23 Jul 2011

Flawless Saturday Question & Revelation Blog Update

16 Comments Flawless Saturday Question, Personal Crap

In the spirit of being honest, I will tell you that the second half of yesterday got difficult. Still not as bad as it usually is.

I noticed a few things. One:  I CONSTANTLY feel my stomach when I’m sitting. It’s a habit that I knew I did occasionally but now that I’m trying to be aware of everything, I see that it’s constant. And every time I do it I think, “Oh my god. Horrible.” The good news is I’m aware of it now. Two: When I eat crappy food I feel much worse about myself. Yesterday for lunch I had a lovely salad that I made at home. It was healthy, filling, and left me feeling satisfied. For dinner I had a steak and mushroom pie at our neighborhood pub. Delicious? YUP! But when I got up from the table I felt bad about myself, and bloated. And fat. Three: I want to make some changes to my body by exercising more and being a little more careful with what I eat, BUT I need to make mental changes at the same time. I don’t want to wait for these changes to take place before adjusting my attitude. I want to do it simultaneously. I would love to be proud of myself and my body, no matter what state my figure is in.

I do have to say that my favorite part of yesterday was chalk-drawing with Garrett on the sidewalk outside of our house. He drew a giant swimming pool that we had to keep jumping in, and we swam as fast as we could to the other side.  He kept grabbing my hand and saying, “I’ll help you, Mommy!” Then I pretended to get on a diving board and when he joined me, we held hands and jumped off. We played like this for about an hour. And I don’t think I grabbed my stomach once.

Paying such close attention to this issue feels awkward. And it’s scary to try to let it go. It’s been such an ingrained part of my personality for so long, I wonder who I’ll be without it. I also wonder if I’ll replace it with something else. I have lost other negative behaviors in the recent past, and have only replaced them with feelings of happiness. So, maybe I can accomplish that again. We’ll see.

I’ve decided to only weigh myself on Mondays. Then maybe I’ll make it every other Monday, then maybe the first Monday of the month. But for now, I haven’t weighed myself in days. I had to stop myself yesterday. I stood and stared at the scale for a good three minutes, then walked away. I consider that a big victory.

Thanks for indulging me in this. I appreciate all the support. And I hope, in some way, I’m supporting some of you as well.

To make this a Flawless Saturday Question: Is there some kind of positive change you’d like to see yourself make? There’s no time like the present!! Care to join me?

16 Responses to “Flawless Saturday Question & Revelation Blog Update”

1. Reply Alexandra says:

getting over hating my stomach.

I’ve had 3 kids: get over it.

Yes, Alexandra! Get over it!! I know! It’s good to know even royalty can be insecure, though. 😉

2. Reply Rachel says:

I am trying to be more aware of what I eat and how that impacts my body. I’m trying to shift from eating for pleasure all the time to eating to fuel my body for success. I’m also trying to be more positive towards myself and others everyday.

3. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

You look gorgeous, and good for you to adjust your perceptions and not just your figure.

I have a good friend here who is a former LA actress. She claims it alters the way you exist in the word. Everyone’s a critic. Every thing is an audition.

Yes, Erin. That is the case. Even if it’s not happening, it’s always the perception. But REAL auditions and REAL jobs and fittings, etc. are the things that seriously screw with my brain. Bravo to me for choosing this career.

Oh, I’m working. I’m working. I’ve been on my own journey for about a year and a half now. It’s so wonderful to look back and see progress! I’ll share more later, I promise. Gotta get my courage up to “put it out there”. I’m very encouraged and motivated by your podcast. That was brave of you to be so transparent – both in the podcast and here on your blog. Thank you for that. You ARE making a difference.

Thank you, Milaka. That makes me feel so good. And I’m glad to know you can look back and see progress. I’m looking forward to that. So, in essence, I’m looking forward to looking back. That’s odd.

I have been trying….REALLY… to make positive changes in a few things lately. Diet, attitude, teamwork…Knowing not to take things personally…It is a hard transition, especially since I have gone cold turkey on some meds, and Im feeling more pain, Arthritis needs some meds I guess…But becoming self dependent is important too…Its working! But its a journey that is harder than expected….Having your blog helps more than you know….And the support is amazing…We can all try together! Way to go everyone….:)

THANK YOU, Carla!!! It honestly fuels me so much to know that you and others are affected at all by my blog. I’m proud of you, too for being on the journey. I do believe we can all do it together.

Good for you, Lisa!!! Each of those things you mentioned is a tremendous step and I, for one, am very proud of you. Altering the way you think is probably the most difficult thing to do. It takes a very long time and a lot of effort to do this so keep up the good work. “They” say that it takes at least 3 weeks to change a habit. It doesn’t sound like a long time until you are living it. Keep going and please continue to blog . . . you ARE helping others, too!

I think you are beautiful, and I would love to have your figure.

Sometimes I dwell on how I wish I could really lose the weight I need to lose, and I beat myself up over it (ahem, I am TRULY overweight: ask my doctor). But you know what? Over the past few years I have really stopped caring, the majority of the time. Not in an “I don’t care that I’m overweight” sense, because I know I need to do something about it, but mostly I just ACCEPT me as I am.

By the way, as a group fitness instructor, I am most self-conscious when I’m at the gym, among all of the really thin, muscular people. I can’t imagine how it must feel to live in L.A. and work in your industry. It must be really, really hard. But you really, really need to keep working on it for your own sanity, as well as for your son. I know you can do it! xoxo

Oh Melisa, let me just say that just the fact that you are in a gym helping yourself and teaching others… THAT is awesome. But yes, we all need to be more conscious of accepting ourselves, not just for ourselves but for our kids. I want G to know a mom who loves herself… It’s the best way I can teach him to do the same. xoxo

8. Reply Myranda says:

Weighing yourself once a week is a great idea. I try to do it but I do it on Fridays so that way if I mess up on the weekends I have all week to fix it with my eating habits and workouts.

In answer to your question…as much as I would love to reach my goal weight (and I’m too afraid to step on a scale to see how far away I am) I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror. I was doing really well and then the last year and a half has been extremely difficult and my weight has definitely gone up but I just want to be happy and healthy. And make sure that I get my workouts in every day!

Myranda, that’s awesome. You guys are doing my heart good, knowing that you’re trying to be happy with what you see and still taking steps to be happier and healthier. Bravo!