26 Sep 2011

A New Post. (Patting myself on the back)

26 Comments Uncategorized

Oh, dear God. Ten days since my last post. I’m slipping. I don’t think I’ve tweeted for over a week. My time management skills have all but vanished. I feel like I shouldn’t even be sitting here typing now, what with the Ikea returns, the grocery shopping, the trip to the bank and the car wash that should happen within the next 2 hours and 45 minutes when I have to pick up G.

It all feels non-stop lately. Not in a bad way. Just in a… Way. The goings-on are constant. The cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, replacing this lamp and that duvet. Running the dish washer for the 100th time in a week. Trying to organize the closets, figure out how to put more money away, and fit in a hair appointment before my roots hit the tops of my ears.  All in between doing what I love the most: spending time with G-Man.

He turned four last Sunday. There was a party. I stressed out through the whole thing as usual, as if four-year-olds need anything more than a bouncy house and some sugar to keep them happy. I stressed as though I was throwing the wedding of the Century, instead of a Batman party. I cried when I ruined my mac and cheese. I cried. I’m serious. I felt like such an ass afterward, but I cried. Of course, this came on the heels of finding out that the helium tank we bought had no helium in it. So naturally, I cried. You would have, too. (No, you wouldn’t have. But, shut up.)

G is four now. And he’s amazing. The Friday before his birthday, I had the privilege of spending the last three hours at school with his grandmas. (My mother-in-law was in town for the week of G’s birthday. We felt so blessed. And we were so bummed when she had to go!) We served the kids pizza and the muffins that G and I made. Then I read the class some dinosaur books, and G got up to teach them about his favorite dinos. I’m so enthralled with his ability to learn new things, and to want to teach them to everyone else.

We’ve been playing this game he made up called, “Excuse Me, Miss.” He says, “Excuse me, Miss but I have no mom or dad. Would you like to be my mom?” Then we go over all the things he’s looking for in a mom, and all the things I’m looking for in a son.

“My son has to like dinosaurs”, I say.

“I LOVE dinosaurs!”, he replies.

“My son has to like dogs”, I say.

“I LOVE dogs! Dogs even love ME!”, he replies.

Then he’ll say,

“I really like super heroes. Do you have any super hero toys?”

And I’ll say,

“I have a whole BIN FULL of super hero toys!”

Then he’ll say something like, “This is gonna be GREAT!” And we grab hands and act all excited that we get to be mom and son. Then I tell him I can’t wait to introduce him to my husband, who he just happens to look exactly like.

We’ve been playing it for months, but it just recently got very detailed. It’ll go on and on for a half hour sometimes. And each time we play, it makes me feel lucky that I DO get to be his mom. It also makes me see how fortunate we are, and how much stuff we have filling up our lives. It’s perfect, really. Right now, in our small house with the three of us.

I just wish every minute of the day wasn’t filled up with to-do lists. I feel like their used to be time to luxuriate for just an hour or two during the day. It’s important to replenish, and I don’t feel like that happens much anymore. Maybe I just have to add it to the list. Or walk up to a masseuse and say, “Excuse me miss. I don’t have a masseuse. Would you like to be mine?”I mean, it totally works for Garrett.

26 Responses to “A New Post. (Patting myself on the back)”

I know that feeling Lisa! We have lists too. They don’t seem to stop. I just got hair cut that I should’ve gotten a year ago. Most plans still center around our son and he’s 15. School work so much harder and intense. He’s in theater and rehearsing for a play that’s in December. I haven’t had a vacation this year, but the boys have. So some girlfriends of mine decided we would meet in Vegas this October and that will be my vacation. I’m very excited for this. Been planning it since January and I still need to get things for the trip. I think I will have to add them to the list so that they will get done. I love your stories about you and G. You show how wonderful life is :)

Sherry, that trip sounds awesome!!! Yes, add what you need to get to the list. And, believe me, I know things are only getting crazier as he gets older… That’s why I try to embrace the NOW!

2. Reply MammothMom says:

Ok, I LOVE the game you play with G! It’s the best I’ve heard in a long time! And a big happybirthdayhappybirthday from all of us over here.

OMG, that game sounds SO cute. I wish I (or one of my boys) had thought of it!! You need to have your hubby turn a video camera on (so G can’t see), so you can “keep” the game forever. SO CUTE!

And lucky you, getting to bring in homemade treats to school. They’ve banned that in my area, due to the rampant allergy issues…

Melisa, I agree with you about taping it. I must! And yes, we can bring homemade goodies. But NO PEANUTS allowed anywhere near the school EVER! Thankfully, I can make G a sunflower seed butter and jelly sandwich every now an then. It takes SO much longer to say than Peanut Butter and Jelly though!

4. Reply Brooke says:

So cute! Love the game…and glad you posted again! I always keep waiting for life to slow down, but it never seems to. But as long as we can enjoy the chaos and the little tiny moments of non-chaos that happen throughout the day, then I guess we’re doing well :) And I would have cried about the mac and cheese too. Actually, come to think of it, I cried on Sunday too. It was a breaking point. My youngest had been getting up at the 5ish hour the last three mornings, I needed a shower and I all I wanted to do was put on some deodorant and cut my toe nails and I couldn’t even do that! (whinny kids clinging to legs). But thankfully, in mid-sentence tears, my mom (as we are living with them for the moment) took the boys so I could brush my teeth, cut my toe nails and go on a run (that I desperately needed to do for my training). Phew. That was a long story. But, I get it. It’s the last straw kind of thing :)

Oh, that’s the sweetest game! My mom and I used to have a game:

Me: Hello, my name is Milaka.
    Mom: Hello, my name is Milaka’s Mom.
    Me: (flinging my arms wide) MOM!
    Mom: (with her arms wide) MILAKA!
    And then we’d hug.

We still do it. ;-)

6. Reply Alexandra says:

That. Is so wonderful.

What a great game.

7. Reply Alexandra says:

I love what Milaka said.

So very sweet.

8. Reply The Flying Chalupa says:

Excuse me, Miss – AWESOME. I think I need to teach this to my son. And I can’t believe yours is four now! I’ve heard that 4 is such a fabulous age. Tell me the tantrums are over. They’re over, right?

PS – I totally would have cried. Parties stress the shit out of me.

Chalupa, don’t kill me. But in all honesty, my son has had two tantrums in his entire life. True story. But I think four is shaping up to be the “difficult year”. He’s being very contrary and testing me a lot. But I think it might just be from all the recent changes going on with us. Only time will tell. I need to keep reminding myself that I’ve had four insanely easy years, so he’s allowed to make my life a little harder this year!! How the heck are you???

9. Reply Maureen says:

You are the best mom EVER!! So damn creative. You give the rest of us a bad name! ;)

10. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

That’s a great game. Dom and G would get on well since he loves those games and all of those things.

Calm down, L, you’re doing just fine. You’re a go-getter and you’re gonna come out on top of it all.

Aw, Erin. You always know what to say. If only we communicated more than once every 4 to 6 weeks…
      Hope you’re good, darlin’. xo

11. Reply Patty @ A Day in My NYC says:

I love the “Excuse Me, Miss” game! It’s so precious! :)

12. Reply Ann says:

I need to play this game with Husband.

13. Reply Main Street Musings Blog says:

Love the game–it sounds like it teaches appreciation. I think i should play this game with my husband. . .

Wow, Lisa. I guess it DOES teach appreciation! Hadn’t thought of that. And yes, good idea to play with husband. I just told Ann to tell me how that works out!

14. Reply Seven Sunday Best | A Day in My NYC says: