28 May 2011

Yesterday, Russ and I had the most cliche’ fight ever. Okay, it wasn’t a fight. It was a fun “discussion”. The basic gist was that I HATE when he leaves the seat up. He feels it’s unfair that he should have to raise the seat when he has to pee.

I explained that having the toilet seat up makes the toilet look more “exposed”. You walk into the bathroom and there it is, mouth agape, starting at you and saying, “This is where your waste goes. This is where EVERYONE’S waste goes. I’m gross.” Also, boys don’t always have the greatest aim. Enough said.

And a couple times, in the middle of the night, I accidentally sat down on the open toilet and pretty much fell in. That made me nauseous for weeks.

So after a long “discussion” we came to an agreement. From now on, we both have to close the toilet completely. That way we BOTH have to lift the lid when we have to go. Brilliant, right?

In honor of this momentous occasion, I thought it would be appropriate to ask a few bathroom-related Flawless Saturday Questions:

1. Toilet seat up or down? You know my answer.

2. Toilet paper over or under? I used to be strictly over. Now I go both ways.

3. Water off or running while you brush your teeth? I always turn it off. Wasting water makes me crazy!

4. Do you let your spouse/kids walk in when you’re “going”? I’m ok with number 1. Not with number 2. And that is way, way too much info.

5. Do you read on the potty? I’m a fan of boggle on my iPhone, or crossword puzzles. Again, too much info.

Looking forward to reading your answers! (On the potty.) (What am I doing?)

LOVE these questions!

1. From the start of our marriage, we both close the toilet completely. That way it’s fair and, as far as I’m concerned, nicer all the way around.

2. Over. I used to be okay with either, but not anymore. Getting cranky in my 40s?

3. Off. Don’t like waste.

4. It’s funny, but from the beginning Hubby and I have been totally private about going. I’ve never, seen him pee! And we’ve been married 15 years! I’m completely fine with that. The only time he’s been in the room when I have was after I had Princess. LONG story, but I couldn’t walk for about 24 hours after her birth so they set up one of those bedside potties where you just stand, pivot and sit. That’s the ONLY time he’s been in there. Weird. As far as the kids are concerned – when they were little and had to be watched all the time, yes. Now that they’re older, not on your life. That’s MY time! ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. I have a stack of Entertainment Weekly magazines in there.

Yep. TMI.

Milaka, that is some SERIOUS privacy! I’ve never allowed #2 to be seen by either of us. But pee pee is okay by me! That’s a rhyme I just made up. You rule.

2. Reply Koch says:

Hey, Lisa. Koch here. How’s it going? Since this is the closest you’ve ever come to blogging about scat matters (and this really even isn’t close), I’M chiming in. I think you and Russ should never use the same toilet. Since he’s always in the office, he can use the one in the hall. You ONLY use the one in the bedroom. For the rest of your lives. Walk the few extra steps, it’s good exercise. If I have to get up to make water in the dead of night, I NEVER use the bedroom toilet, which is primarily Nic’s. I ALWAYS go into the hall bathroom, which is mine. Or the guest bathroom if I have to violently vomit. That was a joke.

1. Toilet seat up or down? Always down.

2. Toilet paper over or under? Never cared until the wife “trained” me to go over.

3. Water off or running while you brush your teeth? Off.

4. Do you let your spouse/kids walk in when youโ€™re โ€œgoingโ€? Never. Get the hell away from me. I don’t want Nichole seeing urine stream from my wiener. I want her to think of my penis as a sexual pleasure tool. That said, I LOVE to kiss her when she’s peeing.

5. Do you read on the potty? Entertainment Weeklys and Rolling Stones. Happy Long Weekend.

3. Reply Michell says:

Here goes . . .

1. Toilet seat up or down? Down – he can lift it up IF he chooses or he can sit down but my butt better not touch the rim where his “misses” go!!!

