13 Aug 2011

At Blogher ’11 there was a pretty hilarious reading at the Voices of the Year show about what people saved when their houses caught fire. Noa Gavin’s post is called, “Oh Good. You Saved Your Bullshit”. And you can see it here.

It got me to thinking what I would save if I needed to. And besides my family, pets, and pictures, I honestly can’t think of anything else. Oh, maybe the millions of dollars I keep under the mattress. In cash. Small bills.

I bet as I go on with my day today, I’ll think of one or two other things.  But I have somewhere to be.

SO…

What would you save if your house caught on fire, and why?

AND…

How much money do YOU keep under your mattress in small bills?

While you’re thinking, here’s where you can find all of the Voices of the Year posts. They were wonderful. Jenni Chiu made me pee my pants. Others made me cry my eyes out. Enjoy them all!

I would save my family, pets, and pictures of course, aaaaand….hmm. That’s a great question. I’m not a material person so really, if I were to get all of that out of the house I’d be thrilled. But if I had to pick something frivolous,

Nope. Can’t even do that!

Question 2: I WISH! haha I don’t keep any money under my mattress. (so if you’re thinking of snooping around my house should you ever visit me in Chicago, check elsewhere! 🙂 )

I don’t keep any money there either, Melisa. If I had a million dollars in small bills, I’d definitely keep it in a pillow case. Much safer.

2. Reply Andy says:

Dear Flawless lady, please lend me some of your money.

3. Reply Kristy says:

Well, besides the obvious (hubby, daughter, cat, pictures), the box with the ‘important’ papers, the tower to th ecomputer (hello, hard drive!), and as many clothes and babys things that I could fit.

When I was deep into my anxieties, before meds and before therapy, I actually had a well thought out plan of using teh sheets from the bed and throwing certain things in em and throwing em out the windows and doing that with other windows, as long as it was still somewhat safe to do so.

Kristy, that actually sounds pretty smart to me! Although, I like that you’re not thinking about it too much anymore. Thank goodness for therapy! And yeah, I should probably take my computer stuff too!

4. Reply TheNextMartha says:

My Halloween stuff. I’m that crazy.

5. Reply Maegan E (@OhYeah_Her) says:

Well, since I live in Wild Fire Country (aka San Diego County), I already have pics and important keepsakes (i.e. baby items from me and my little ones) in containers ready to bolt at a moments notice. I also have all my “important” papers in a not-so-fireproof manilla envelope ready to grab. And I have a pet -so of course, the stupid dog comes along. Other than that…. nothing else in real life really matters. As long as I have my family with me, I feel assured that I can overcome anything. And at the end of the day, that’s all I need. Clothes be damned.
    As for #2 – Money? Small Bills? What are these things you speak of?

Maegan, you have inspired me to get things ready! I have no plan for important papers or anything like that, so I’m going to make one!!! Thanks, lady!

6. Reply Angela says:

iPhone iPhone iPhone iPhone!!!!
    MacBook pro MacBook pro MacBook pro MacBook pro!!!! Clothes DVDs family and ummmmmmm my rechargers for my MacBook pro and iPhone. Millions u say u have? goodness me can u buy me iPad 2? 😀

7. Reply flawlessmom says:

Jen, you can’t possibly be serious! Are you? Really? Wow. I’m so incredibly lame with that kind of stuff. My Halloween crap could fit into a small plastic bag. Ergo, we’ll be at your house this Halloween.

Bering a foster care mom, we have to think about this all the time. The agency reminds us every three months. We have no pets so Craig of course. His back pack is kept in the trunk of the car with pull ups….Depends mens underwear. and a change of clothes. My purse that contains all my credit cards and ATM cards and a little cash stays on the back of Craig’s wheel chair. If we had the time the computers and of course the cell phones. Computers because we have all our financial records and medical records in them. Also I have my pictures on my computer. Get Craig out and safe is the first and most important thing. Has I tell the agency if I can’t get him out then I don’t get out either. I would stay with him. Craig is my whole life.

No money under the mattress all in my purse. Not much just enough if we need something and if there is some place that doesn’t take credit or ATM cards. I really don’t think there is any nplace like that now but just in case.

Norma, sounds like you have it all figured out! I’m kidding about the money, by the way. If I had it, it certainly wouldn’t be under the mattress!!!

• Reply Norma Lamothe says:

I tried to reply from my e-mail and I goofed again. I knew you were kiding about the money under the mattress. You are way to smart for that. I know you are a commidian. I love reading your blogs, you are so funny. You are one person I would love to meet some day. That will never happen. Thanks for allowing me to read your blogs.

