11 May 2011

Little Shits

21 Comments Uncategorized

Someone help me with this. And please feel free to tell me if I’m being too harsh.

There’s always a couple little shits at the park. Yeah, I said it. Little Shits. You know them. You’ve met them. They’re the ones who pour sand on the slides, and throw sand at each other. They’re the ones who find giant sticks and run as fast as they can with them, bringing them onto the playground equipment and wielding them like swords. They’re the ones who don’t have any parents or grandparents… Not even nannies, anywhere near them.

I don’t like these kids. Sorry. I don’t. But you know who I like even less? The parents who should be watching them, but aren’t. I don’t even know if the parents are on the premises. But if they are, they’re on a bench several yards away, chatting with their asshole friends or playing Angry Birds on their iPhones.

Don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing wrong with Angry Birds.

Tonight we took G to the park so we could run around for an hour before it was time to get ready for bed. When we got there, I was surprised by the huge volume of kids running around at that time of night. But I was even more surprised by the lack of parents. Three boys, about the age of 8 or 9, were running around like crazy (which is fine), and dumping large amounts of sand onto the slide that many kids were trying to come down. (Which is not fine.)

Parents? Anyone?

A little girl who appeared to be a sister of one of the boys kept saying, “Why do you do this every time we come to the park?” Then she’d go away for a few minutes only to come back and say, “Mom says you’re never going to be allowed to come here again.”

WHAT MOM? THERE IS NO MOM! NO ONE WAS AROUND TO WATCH THESE KIDS RUIN EVERYONE ELSE’S TIME!!

They persisted. More and more sand on the slide. More and more sand all over the place. Then they started throwing it. Still no parents. And I realized I was looking at them like I was Cruella DeVille and they were Dalmations. “Please stop throwing sand”, came the voice of reason, “It could get in the eyes of other kids. It’s not a nice thing to do.” I was amazed. Who had the wherewithall to finally get these kids to see what they were doing?

It was me. No one else cared.

Moments later I was across the playground with G and glanced over to see what the little shits were doing. Back to throwing sand on to the slide.

Then G saw some wet sand and picked it up. He cocked his arm back, ready to throw. “DON’T!”, I said. “We don’t throw sand. It’s not a good thing to do.” He immediately put the sand down and went on playing.

Amazing what a kid will do when someone is there, paying attention to them.

He and I ran around, pretending to be astronauts and Spongebob. Then he found a kid to repeatedly jump off a big rock with.

About an hour after we had gotten there, we were leaving. The little shits were still making a mess of everything.

I feel bad for being angry with them. It’s not their fault. They’re a product of parents who don’t care, or are just plain too lazy to teach their children right from wrong. Honestly, I find that to be sad and pathetic. And I’m annoyed that I have to deal with the little shits they’re creating.

Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not saying kids who have attentive parents can’t turn out to be bad. I’m just saying it would be nice to see them at least get the opportunity to learn how to be good. Without that, it’s almost a sure thing… They’re going to turn out to be… Oh, you know!

21 Responses to “Little Shits”

Amen. Amen. Amen. I’ve said things, too, and it’s amazing sometimes how they LISTEN when someone tells them to do something and obviously means it. Sometimes.

Then again, there’s a reason the drinking fountain at the park doesn’t work anymore. Because apparently it’s fun to put rocks and sand down it. Repeatedly. After it’s been fixed. More than once.

2. Reply Meredith says:

You are too kind, I would have thrown sand at them.

3. Reply Allison says:

I’m so with you! I see these little bitches at the park pull crap like push on my daughter if I don’t watch her every single second. Forgive me if I need to tie up my shoe not to trip w the brat toddlers who have NO ONE watching them BUT ME! I’m so sick of seeing parents back out on park dates or granny getting stuck w the ADHD boy or the nanny trying to belong. The one pet peeve I have…toddlers mixed with big kids! What is that all about? My almost 3 year old has Nothing in common with the 9 year old Selena Gomez wanna be at the park. Thank You, this was a MUCH needed REAL blog entry. Really does PISS me off to see Bitchy little girls & little shits rule the park with NO Adults watching. I fear for my daughter & G’s generation. Not kidding. I’m in my kids life for a reason to be her first teacher. What a true blessing

Allison, I knew this would touch a nerve, but WOW! I think I touched a LOT of them with you!! Glad I posted it. Apparently, I’m not alone.

