02 Jul 2011

Hello, folks. I’ve missed you. I was in Oregon for a week and this week Garrett is home from school and my husband has had (and will continue to have) our lap top at work. So, my ability to communicate has been grossly stunted. Β It will be less stunted in the coming weeks, but still slightly stunted. Stunted. Just wanted to say it again.

Summer’s here. Did you know that? It is! And with summer comes heat. And with heat comes barbecues and parties and… Swimming pools. Ergo, bathing suits. I will be donning a bathing suit in two days to celebrate the 4th of July by swimming with my son and eating copious amounts of tortilla chips. I will most likely hate every ounce of my body in said bathing suit, but I will act like I don’t. I will act like I LOVE being in a bathing suit so that my son senses good times instead of horrible insecurity. And maybe, just maybe, I can pretend SO well… I might forget to hate myself.

I would skinny dip if it meant my son having a good time. Which it wouldn’t. It would just be really weird and embarrassing. For everyone involved. But you get my point. Right?

Are you swim suit ready? If not, will you still swim? Why or why not?

************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE

Dreamed all night that I looked fantastic in a bikini. I kept looking down at my stomach in disbelief. It was a good dream except for the fact that I didn’t at all ENJOY the fact that I looked so good. I just kept acting stunned and bewildered.

The suit I’ll wear tomorrow is one of those halter tops with a sort of blousey thing going on and a skirted bottom. So hilarious.

1. Reply Kristy says:

Did you check out all the body/swimsuit confidence over at Curvy Girl Guide?

You have nothing to hate! You are gorgeous! As they all are.

Kristy, that is so AWESOME!! I’m so glad you shared that with me. Thank you. And YAY, CURVY GIRLS!

I have never in my entire life been swimsuit ready. No, really! N-E-V-E-R!! But, that is okay. I LOVE to swim and it has never stopped me – not once. I feel that if you don’t like what you see, STOP LOOKING!!!

But, speaking of bathing suits, exactly 5 years ago I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter. I was in the pool, floating on a float (not an easy task with my size at that time!) with my black maternity bathing suit on when my (then) 10-year-old Twin No. 2 said very innocently (lucky for her!!!), “Mom, you look like a whale.” I knew what she meant what with the big hump (baby) sticking up in the air so I didn’t really get angry but I certainly milked it for quite a while – well, okay, up to this very day. By the way, Twin No. 1 smacked her as soon as it came out of her mouth (thank you, Twin No. 1, YOU’VE always been my favorite – LOL).

I’m not sure I will ever feel swimsuit ready, but I love our pool, so I will be in a swimsuit a lot! Plus, swimming is good exercise πŸ™‚ Lisa, you are beautiful and all you need to do is smile and everyone will smile with you! Happy 4th of July πŸ™‚

4. Reply Craig says:

A trip to Maui wiped out any fear of showing some skin. We saw a woman who must have weighed 300 pounds in a one-piece swimsuit who was red as a cooked lobster. She seemed perfectly comfortable in her sunburned skin – and heck, if she can do it, anybody can!

5. Reply Tracy K says:

Sweetie, you’re the skinny bitch the rest of us don’t want to be in a swimsuit next to!! But I will, for B and L, since you will for G. xoxo!

Swim suits? For me no way! Anyone who ooks like I do has no business being in a swim suite. I haven’t been in one since the 80’s. Because of my legs and the scaring on them I will never ever go swiming again. No one would want to see this mess. Everyone else have fun. I do miss it.

I have been swimsuit ready one time in my life – six years ago after major surgery. Going in to the surgery I worked out for months so that I would have a great recovery. It worked! But then, after the surgery, I couldn’t work out for 4 months and couldn’t get back to my previous schedule for another 2-3 after that. Excuses, excuses!

All that to say, I looked AWESOME six years ago. This year, I’m about a size and a half up from six years ago. I look okay. Not where I want to be, but not to the extent that I’ll hide. I can’t/won’t wear the bikini I got six years ago, but I’ve got a new tankini that I’ve worn a couple of times this summer. I’m pretty okay with how I look. There are a couple of things I would change – I want better arms, thinner thighs – and I am working towards that goal. Slowly, but surely.

Milaka, as you now know I am working my ass off to stop missing out on ANY fun because of my insecurities. I hope with all of my heart that you are doing the same. πŸ™‚

I have never had a swimsuit body and I never will. But, that does not stop me from putting one on and hitting the beach. One thing I know for sure: I will see lots and lots and lots of people that look way better than me and I will see lots and lots and lots of people who look way worse than me, so why worry about how you look?

Whenever I go to the beach all I remember is the fun I had with family and friends, the sun and surf, the feel of sand between my toes, the smell of the ocean, the cool water, the sights on the boardwalk. Most of the time I can’t recall what anybody’s bathing suit looked like.

So, Lisa, it doesn’t matter how you look, it’s that you are with people who you love and who love you. Get out there and create some awesome memories..

Laura, you are one awesome woman! Seriously, can I be YOU when I grow up?? Your comments are inspiring. Thank you for that.

Hey Lisa! Missed your posting, but getting away is always good:)
    Swim…no. I almost drowned when I was a kid, and even after years of swim lessons, I am petrified of water. And I am definately NOT swim suit ready! Too many cookies;)

Carla! You almost drowned?? Dear god! I can understand that keeping you out of the water. That stinks. About the cookies… LOL!

10. Reply Tina says:

Well Lisa – how the heck can any of us go near the water if a Flawless mom is worried about her appearance? So glad to hear you aren’t letting your silliness stop you. Girl, life is short, far too short to waste quality family time in a cover-up. So live it up and do a big ol’ belly flop for G. Oh me? I am here in Phoenix – in my jeans. LOL.

Tina, that’s reason number 453 that “Flawless” is facetious! I did not and will not (I hope) allow myself to miss out on any more fun. Especially where G-man is concerned!! I swam on the 4th, and hope to do it a lot more this summer! GET OUTTA THOSE JEANS!

11. Reply marilee says:

Hope you kept up the air of confidence on the 4th! You don’t want to pass along that insecurity! Besides, Garrett thinks you’re the most beautiful woman in the world. Even if you weren’t gorgeous and thin (which you are), he would love your squishyness!