10 Jun 2011

No Grow Up

11 Comments Toddler

Was just having a conversation with G about getting older.

“Mom, I don’t want to get any older. I just want to stay myself.”

“But Garrett, you have to get older. And you’re still gonna stay yourself.”

“But I don’t want to get older.”

“But honey, remember your third birthday party? The dinosaur party?”

“Yes.”

“Well that was because you turned three. And soon you’ll be four. Then five, then six…”

“Then seven?”

“Yes!”

“But I’ll still just be me?”

“Yes! And think of all the stuff you’ll be able to do. When you were one, you couldn’t even walk or talk yet and now look at all the neat things you can do.”

“Will you make me and my friends chocolate chip cookies?”

“I promise.”

“Okay. I can get older.”

I’m going to be 40 in November. Can someone please bake me some chocolate chip cookies? Apparently that makes it less daunting. And, yes. I’d like to please just stay me. Thank you, Garrett. You make everything clearer.

11 Responses to “No Grow Up”

G is adorable! Turning 40 is not so bad. I turned 40 in March, so I’m older than you 🙂 you definitely should get lots of chocolate chip cookies! Remember to enjoy every moment of every day. Age is just a number 🙂

I agree, Sherry!!! Not too worried about the whole “40” thing. But I’ll take the cookies!

2. Reply JDaniel4's Mom says:

I loved turning 40 and I think I did it without cookies. I am so asking for cookies on next birthday. Oh! and to still be me too.

3. Reply Sara says:

He is adorable – I was thinking of him today when I passed the Discovery Channel building. They have models (umm…replicas?) of dinosaurs and there is a little one with feathers that might be called a littlebittysaurus or a tinysaurus. something cute like that. I should send you a picture – cute little dinosaur (and he is a precursor to modern birds). They also have a T-Rex and a baby mastodon, but the minisaurus (still not remembering) is adorable.

My brother was under the impression (around my bat mitzvah, when he was about 4) that after you had your bar or bat mitzvah you were on your own. Like you had to move out and find an apartment. At 13. He cried and cried about growing up, and finally someone asked the right question and he admitted he did not want to move out when he turned 13. No cookies, but once that was cleared up he was good to grow older.

AWWWW! I want a minisaurus, Sara!!! Yes, try to get a pic. (But do not go out of your way.) That bar mitzvah story is hilarious (and adorable). G went to his cousin’s bar mitzvah in October and he keeps saying he wants to marry this girl at school at his bar mitzvah. I’m thinking they’ll have to elope. (Can you elope a bar mitzvah?)

• Reply Sara says:

I don’t know if you can elope for a bar mitzvah or not. If every person in the whole world who knows you isn’t there is it still a bar mitzvah? If he waits a few years he could do the wedding/bar mitzvah combo but that might be weird.

I’ll get a picture on Monday. So far the only hitch has been that the “visitors center” is only open when I am at work. Maybe between when I am at work. Closed when I walk by in the morning, and closed again when I head home. Maybe that is a sign I spend too much time at work…

I am older, and getting even OLDER next week…and I would LOVE some cookies! I even have to work on my birthday! I may have to suggest a free cookie just for that!
    G is so adorable…and smart…If I could be 3 again I sure would. But I DO feel 3 sometimes, and that will have to do…
    Lisa, I would gladly treat you to cookies and Starbucks if you ever wanna come visit me at work:)

Carla! YOU NEED A COOKIE ON YOUR BDAY! Where the heck is your work? Maybe one day I’ll try to stop in and say hello. Although, that starts an odd precedent with my readers. 😉

I will say just have a cookie on Friday…Help me celebrate! I work at one of your fav. stores. in Brea:) No need to set odd precidents!

Listen Carla, if I find myself in Brea any time in the future I will make sure to let you know and visit that store to share a coffee with you! (Assuming it’s a Target, I will probably hang out for quite a while.) And I won’t worry about precedents. Happy birthday Friday!