21 May 2011

What’s your “party” persona?

Russ and I went to a big party last night. It was for Clean House on the rooftop of a fancy hotel in Hollywood.  There was an open bar and passed hors d’oeuvres and it was fun and festive.

I began the evening with a dirty martini: Vodka, thank you. I love martinis, but I usually opt for wine instead. Wine’s better for you, has less calories, and is easier to sip. But last night, I felt like a martini girl. It was delicious and cold and perfect. Then I had another and found it equally enjoyable.

Then I was a tad tipsy. Not sloppy, mind you. But I was definitely tipsy. I’m rarely tipsy, so I decided to enjoy it. Plus, I knew I’d be driving us home, and for the next three hours I’d be drinking water and eating. (Not to mention schmoozing and yapping and hugging and chatting.)

We had a fantastic time. I got to hang out with a lot of lovely folks. We laughed a ton. My “party persona” is definitely one of a social butterfly. I’ve been like that since I was a kid. I love to talk to as many people as I can talk to, and find out what’s up with them. Of course there are those times when I just want to sit in a corner and veg… But that wasn’t me last night.

After the party, Russ and I went out for a 1:00 AM breakfast. We haven’t done that in years and we loved it. G was sleeping at his cousins’ house, so we had the whole night to ourselves. We went to bed after 2:00, and woke up at 9:00 to bring breakfast to G-Man and the family.

Today, I’m hungover. I have a horrible headache and I’m kind of nauseous. The truth is, I’d have had as much fun last night if I hadn’t had one drink. And I’d feel much, much better today. At almost 40, I think I need to stick to my one glass of wine, and skip the martinis. (At least skip the second one!)

So, when you go to a party and you have the whole night… How do you do it?

1. Reply Kristy says:

Hmm, haven’t gotten a whole night since our little Charlotte was born 7 months ago, so I am a little rusty!

I do love to talk to lots of people but I do better if they come to me, I always feel so weird going up to people, even people I know well! I love to find somewhere comfy, with the food close at hand and chat to whomever gets close enough! lol

No drinking for me, I’ve never been tipsy! Maybe I’d turn into a party girl, who knows?

Kristy, I like your style. Sitting somewhere comfortable and close to food… ALWAYS a good choice! Sounds like you have your hands full at home. Which is it’s own party, if you ask me!

2. Reply Sue says:

Um, I don’t. Definite introvert. Getting me out to a party usually involves some extreme measures, generally with copious amounts of guilt. Since I’m not a drinker, alcohol doesn’t hold any attraction either. And for the few parties I find myself attending, I will either discover it was a lot of fun or it was an utter bore and I should have stayed home as I most likely wanted to do in the first place – no in-between. 🙂

I agree with you, Sue about parties either being a blast or awful. But with a 50/50 shot, it’s worth a try… Right?

Hmmm. This is a good question.

I’m not necessarily the butterfly type – I can be sometimes, but most of the time I find a spot and park. I might drift to the snack table or the bar once or twice, but if I happen to sit, I’m there for a while.

The last few parties I’ve been to were all hosted by the same couple. Their parties are wonderful! They have a very eclectic group of friends so no matter where you are in the house/yard/garden, you’ll have a fascinating conversation. You know, it’s about time for their next shindig! Gotta call them.

And . . . uh . . . I still haven’t finished my report cards. I took a break for today. (I was kind of holding out hope for the rapture so I didn’t have to do it. But, well, we know how that turned out.)

5. Reply David says:

Lady, it was a real pleasure meeting you Saturday evening at the party. You are as genuine in person as the individual you portrayed on ‘CH’. As a matter-of-fact, I almost didn’t come–I HATE parties (I have NEVER been very fond of mass quantities of people), and I loathe short-talk. I actually brought my Kindle along, and a few times there I kind of sat off by myself to read (Phil caught me at one point, and kindly lit into me). I got better towards the end, and actually made a decent business contact! But it’s hard, hard work for me to open up to anyone, but I am VERY glad that I met you. Thank You for being such a genuine, warm-hearted individual.

Aw, thanks David. Lovely meeting you, as well. Glad Phil kept you from spending too much time on your Kindle!!