2. Toilet paper over or under? UNDER!!! This way, when a child walks up to it and spins it, it doesn’t unroll.

3. Water off or running while you brush your teeth? Off – always! And, I’ve taught my kids to do the same. My youngest (4 yrs. old) now think that she should also wash her hands with the water off to save water and I cannot get her to understand that it is different. LOL

4. Do you let your spouse/kids walk in when youโ€™re โ€œgoingโ€? My spouse – yes for both. However, for our first few years, he would not let me see him do or “clean up” no. 2. He would wait me out until one day, when he HAD to go to work, I dilly-dallied in there until he had no choice. As for the kids, my teens freak out if they walk in on me when I’m doing my business but maybe that will teach them to knock first. My youngest, (who is still 4 yrs. old – lol) is there fore everything. I thought that was a great way to teach her so she’s there whenever she wants to be.

5. Do you read on the potty? Sometimes I read (usually People magazine) but I usually do crossword puzzles on my cell phone.

• Reply Michelle says:

Jeez – can’t even spell my own name right. Guess it’s bedtime (I’m on the east coast so that isn’t too strange . . .).

• Reply Michelle says:

Oh, and on a related note . . . may I add that since when I pee, it ALL stays INSIDE the toilet, I don’t think it is fair that I should have to scrub down the OUTSIDE of the toilet. If hubby didn’t feel so sick, HE would be cleaning it today. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle, first of all I am cracking up at the three comments. AWESOME. Second, I am cracking up even HARDER at the fact that it was so important to you to see your husband do #2. You clearly want a very open relationship. Third, I just cleaned the toilets and I’m way too much of a control freak to think my husband would do it as well as I do.

4. Reply Angela says:

I never thought anything about the toilet paper being over or under. Now that I think about it’s better to use over.

toilet seat down deffinetley. omg I did the exact same thing fell in the hole. I felt gross.

I play my iPhone sometimes or I think… ๐Ÿ™‚

Toilet seats has to go down!!!!!!

I have to have the water turned off while brushing teeth in the morning I’m late everyday for work. So I brush in the shower.

Nope once door is lock it’s just me and number 1 or 2. the nephews I chat threw the door.

Pretty good post. Ange

Imagine that.. My hubby and I had the same fight. I do not like falling into my toilet. I think I get personnel enough with it as it is! For our marriage sake, we bought a new toilet lid that will close automatically.
    So toilet closed.
    Toilet paper over
    I brush my teeth and wash my face at the same time, so water on until it gets hot and then wash my face and off. We do everything we can not to waste water.
    I like my privacy when I have to use the restroom.
    I read on the potty. I like to read magazines.
    Great questions! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Reply TandT says:

toilet seat down ALWAYS – better feng shui, animals don’t drink out of the bowl, etc.

I leave the bathroom door open unless I’m dying cause I learned that dogs, husbands and children stand at the door and holler 18 things while you are in there – so I leave the door open

T&T… Hilarious. That is so true. I used to put the fan on to give myself absolute quiet, but then I realized the questions from outside just got louder! Door closed but no fan. And, when the door gets opened I rarely care anymore. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Reply Kristy says:

1. Toilet seat up or down? Down!

2. Toilet paper over or under? Over

3. Water off or running while you brush your teeth? Off

4. Do you let your spouse/kids walk in when youโ€™re โ€œgoingโ€? Hubby- Only Number 1 and my daughter is only 7 months, but I imagine for awhile I will let her either way.

5. Do you read on the potty? Yes and do crosswords.

Kristy, thank you for your candor! (And to be honest, G is almost 4 and I really haven’t stopped him from coming in. It’s just easier.)

8. Reply Sara says:

1. Toilet seat down, but mostly b/c one of the cats like to swim/bathe in the toilet and that makes me gag. So if the seat is down, he cannot get to it. So down. Always. I even have a sign for guests.

