04 Jun 2011

What do you do to help the environment? What do you want to start doing to help?

Garrett and I just spent a few hours at a local “green” fair where we sampled some yummy organic food, bought some reusable lunch baggies and took a nature hike. There were tons of booths with great info on conserving and recycling, etc. It got me thinking about what else we can do in our house to be good to the Earth. Here’s what we’ve done so far:

Use less water

Turn off lights

Buy organic meats and produce

Buy a lot of organic dry goods

Use reusable bags at the grocery store

Put reusable containers in G’s lunches

I’m very proud of what we do in our home, but I’d like to do more. I want to hook up power strips to our computers and TV’s so we can turn all of those off at night. I’d like to start unplugging the toaster and toaster oven. I should take shorter showers (good luck) and get regular maintenance for our air conditioning. I should also waste less food, and make sure to only buy what we need and eat what we buy!

So, what do you do now and what would you like to improve to help save energy and do good for our world?

Now that summer has finally hit Chicago, I will be riding my bike to work more often, and I’ll be riding my bike to my Zumba class, too! 😉

That’s so awesome, Melisa! I have to try Zumba sometime soon. Also, I’ve never owned a bike. LAME!

2. Reply Robbie says:

I turn off lots of lights and unplug many things when not in use… I recycle, of course, and turn off the water while brushing my teeth, just the normal stuff, I guess! Oh, and I buy reusable bags but often forget to use them. But sometimes I pat myself on the back when I remember. 😉

Robbie, I will now be giving you an extra pat on the back from afar whenever you remember your reusable bags.

We leave the television on, more than we should. We recycle cardboard, cans and bottles, but with our event center, we could recycle more (the waste from weddings alone is astronomical) and, we do try to come up with systems that work in a rural setting. We can’t store much on site and carting it to a re-cycle center is time consuming and costly….so much of it goes away with the weekly dumpster 🙁

However, we DO NOT use herbicides, pesticides or chemical fertilizers which would be added to our annual rain run-off into the streams and rivers….our cattle are 100% grass fed and raised in a sustainable manner without antibiotics or antibiotics and NO GMO grains are EVER allowed onto our place for our horses, either!

We drive and repair our cars until they literally fall apart and have not bought a new car since 1982! Always mindful of the impact on our beautiful part of the world and that we all share the responsibility for our actions is SO important! Good you you Lisa! Keeping your family healthy and keeping a responsible home is a wonderful way to give back!

• Reply AL says:

Oops, I meant ‘raised without hormones or antibiotics’ 🙂

AL, I am so impressed by the way you raise those animals. I’m so proud to be a part of a family who farms… But so much more proud because of how you do it.

4. Reply Kristy says:

Recycle aluminum and plastic, turn off lights, water, appliances when not in use. We rarely water the yard/flowers. Reuse packaging as much as possible. Reusable grocery bags. We buy lots of used things, haven’t ever bought a new car, we drive small cars. We buy organic when we can afford it (which isn’t often!). We make some of our own babu food for our 8 month old. I reuse as many things as I can by taking them to the preschool I work at! (baby food jars, anything that can be used for art, cans, tp rolls, greeting card fronts, old envelopes, etc)

We usually turn off lights, and Water when Brushing teeth, also short showers, unless I am ROASTING in the summer, then I run a bath. We have a window unit A/C in the living room, and rarely use that, We have a big beautiful pine tree that helps shade our entire apartment so it stays cooler. We also shut off the wall heater pilot…Use a space heater in the winter when its truly cold…Although I prefer more blankets….Recycle and donate the bottles and cans. I also am a part of 2 local Freecycle groups, so I get and give what I need or do not need by sharing with others…….I WANT a hybrid, but my 94 Geo is my great little gas saver….:)

6. Reply flawlessmom says:

RIGHT ON, Carla!!! I’m so very proud of my readers. You all inspire me.

7. Reply TandT says:

we live in a crappy neighborhood – a 10 minute surface street drive to hubs work = saves gas, no real commute/no freeway driving but I HATE where we live.
    I’d never ask my husband to drive to work for 1.5 hour one way (even tho it would get us in a much better neighbourhood) I don’t want him on the road and coming home fried

T&T, I love that there’s no commute but HATE that you hate where you live! Is there no happy medium? Yuck.

Well, Bill is still big into recycling, and still saves tons of crap that can’t be thrown away because it can be recycled eventually. We all use refillable water bottles. We save coffee grinds for the garden. We buy organic as much as possible but it’s so expensive that I can’t always afford to. I use my own bags at the grocery store unless I’m short on paper bags to put our paper recycling in or plastic bags to put my dog’s poop in. We garden and grow our own veggies in the summer and we have a composter. We try to make thoughtful choices when purchasing anything. We teach Kate to respect the Earth, and we try to lead her by our own example.

Love it, Christine! One thing I forgot to put was that we use cloth napkins!! Seems like something you guys would do.

• Reply Christine says:

LOL, I was raised on Cloth Napkins, not to save the earth, but because my Dad couldn’t stand bits of paper napkins getting stuck to his fingers. I was so used to them that I always had cloth napkins in the house. They were all sold at the yard sale, and I’ve yet to replace them with ones that match the new decor. I’ll have to get on that…

Oh, and I thought of another thing I do to conserve water…I pee in the shower! That’s one less flush every day. That’s gotta count for something right? 😉

Christine, if I knew we were selling your cloth napkins I would never have let it happen!!! Nice work peeing in the shower. And classy. 😉