16 Jul 2011

Catching You Up

17 Comments Personal Crap

Okay, so it’s been thirteen days since my last post, and it was 15 days before THAT one. So, I’ve only written twice in an entire month. I’m going to do my best to catch you up on what’s been going on without boring you into an early grave.

In June, we took a road trip to Oregon to see our niece get married. I absolutely love going to Oregon to be with my husband’s family, but the joy has tripled since having Garrett. When we go, it’s like walking into a whole other world. My in-laws live on a lovely farm and G-Man gets to see animals, feed cows, pick berries, walk long distances without ever leaving the property, play on bales of hay… All the things he could never do in the San Fernando Valley.

We took two days to drive up and two days to drive home, stopping both times in Sacramento. Β We had a fantastic time driving. We stopped at fun and delicious places to eat, we took our time, and we really had a blast. The wedding, in which G was the ring-bearer, was lovely. Our niece married a wonderful man, and I’m so happy for them. I’ll try to detail some of the places we ate in another post.

The day after we got home, Russ started a job. It’s his first job outside of the house since G was an infant. Yes, for over three years, we’ve been fortunate enough for Russ to make his living from home, which has afforded me the luxury of working, auditioning, and doing whatever else needed to be done, without worrying about anything. Russ was always there to pick G up, if needed, and to handle anything else. So all of a sudden, I’ve found myself having to juggle in a way I haven’t had to do… Ever. I have to say it’s been thoroughly exhausting. But it’s a satisfying exhaustion. I’m enjoying it. Β I’ve made no secret of the fact that I kind of love this whole “being a mom” thing. And there’s a certain joy that comes with having to work your ass off to make sure you get everything done, and still get back in time to take care of your kid. I’m not saying it’s not hard. But I do feel very lucky.

I also think it’s probably good for my man and I to have this separation. We’ve kind of been in each other’s faces every day for almost four years. And, we’ve both loved it. But his going out into the world has added a new dimension to our relationship. I’m cooking more again. We talk about our day when G goes to bed. We get to miss each other a little. I think it’s a good thing. For now, at least. Β The only BIG problem is he takes my laptop to work!! This is one of the reasons I haven’t been able to blog. By the time he gets home with it and we eat dinner and get G to bed… I’m toast.

In other news, there’s been some headway with the super-secret-project I’m working on. I look forward to getting to tell you what it is. It looks promising, but I never count on anything.

In other, other news, I keep thinking about the fact that I’m turning 40 in November. I’m trying to remember my whole, “Road to Contentment” thing. I’m looking for a gym or something similar so I can start focusing on my health again. (I say “health”, but I kind of mean “ass”.) I’m also trying to figure out how to celebrate this birthday. Giant party? Trip to NY? Lock myself in a room and cry for a week? Kidding. I’ll only cry for two days.

Okay, how’s that? Did I successfully catch you up? Did I bore you? I swear I’m going to try to get back into the daily routine sometime soon. I might have to do lascivious things to earn the money to buy another laptop. Oops! I just accidentally took nude photos on my cell phone! I hope no one gets a hold of them (for about $2300.00).

17 Responses to “Catching You Up”

Lisa,

Welcome to the world of “Total Mommy Exhaustion!” It is a great place to be even though we now do some things that a toddler does (falling asleep at 8:00 p.m., for one). As a mom whose youngest starts Kindergarten in the fall (6 WEEKS from now!!!), I will tell you to just take time to enjoy every second with G. Before you know it, he will be off to college. I was older (okay, flat-out OLD) when I had my only bio-child so I have tried to savor every instant with her. I didn’t become Mom to my twins until they were 6 yrs. old so those first 6 years were a semi-mystery to me.

As for time apart from Russ, you are right. Absence DOES make the heart grow fonder. But, there is something very special about being able to be with your spouse day after day without it being or becoming a problem. Before my youngest, I was able to see my husband on jobsites almost every day. Since she’s been around, I haven’t been able to do that at all. I miss seeing him. We could spend 24/7 together and not have an issue with it. We love being together all of the time. This is very rare. I don’t know of many other couples who can say that. Yes, they love each other but they could not spend all day, every day together.