4. Reply David says:

Back in the day (meaning the 1970’s), such instances would have earned you a Class-One ass-whipping from either parent (I can tell you, I can still CLEARLY remember such instances to this day). Children such as you’ve described have no real guiding structures in their lives, hence they act like misfits. And these days, with all the ‘don’t-discipline-your-kids-because-DCFS-will-get-you’ paranoia (in many cases, it’s warranted as some parents are folks who should NEVER sire any child, but that’s my opinion), it’s gotten worse. My fear is this–what in God’s Name is it going to be when our grandkids come about…? Not a really cheery thought, sometimes.

However, GREAT job on keeping G-man in line, and hang in there, lady! All’s the best!!!

D

Ah yes… The 70’s. Those days are long gone, David. But I’m sure there were plenty of little shits back then, too.

5. Reply Dana says:

And this is why we don’t even GO to the park anymore… The last time I was there it was packed with these kids and no parents ANYWHERE! I want my daughter to socialize but the swing set in the back yard will have to do…

Dana, that sucks. Maybe we need to create parks that are membership only so we can make rules! If you break the rules, you get kicked out!

6. Reply M.L.E. says:

The teacher in me ALWAYS causes me to say something to the misbehaving kids…who cares if their parents aren’t happy with someone else parenting their child? SOMEONE needs to. And if it is adversely affecting your child’s or another child’s experience, then you have every right to do so, and cannot be considered to be sticking your nose in someone else’s business, and I will tell a parent that if they object. Too many fucking people think that they’re the only human beings on the planet, and I’m sick of it.

I rarely address the parent directly, but I have been known to make comments in a loud voice that can be overheard by said parent, about how unbelievable it is that no one is stopping this child from doing whatever misbehavior…it’s non-confrontational directly to the parent, and is funny how often when someone has drawn attention to it indirectly, all of a sudden said parent jumps in and does something.

I have absolutely no problem reprimanding little shits. And their parents too. If you are a parent, and your kid is being a little shit, and you are doing nothing about it, know that I will be in your kids face and then in your face. Public property gives me the right to expect a safe environment for my kid to play. If you are a little shit who is threatening my kid’s safe playtime, know damn well that I am going to put you and your parent in your respective places.

Yes, I’m a tired mommy, and yes, I need that few minutes to park my tired ass on a park bench and catch a breather while my kid runs amok with other kids of other tired mommies. I get it. I do. But you can bet your ass that if my kid steps out of line, that my ass will be off that park bench in a heartbeat to get my kid back on track. AND you can rest assured that I will also put YOUR kid back on track if YOUR lazy ass does not get up and parent your little shit of a kid!

I’m all about the old “it takes a village” thing. When I was a kid, any mommy on the street would grab you by the ear and drag you home if you were out of line. When I leave Kate with friends, it is made clear that she is to respect that other parent as she would me. And when I watch other kids, you can bet that I will reprimand as needed.

I hate that kids can’t be reprimanded in public. Makes me crazy. There is NO REASON to not give a child boundaries and discipline and expect proper behavior, especially in public! In public we as mommies should band together and provide a safe environment for all of our children.

I’m sure there are times when Kate acts up in front of others. No child is perfect and no parent is perfect. But I really, really hope that if another parent sees my kid stepping out of line before I do that they would gently remind her to not be such a little shit. And you can be sure that I will absolutely, without a second thought, return the favor to your little shits whenever they need me to. And there’s no need to thank me, it’s really my pleasure to help.

8. Reply Julie says:

We don’t have kids. I have to thank the parents who’ve already written here, though, for being conscientious.

