids. I honestly don’t feel that I need a day “for me” because my family is pretty great about supporting me and thanking me and showing me that they appreciate me. Yeah, there are lapses when I feel like yelling, “Hey! Do you even SEE me?”, but those are the exception around here. But the kids LOVE going with Hubby to pick out presents for me. And I love seeing their faces when I open the gift. That’s the best part!

Milaka, that is so awesome that your hubs made that lovely meal!!

I agree with your sentiments about Mother’s Day. I enjoyed spending mine with my husband and kid, even though a lot of it was spent CLEANING! I enjoy the time with them, so why rob myself of it on Mother’s Day??