2. Over – I used to be under but the dispenser here is weird and the paper gets stuck if its under.

3. Off – probably b/c of the Sesame Street clip where the fish has no water in their lake.

4. I don’t have a spouse. I prefer the bathroom to be alone time – if there are little kids I am solely in charge of I leave the door open just in case they need something but tell them not to come in. It doesn’t really work, but I don’t like locking them in with me.

5. I don’t read or play on the phone b/c I live in fear of dropping things in toilet. Unless I’m sick. I had terrible food poisoning a few years ago and prior to going to the hospital I sat there and read the entire Michael J. Fox autobiography. I also slept on teh floor which is not my first choice of locations for that activity either. If I had a supply of magazines I would totally read those.

Sara, your cats go into the toilet??? Are you serious? That’s crazy! And I love your answer to #5. The entire autobiography? That must have been some awful food poisoning! Was the book good at least? I love him.
      Once I was with a sick friend who is such a clean freak, she was literally cleaning the toilet after each puke. Amazing. THAT is a floor I would have slept on. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Sara says:

He likes to swim wherever I will allow it and regularly hops in the shower with me. If I don’t leave the door open or let him in the bathroom when I shower he cries so pitifully I’m afraid someone is going to call the ASPCA and have me reported. Or CPS or something. It kind of sounds baby-like. Anyway, he swims in the toilet. I haven’t gotten pictures b/c it makes me gag and I think it is gross. You have to be quick to get the lid down or he just jumps in. YUCK.

It was (TMI? Probably.) a form of dysentery that I caught from a restaurant. I ate the salad, no one else did, I got damn sick and no one else did. It was during a snow storm and that day I was at the NICU visiting a friend’s new baby. When I called a friend and was delirious enough for him to understand we had to go to the ER all I kept saying was “disinfect the babies, ok?” Turns out, I am a really good handwasher. It was absolutely the most disgusting experience of my entire life (I think that might even be true).

The book was good, but sad. I really like him and it was sad to see him dealing with the symptoms of Parkinsons. I also don’t remember so many of the details because of the whole dysentery thing. I thought it was interesting enough to bring to the ER though. I brought that and a garbage can – we stopped several times on the way. Gross.

However, I have thrown up on several dates (only one really ON them; others in their cars) and none of them wanted to marry me afterwards. You must be a very cute puker. I must not be. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Reply Allison says:

I always keep all the lids closed (Cleaner that way)
    Water: big debate in my home…we waste w the brushing. Sorry, we’re still training Syndey on brushing for a whole 2 minutes!
    T.P. MUST always be over. Easy to pull off & never ever hits the floor.

10. Reply Julie says:

Hi there!

Ohhh, you are not going to like my answers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The toilet seat remains down in our house. My husband is pretty good about making sure. Whether the toilet paper is over or under on the roll isn’t an issue. I really don’t care if he’s in the bathroom when I am. Let’s just say that any mystique surrounding our bathroom habits was OVER when we were dating. We were in Kauai, we were staying with a family member, and I got food poisoning from a local restaurant.

I barfed. Out the bedroom window, because I couldn’t make it to the bathroom in time. He hauled me off to the hospital. He had to stop three times so I could barf. After that, the potty is not that big of a deal. (My favorite part of this whole story: I’m lying on some kind of examination table in an emergency room cubicle at 3 a.m., with a nurse hanging over me, repeatedly insisting, “Are you pregnant? I know you’re pregnant.” I told her I was not. Several times. She kept it up. Finally, I sat up and shouted, “Bring me the stick, and I will pee on it right here!” Good times.)

To this day, I avoid restaurant salad bars like the plague. And, yeah, he married me anyway.

JULIE!! Not sure how this turned into a food poisoning conversation, but Russ married me even after no less than THREE puking incidents at the end of dates. Not food poisoning. Martini poisoning. I finally wisened up and realized I couldn’t handle that much alcohol. But I still avoid him seeing me “go”. I’m pretty sure after I had G, I was not quite as private for a little while, as I was in all kinds of pain for a couple days. Ahhh… Modesty.
      Great story. Sucks that it happened in Hawaii!!