Hmmm….as the family archivist (is that a word?) I would be very sad not to be able to save all of the family geneology books and photos….a lot of them are now in the various computers, however. I guess grab the cat and the dogs, make sure US is not asleep in his chair and get out the door would be the best.

Collectables from generations past hold some fascination and sense of history for those to come, but with all of the new technology now…those amazing letters, journals and photos are just so blips on the flash drive in today’s world.

We have had a couple of forest fires come close enough to the boundary that we started to gather things together…in the end, it’s all just “stuff” that although collected over a lifetime…probably isn’t that important to anyone but us. Actually, it would be fewer things to move to the old folk’s home, so less IS more 🙂

I can well imagine where people live with the constant threat of floods, wildfires and tornados…having a fire and water proof safe would be a good idea?

AL, it would be so sad to lose that stuff. I know what you mean with all the technology, but it’s those actual, tangible memories that mean the most.
      Still, not worth dying for!!

10. Reply Alexandra says:

Oh, my baby pictures.

Miss you and your perfect nose.

Hope we can have dinner together next year.

It must be a plan.

xo

Alexandra, I’d LOVE to have dinner next year! Somehow I fear your dance card will be filled, but I’ll try to get in there!! (so will my perfect nose.)

11. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

All the vibrators I got from BlogHer.

12. Reply Robbie says:

I don’t have any animals (at the moment) and live alone, so of my STUFF, I’d throw my purse outside ’cause it has my cell phone, my wallet with all the credit cards, and my driver license. Then my computer if I could get all the cords untangled. If not, then my wee netbook. In addition to the computer, which has over 50,000 photos, I also have an external hard drive with tons of older photos, so those. And… photos off the wall?? Old photo albums? My favorite pillow… and at least one bra. Nobody needs to see my G-cup breasts without a bra. And if the fire was moving very slowly, I’d start grabbing some of my lunchbox collection, according to a rarity/monetary value/sentimental value matrix. 😉 Oh, and my iPod, not that I can even find it at the moment.

• Reply Robbie says:

Oy, I can’t believe I forgot my camera and lenses. Often they’re in my purse, but if not, I’m grabbin’ them. Probably before wall photos or lunchboxes.

Okay Robbie, I’m gonna have to nix the pillow. Everything else I’ll accept. And, um… G-CUP???? Dear lord! Can you share some of that bounty??

13. Reply tracey - justanothermommy says:

VOTY is a definite must-do at any BlogHer. It was awesome to meet you, you funny girl.

14. Reply Karen says:

My son first, second all the pictures, finally, the Christmas ornaments. Everything thing else can be replaced and is only “stuff.” I can’t replace the ornaments my son made in kindergarten. Well, I could, but at 22 I’m sure he wouldn’t be too happy about it.

15. Reply The Flying Chalupa says:

First, how much did I adore meeting you? Seriously, you are such a gem and I’m so happy Erin introduced us! Please let me know next time you’re in the Bay Area.

And now on to the important question of the day: I would obviously save the portable DVD player to occupy my son until the fire engine arrives. Duh.

xoxo
    Chalupa

OMG, Chalupa. I was so happy to meet you. You’re so awesome. And this answer is brilliant!!! Of course! Duh!
      xoxo
      Lisa

16. Reply As Cape Cod Turns says:

I did wonder this question when she was reading that post. She was funny, BTW. After my family, I would make sure my girls lambie and Sherbie were with us. I would probably try and haul out my computer too since it has 8 years of photos on it….

And i heard on radio trivea the other day that 17% of American’s keep money in their freezer. So get with the times woman, under mattresses are so 1930’s.

I never answered this! And it’s pretty timely down here in Texas. We know a family who lost their home in the Labor Day fires. They were out of town and weren’t able to save anything but what they packed for their trip. Ugh.

I hope it goes without saying that I would save my family and my felines first. Anything else can burn as long as I have them.

Because we’ve been surrounded by fires, I now have my three portable hard-drives packed up and ready to grab at a moment’s notice. (Those contain documents and pictures that I want to keep.) I have a box of favorite pictures that are in a conspicuous place ready to go. If I had time, I would grab the painting that my brother did of Princess. But he can always paint another one for me. 😉

It’s odd that this question isn’t so rhetorical for me any more. (Cue Debbie Downer music!)

No cash in the house except a large bowl in the closet for end-of-the-day pocket change. That might buy a round of Starbuck’s by now!

Milaka, I have the Debbie Downer music cued up. Sorry I was so late with it. I’ve gotta get my shit together in case of a fire or earthquake. We’d be so screwed!