For the most part, we’re pretty easygoing, and we like kids. We spend a lot more time at the off leash dog park in our community than the swings n’ slide place, but it’s the same stuff. My husband had an encounter a few weeks ago that we are still frustrated over.

The off leash area is clearly marked. It’s not like it’s a mistake to venture in there, and we’ve seen every breed of dog there from Chihuahuas to Great Danes. It’s the dog Disneyland. That’s their place to run and play. If the dog is misbehaving, the owner is expected to remove him, or the other dog owners will let the owner know this is unacceptable.

Our chocolate Lab spied a little boy at the park with his parents, and ran over to say “hi”. He sat. He didn’t jump on the child, or do anything remotely threatening. The parents freaked out. After all, their son is “afraid of big dogs”.

Why would you bring a child who didn’t like “big dogs” to a dog park that is primarily used by Labs, Golden Retrievers, Great Danes, and other larger breeds?

We’ve met other parents there that are still in the “maybe we should get a dog” stage, and bring their kids to “meet” the dogs. Our dog LOVED two little boys throwing the ball for him, for instance. We had a great time with them, too. It’s all supervised.

Needless to say, we’ve seen this before, and it’s really frustrating to both of us. The off leash dog park is not the optimal place for kids under 5, or kids that are unsupervised. If someone doesn’t want their child approached by a friendly dog, don’t bring them to the off leash park!

JULIE!!! You are so right!! We used to bring Bogie to an off-leash park all the time. Some of the dogs could get aggressive, so you have to watch them. (Some dog parents are total assholes too, by the way. Same as at the park.)
      When we had Garrett, we stopped going. Know why? It’s UNPREDICTABLE! Any parent who brings their kid there, especially one that isn’t used to dogs, is a tool. Unless they’re on high alert, one parent watching the dog, the other watching the kid. Anything less is irresponsible.
      You rule. And it sounds like Moose does, too. But we already knew that.

I have to be honest and say that my first instinct was to write and defend the parents of the shits. Because, to be honest, my son has been a shit on the playground. But then I remembered: I SAW him be a shit (his mission in life for a while was to build dams of gravel on every slide) and I told him to stop. And he did. Had he not, then the trip to the park would have been over.

So I find that I cannot defend the POS (parents of shits)!

Your post has made me more aware of my attitude at the park, though. Now that Buddy is seven, I tend to get more absorbed in my conversations with other moms or get more engrossed in my book or whatever. I am more relaxed about watching him because he’s pretty much able to take care of himself and negotiate the playscapes and slides and swings, etc. I do make sure that I do the periscope thing every 5-10 minutes – pop up off of my bench and have visual contact. But . . . I think that all those previous trips to the park where I corrected him prepared him for more independence and taught him the rules of play – don’t throw the gravel, don’t build dams on EVERY slide (our park has two slides side by side and there is one that is always being dumped upon by the kids), watch out for kids who are smaller, etc. Yes, I still have to sometimes tell him to put down the stick or to drop that handful of gravel if he wants to live, but those times are few and far between. And, yes, I’m THERE TO TELL HIM!!!!

Also, if someone were to come up to me and tell me that he was throwing rocks or being a shit, I would apologize, HE would apologize and Mr. Buddy would be in the car on the way home in a flash.

We have a different “shit” problem at our park – it’s the angsty teen skater shits who go and swing on the swings and cuss a blue streak around the kids. I haven’t seen them in a while, but I’m gunning for them!

I am not familiar with this situation. Generally, we will decide to grab some breakfast and go eat in the park. The kids there are well behaved and it seems like there is always a parent around. I am glad you stepped in tho…..
    I did happen to be working one day, and a woman actually said to their kid “I hate being your mommy” BOY did that bring well deserved comments to her from other moms! The kid was only maybe 4………:(

11. Reply Angela says:

Agreed. Well written:)
    I hate them too. call children services … Than problem gone:D ah if only huh?