Toilet seat up or down? IF men would sit down to pee, this debate could die. Also would save a LOT of wall washing, which THEY don’t do anyway! I love the idea of a self closing lid, MUCH like my magic garbage can!

Water runs here while we brush, the water heater is a far piece from the sink and by the time the water is warm, my teeth are brushed ๐Ÿ™‚ But, we are on a natural spring and water, thankfully, is not an issue when you live where the property is named, Seven Springs, for good reason.

Paper, over the top, if we think about it, otherwise, the fresh roll sets alongside the sink until one of us feels inspired to hang it. The center rolly thingie does not fit the holder very well and will come off…which makes for a very unpleasant re-rolling experience.

After 42 years of marriage…not much is left to the imagination OR likely to surprise. We each have our own bathroom, so the question is pretty much moot ๐Ÿ™‚ (ONLY a person with a total repulsion for cleaning toilets would end up with EIGHT of them to keep tidy)…Karma bites.

AL, you have EIGHT toilets?? My god! I like the separate bathroom thing. For the most part, G and I have one and Russ has the other. But Russ’ is the one in our bedroom so I use it in the middle of the night. Eight toilets. I’ll have nightmares about that tonight.

• Reply AL says:

Event Center, guest house, office and house….nine if you count the RV ๐Ÿ™‚ At least until tourist season starts, it’s only five! And yes, nightmarish reality…..but the view is worth it!

12. Reply Sandy Gilson says:

Admitting I have shared same experiences! Yes, falling into toliet, cuz seat was up, not turning light to wake any1! I have toliet paper over, I changed from under! Don’t allow any1 in when on toliet! Yes I do read on toliet! I run the water to brush my teeth, it’s been that way since I was young! I must change! Mental note: turn water off when brushing teeth! I hate toilet seat up, I also preach about placing it down, in my home! Drives me crazy also!

Sandy, here’s my quick lecture: TURN OFF THE WATER WHILE YOU BRUSH! I also turn it off as much as possible while doing dishes. Just think of how much is going down the drain for no reason. We must conserve! Okay, lecture over. You were brave and sweet to even admit that! Thanks for you answers!! YAY!

1. Toilet seat up or down? Down. Lid down, too, with a pretty lid rug used in a lame attempt hide the fact that its a toilet.

2. Toilet paper over or under? Over. Or propped up on teh toilet paper stand because everyone except me is too damn lazy to actually put it on the damn roll.

3. Water off or running while you brush your teeth? On! So no one hears me spit and so I can’t see the spit in the sink. And Bill and Kate have to leave it on so I can’t hear them spit. Spit is gross and makes me gag.

4. Do you let your spouse/kids walk in when youโ€™re โ€œgoingโ€? NO NO NO NO NO!!! No one has ever seen me pee or poop. I have never seen Bill pee or poop. That is SO GROSS!!! Even Kate, when she comes in a public stall with me, must face teh door to give me privacy. Even when I was weak from chemo, I would have Bill help me to the bathroom then leave until I was all done peeing, flushing and had myself covered up, then I’d call him to come carry me back to bed. All my friends know they can absolutely NOT pee with my bathroom door open. Nasty. When ever I hear that Panic at teh Disco song that goes “Haven’t you people ever heard of closing the god-damned door?” I think it certainly applies to bathroom ettiquette. Issues, you say? Hell, yes.

5. Do you read on the potty? Yes. Whatever book I’m reading, inserts from the Sunday paper, Facebook on my phone, and Uncle John’s Bathroom Readers are all favorites. I also talk on the phone while on the potty. Don’t tell me it’s gross, you let people watch you pee and brush your teeth! No one can see meo ver the phone, and I’m ridiculously quiet in the bathroom, so no one ever knows what I’m doing. And I also respond to blogs on the potty, because its often teh only time I have. Wanna guess what I’m doing right now besides writing this…? ๐Ÿ˜‰