16 Oct 2011

What is the last ridiculous thing that made you cry?

I booked a job on a new Disney show this week. It was something I had auditioned for several days before, but they didn’t let me know I had the job until 14 hours before I was due on the set.

Five years ago, they could have let me know about the job 14 MINUTES before I was to work, but now I have a son (in case you didn’t know), and this son of mine requires care, and I had no one to provide said care at the moment.

In addition, I had several appointments I would now have to cancel, grocery shopping that wouldn’t get done, and a lost driver’s license that would have to wait to be replaced. Oh, and I had barely slept in three days.

I spontaneously combusted. I started sobbing and I could not, for the life of me, stop. Garrett was sitting at the table eating dinner and stared at me. He’s never seen me cry like that. I mean, he’s seen me cry. But I’ve never been that tired and irritable and unable to STOP crying in front of him.

“Mom! Stop crying! I’m a really good finder. I’ll find your driver’s license.”

“That’s not why I’m crying, buddy.”

“Well, why are you crying?”

“I can’t explain it. I’m very frustrated.”

“Well, take off your glasses and wipe your tears. Then take a deep breath. You’ve got to calm down.”

Yes, that is exactly what he said. I took a deep breath.

“Are you calming down?”

“Yes. I’m calming down. I’m sorry I cried like that.”

Here are all of the reasons my crying was absurd:

1. I got a JOB. I know about 30,000 people who would kill for even a week of work right now, and I was given just that. That’s good news.

2. I was crying about getting a job in front of my four-year-old son.

3. My four-year-old son had to calm me down.

4. I could move all of my appointments to other days. Frustrating? Yes. Cry-worthy? No.

5. I need to start getting to bed earlier.

So, the week is over and the job was an absolute blast. My mom was able to handle picking G up from school and taking care ofย  him until either Russ or I got home. G even went home with a friend one day and had a five-hour play date which made him very happy. It all worked out.

I’m more than a tad mortified that Garrett had to take care of me in that moment. But I guess it’s good for him to know that I’m human and that I cry sometimes just because I’m hungry or tired or frustrated. And it was amazing for me to see how good he is at caring for a person who needs help. I’d like to think Russ and I had something to do with that.ย  (I’m just trying to make myself feel less stupid here.)

So, do me a solid and let me in on a recent time when you cried for a really stupid reason. (This is my second time in recent memory. Remember how I cried when I ruined the mac and cheese?) Oh my god. I really need to start sleeping.

Lisa,

You don’t need to be upset about crying. Look at all of the good that came out of it. And, YES – you and Russ taught G how to have empathy and be caring. That is something that is taught and learned. Excellent job!!!!

As for me . . . it happens sometimes when I PMS. In fact, it is usually the only PMS symptom I have. I will cry over the most stupid thing. A commercial. Watching one of my kids do something (could be just swinging on a swing).

As for all-out sobbing for a ridiculous reason. . . I’ve gotten to the point that I know when it might be coming so I try to take preventative actions. When I feel I am at my exploding point, I will tell my husband that I NEED to take a bath. That seems to be the only “hint” he takes about this kind of stuff. Even when I say that I “need a break” (and I DESPISE that term), it never works out. Anyway, then I really do take a bath. I get some magazines, run the water, and soak in there for over an hour. It helps a lot.

Having 3 kids and being self-employed makes finding “me time” even more difficult. So, when I just can’t take it anymore, that is what I do.

You and Russ are doing a great job with G so keep doing what you are doing!

P.S. The first few times I took a bath to relax due to mommy stress was when my youngest was a newborn. My husband got home, I told him that I needed to take a bath and handed him the baby. I got all settled in the tub and in walks hubby and baby. He puts her bouncy seat on the floor, puts her in it, and leaves!! WHAT!?!?!?!?! After 2 or 3 times of this, I explained (rather loudly) that this was not what I meant and he has kept everyone away since then. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Michelle. OMG, that bath thing is hilarious! I think I would’ve had a HUGE fit if my husband put the baby in there with me when I was getting a break! Very cool that once you explained, it didn’t happen again. I wish I liked baths!

2. Reply Alexandra says:

I do remember crying out loud.

And my children all gathering around me, saying, “Mom! Stop crying!”

They didn’t like it.

I said I couldn’t help it…I had so much to do, no time to do it in, and all things I didn’t want to miss:

Important things.

On the same night, at the same time, was the Fine Arts Show for both of the oldest, who went to different schools each. My husband and I would have to split up who went to whose show.

I began crying again: my kids said, ‘It’s alright if you miss.”

I said, “NOT TO ME! It’s not alright to me..”

For that, they all gathered around once again, but this time , they let me cry it out.

They got it.

Great post.

Awwww, Alexandra. So sweet. I think as moms we just take every single thing so seriously. It’s all so important to us, even though they don’t care about HALF the things we stress about! They just want us to be happy, and that’s all we want for them. It’s really a win/win if we could just calm down!

3. Reply Alexandra says:

Congrats on the job!!

I can’t remember a recent time, but I have definitely done it. It’s a weird feeling to have your young child be the voice of reason during a crying episode, but it shows that you have raised him so far to be a loving, caring guy: something his eventual partner will appreciate. ๐Ÿ™‚

My kids, older teens, get really worried when I cry too. It’s sweet.

5. Reply Koch says:

When I die, you’ll laugh.

6. Reply TandT says:

how rude of these people/corporations to give notice 14 hours before the job – what asshats! congrats on the job – tears are understandable

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like you and Russ are doing all the right things with your son. I like what soneone said about PMS. I remember those years. Nothing made sense back then. Crying, screaming, all emotions for no reason.

8. Reply Patty at A Day in My NYC says:

Sounds perfectly normal! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sometimes any news even good news just throws a little curve ball in our day/week. I’m so glad it worked out for you! Congrats about the job!

Congrats on having a son who is there for you…even as little as he is…he’s a smart little boy who knows exactly when to jump in and tell mom its going to be ok.

Yep, you are definitely doing something RIGHT!

I hope so, Patty! I think he’s as good as he is DESPITE how we’re raising him! But I hope we’re doing some stuff right. He’s so sweet.

The last time I burst into tears for a silly reason was when I was exhausted from a 21 hour flight and couldn’t find the right gate for my connecting flight in the Sydney airport. Thank heavens for the “Gold Ambassador” who was a sweet older lady who shushed me and took me to the right area. ๐Ÿ™‚

CONGRATS ON THE JOB!!!

I cry all the time, at the wierdest things…not sobbing, but tears will creep into my eyes when my heart is touched by any event involving a homecoming, achievement, wedding, animals….egad! I’ve been this way since becoming a mother….it was as if I could suddenly see and feel things that before that….were dispassionate happenings…interesting, but nothing that involved me. Then…the birth of my children changed all of that….embarrasing sometimes as you can ask my family…”AL is crying again!”, but it is from happiness, 99% of the time!

As for the G Man handling the crisis at hand? What an amazing little man he is growing up to be….! The years to come are going to be amazing as he begins to become your families own personal ROCK…just watch! Just think, you would have missed that beautiful (ok sloppy, sobby) moment otherwise ๐Ÿ™‚ What a guy!

My gosh, AL… You are so right. Since having G-Man I swear I see EVERYTHING differently. He has opened places in me that I never even knew I had!! How do they do it? It’s extraordinary. We’re so lucky.