14 Jun 2011

6 Comments Toddler

Patience is something I do not have a lot of. I am not patient-rich. I never have been. As a matter of fact, you could probably call me “impatient” and I wouldn’t correct you. Β It’s one of my many flaws.

God blessed me with a child who, up until this point has required very little of this patience. He’s good. He’s super good. He listens, he sits quietly in restaurants, he’s polite, he’s smart… You get it. You’ve read about it here. I have a really good kid. And he just came out of my womb that way. (I mean clearly there’s some stellar parenting going on, but for the most part he was born that way.) He has an incredible temperament. We’re very lucky.

But now he is starting to display some (completely appropriate) toddler-like behavior.

When I ask him if he wants cereal or french toast for breakfast, he stares straight ahead and mumbles something about Spongebob.

When I tell him it’s time to get ready for school, he has a mini fit and throws himself (ever-so-gently) to the ground.

When I’m getting him dressed, he pulls away to make muscles. “Look at how big I am!”

When we get to school, he needs several minutes to finish the masterpiece he’s drawing.

“Garrett? Garrett?”

“I need to finish this.”

“Buddy, we have to go.”

“Look at my muscles.”

“They’re very impressive. Can you show me more when you get home?”

“I don’t wanna go!”

All of this is typical, normal stuff. I know that. And it’s not even bad. Most of it is very cute, especially when I’m not in a rush to get somewhere.

But the thing is, I forgot to save up all of the patience I wasn’t spending over the last 3-and-three-quarter years, so I have none in the bank. And because I have none, I suck at being patient. I think I’ve been huffing and sighing a lot. And I don’t want G to have a huffer or a sigher for a mom.

So my newest goal is to try to be a bit more patient. I mean, he’s earned some vacation time from being perfect. So now I have to start picking up the slack. I just have to find out what works for me. It might be slow, deep breaths (but I’ll be careful not to make it sound like a sigh). It might be pirouettes in the middle of the living room. It might be a splash of cold water on my face. Or it might be making my husband get up to get him ready for school.

I’ll let you know as soon as I figure it out. Just be patient with me. Thanks.

6 Responses to “Patience”

Since I was once a preschool teacher to 2,3 and 4 year olds. I understand how your feeling. It is a matter of finding what works for you, I would always take a deep breath and then look and their cute faces. Worked every time. I also think how I must’ve been the exact same way for my parents. You will find your groove! πŸ™‚

Sherry, the good news is I love this kid so damn much, any impatience or anxiety usually fades quickly. But I’m also embracing the fact that I’m not perfect, and this is a part of my personality he might have to accept a little bit. (Just a little bit. I’m working on getting better!)

2. Reply Tracy K says:

Wait, we’re not supposed to just scream at them and send them to their room? Crap.

Just kidding. I find B can do the exact same “naughty” behavior two days in a row and my patience level is totally dependent on my own stuff and whatever I’m dealing with (in a rush, lack of sleep, stress from work). I try to remind myself of that to remember that it’s not him it’s me. And almost every time, the calmer I stay, the faster the “bad” behavior stops.

Besides, I couldn’t send him to his room since he’s been in a body cast. But as soon as he learns to walk again, patience be damned! (too far?)

Yes, Tracy. “Naughty” in quotes is about right. We’ve got a couple of good ones, whose version of naughty… isn’t. But yes, it totally depends on how tired I am or what is going on in the rest of my life. That’s why so often I wish I could pretend other stuff didn’t exist and just focus on him. But then we wouldn’t have food or clean clothes or…. ANYTHING!
      And no, not too far. I’d send him to his room the second he’s out of his brace, just for fun! I mean, come on. You’ve been waiting on him hand and foot for two months! Selfish, selfish kid.

I like the pirouettes in the living room idea. I bet that’ll work, for sure. πŸ™‚

Whatever system you find that works, STICK WITH IT. Because EVERYONE’S life will be easier with consistency! πŸ™‚

I usually have extra patience. I’ll send you some.

Funnily enough Melisa, I got exasperated for a minute yesterday morning. Instead of giving in to it, I picked G up and we spun together in the living room. We were both laughing and it totally diffused the situation! SO, pirouettes work!!
      (I’ll take whatever patience you’re offering, though. Thank you. )