So, to sum it up . . . you are blessed and you know it. Really, it doesn’t get any better than that. Keep up the good work!! ((HUGS))

• Reply Michelle says:

Oops, forgot the most important part – you can get a very good computer that will work for your needs (unless you game a lot!) for under $700. Then you’ll only have to “misplace” one of those photos instead of a few.

Michelle, you are so right. I am so blessed. Yes, Russ and I have had a BLAST being together every day for so long. And now that he’s at work outside the house, our relationship is finding a new stride. I like this time AND I look forward to the day he works from home again. And I PROMISE you, I cherish every second with Garrett. Even the ones when he’s driving me CRAZY!! Hugs right back at you. πŸ™‚
      P.S. Still exhausted. G and I have BOTH been going to bed much earlier!

2. Reply Koch says:

Just started picking up extra shifts again at Sisley Italian Kitchen…

Lisa! You are so busy! But it sounds like the kind of busy that you will look back on as great times in the long run. Change is hard, but life is worth it. My fiance just lost his job, and while the Ebay thing is going well, the “extra” is not there anymore:( We just got a great package deal on a computer for about 500.00….Nothing fancy, but will do the job! Hang in there….Its quite a ride:) And birthdays should be celebrated…do it in style girl!

Carla, I WILL do it in style! Just trying to decide WHICH style!! So sorry about your fiance. You seem to have such a great attitude about everything… I’m sure good news is just around the corner.

4. Reply Mother-in-law says:

Glad to see a blog from my favorite blogger. I hate that you are left without a computer. I know how I love my iPad. Maybe with that paycheck Russ will get you can get a new laptop.
    Celebrate being 40 because as a wise person told me many years ago” You are going to be 40 no matter what, better to enjoy it than waste the day being sad.”
    Love your blogs!!!

5. Reply Tina says:

Great catch-up Lisa – there is never a dull moment with you. Boo to the no laptop! I bet there are all kinds of back to school sales on right now to pick up a good one for a great price. Agreed about how it’s good to miss your spouse and to have a new depth to your discussions and updates. It will be fun for G to greet him when he comes in each night. Those welcoming hugs are priceless. Oh – the big 4-0 does take some special planning. Perhaps that laptop could be upgraded to an Ipad for such an important milestone. Then again, nudie pics do seem to the be new ticket to fame and fortune in Hollywood – perhaps someone could “hack” your twitter account… πŸ™‚ Always great to stop in and catch up with the Fabulous Flawless Mom!

Tina, I kind of adore you. I think an iPad is just the ticket. I might treat myself to one this weekend, on my way to anonymously dropping my new sex tape in the mail to TMZ. (Yeah, like ANYONE would care!) Oh, and those greetings for Russ from Garrett? They are absolutely priceless. “DADDY!”, can be heard three blocks away. SO great.

Glad to see you back! I am fantastically busy at the moment tending to repeated exclamations of “Mom, I’m bored!” and “mom, there’s nothing to doooo!” but I’m glad to take a minute to get caught up on your Flawless adventures.

Can’t wait to hear more, about the road trip fooderies, about the hubby’s new job, about the super secret project and about the upcoming bday celebration.

Don’t stress the big 4-0. I was thrilled when I turned 40. Because I didn’t know for sure that I would. And, in all honesty, I’m enjoying my 40s wayyyy more than I did my 30s or 20s. Its a whole different mindset, a completely different place on the Journey to Contentment. Turning 40 is smart and sexy and fun. You will be a Fabulous and Flawless Forty!

And, if you do decide to celebrate the bday in NYC, keep in mind that bdays are an excellent time to read Tarot, and that a most awesome Tarot reader is a mere 45 minutes from Manhattan. And she’s a fabulous cook, too. I bet you could easily convince her to make you dinner πŸ˜‰

OMG, Christine! You are so adorable. That would be so BAD ASS! I shall keep you updated. Oprah said her 40’s were the best, too. If you and Oprah say it, it HAS to be true!!

Um, trip to CHICAGO???

Okay, Melisa. No joke, Russ and I have talked about going to Chicago for YEARS! I now know so many people there and neither of us have ever been!! It will happen one day for sure. Maybe sooner than later. The only drawback for this trip? Book of Mormon is NOT playing in Chicago. Plus, do you REALLY want to invite me to your town before you’ve spent the weekend with me in San Diego? Probably not wise at all. πŸ˜‰