18 Aug 2011

My House is Breaking

17 Comments Personal Crap

There is a list of things my husband and I want to do to our house:

Put a fence around the front yard.

Fix the fence in the backyard.

Replace the front door.

Paint the outside.

Make a pathway from the back door to the garage.

Light the backyard.

Get under-counter lighting in the kitchen.

Replace the oven.

Buy a new grill.

Refinish our wood floors.

This list is only partial, and most of it has needed to be done for years. We are a frugal pair, and the poor house suffers because of it.

But the most nagging, annoying, in-your-face thing that needs to be done is to RE-PAINT THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE!

When Russ and I moved in, we painted all of the rooms ourselves. We will never do that again. It was adorable and romantic at the time. Two youngsters in old denim, ordering pizza and holding paint rollers. We were a sight to see. But years of wear (and possible shoddy work) have caused our painted walls to rebel against us. I’m about to show you photographic proof of our shame. Now let’s see if it helps me to get off my ass and call a damn painter.

This is the chip by the front door. It’s mostly due to our dog, Bogie jumping up and scratching whenever someone comes to the door:

This is the massive erosion of the paint on the window sill where Bogie stands with his nails scraping the paint off little by little:

Window Sill

This is the wall in the dining room/family room, where G’s wicker toy basket has left several scratches, and now this chip in the paint:

Toy Box Wall

This is the window sill in the kitchen. Years of water and steam and bullshitting my way through dinner parties has caused this:

And this is the ingenious way I cover up the embarrassing paint problem:

As you can see, this is a problem. Obviously, it isn’t a problem that has taken up too much of my time trying to fix. But it is a problem, nonetheless. We could probably find the paint we need in the garage and patch up all the “issues”, but most likely I’ll want all new paint colors. We’ve been living with the same walls for seven and a half years, so it would be nice to spruce things up. That means I have to go pick paint colors. AND if we’re going to paint, shouldn’t we get the floors refinished at the same time? That way the painters wouldn’t have to worry as much about the floors, knowing they were about to get made over. And then, if the painters are coming anyway, shouldn’t we just have them do the outside as well?

And then, just like that, we’ve probably spent close to ten grand. I just got really sick to my stomach.

So, do we do the patch work and fix one problem at a time? Or do we live with the shame of our house falling apart until we can spend the money to get it all done at once?

What would you do? Or, should I say, what will you do? For me. To help. Got any wood-floor hookups? Any free paint? Wanna come re-do my walls? I’ll take you to Hollywood, where the celebrities are. But I won’t help you paint. I did that once. And it didn’t really work out.

17 Responses to “My House is Breaking”

1. Reply Alexandra says:

I say get the crew of CleanHouse to help.

I hear the hostess is the mostest.

xo

Alexandra!!! I only WISH!
      Alas, I would never ask. And I’m too embarrassed. I’ll have to do this on my own, damn it!

2. Reply Kimberly says:

Lisa,
    I absolutely recommend having the hardwood floors done at the same time (paint first, hardwood floors second). It’ll be the biggest PITA (pain in the ass) ever, but to have them both done… you’ll be glad you did. I might not know much about home-ownership, but that’s ONE thing I did right. I still think, “WHEW!” and pat myself on the back for having done them both.
    -Kimberly

I hear you, Kimberly!!! Now I just have to save up the money! I’ll at least get some estimates asap. So happy to see you here!!

3. Reply Name Carla says:

Lisa, I am not allowed to paint…bad or the shoulder! I will however offer my discount at work to get new stuff! or even coffee….:)

Fly me out and I’ll HELP you paint, even though you said you wouldn’t do it again. 🙂
    Kidding.

I see the logic of doing the floors around/near the same time, BUT I have a feeling that if you could just get the place repainted, you’d feel so much better about the house. Save up for the floors and do them another time. Lots of the other things on the list are small, so put them in priority order and try to make regular improvements (the time in between each repair/improvement is obviously up to you and your financial situation, but even slow and steady is better than no progress at all.)

The End.

Melisa, I think you’re right, and I might just do it that way. (Of course I mean flying you out to paint!)

5. Reply Izzy says:

Hey I’ll do your painting, if you can hold out ’til November. No joke. I’ve always wanted a reason to visit that part of the country.

Very kind offer, Izzy!! I’m thinking I’ll have it done before then… But I’ll keep this in mind!

Lisa!!! Guess what kind of business my husband and I own? He’s been doing it since 1992 and we don’t advertise nor are we listed in the phone book. Our business is 100% referrals! We are hardwood flooring contractors!!!!! (Take a look at our website.) The bad news is that we are in Maryland. BUT . . . we can certainly answer questions and he did drive to Alabama to refinish a friend’s floors. Hmmmmm…

Definitely paint BEFORE doing the floors. In fact, we advise people to do everything before having the floors finished/refinished. That way, when furniture is being moved, etc., there are no worries about damaging the “new” floor. And, something that we do for customers quite often is refinish one room or area at a time. It depends on how the wood is running but it can easily be done. In fact, we’ve had several customers where we’ve done their homes room by room then they’d moved and we’ve done their new home(s) room by room.

As for painting, that my MY thing! I LOVE TO PAINT WALLS AND TRIM!! I really do. I think it is fun and my major project for after school starts (and I stop crying since my youngest is entereing Kindergarten this year) is to paint the inside of the house. We still have the off-white walls that were painted when we put the addition on and raised the ceilings in the original part of the house 7 years ago. BORING. That will be taken care of as soon as the crying stops. I already some of the paint, too. Every time I go to Home Depot or Lowe’s, I check their “Oops” paints and buy the ones I like. They are heavily discounted ($5/gallon at Home Depot) and just because they weren’t the perfect color for someone else, doesn’t mean they won’t work for me.

I tried painting once with my ex and that was a disaster! Now, I paint alone and my husband is okay with that.

No matter what, though, my one piece of advice is this – make sure you hire someone with a valid license and insurance!!! In this economy, there are a LOT of people out there who are not licensed or insured so if something goes wrong, YOU are the one who loses.

Good luck and please don’t hesitate to email me any questions you may have.

Michelle, this was incredibly helpful!! I’m absolutely going to check out your site and I’m sure I’ll email with questions. Thank you very, very much.

• Reply Michelle says:

I was talking to the hubby about this and he said that you are more than welcome to call him and he’ll answer your questions. He spends a lot of time on each of his estimates – at least 1 hour – explaining things and answering questions. That’s just the kind of guy he is and I love him for it!

7. Reply Colleen - Mommy Always Wins says:

I say have someone do the walls – you’ll feel TONS better having accomplished something, and it’ll be something you notice (both figuratively and literally). Once you recover from shelling out the dough for that, then do the floors (same logic). Only your neighbors have to look at the *outside* of your house. 😉

Colleen, you and Melisa think alike!! I think I might do that. It absolutely will feel better getting things done AT ALL, even if it’s just a little at a time.

Hmmm…I have blue paint and purple paint and two shades of grey paint leftover from when you were here. I also have some hot pink and black from Kate’s room. We’d be happy to bring it and have a painting party. And, BTW, you don’t want to know what our dog has done to the paint in my front window or see the huge black scratch I made on my bedroom wall with my overnight bag. Not to mention the marks on the dining toom wall from the chair. I might need to use a bit of that paint before I bring it your way…