06 Nov 2011

It’s November, kids. Thanksgiving is upon us. Every year a haunting melancholy falls over me at this time. It always has, because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am always aware of it’s all-to-fast coming and going. I feel such a bounty of joy on Thanksgiving that sometimes it is too much to take. And then, in a flash, it’s gone. And another year with it.

Last year I posted my “Thanksgiving Schedule”, which I will again follow in 18 days.  It hasn’t failed me yet! But I thought I’d see if any of you have fun, silly, or interesting Thanksgiving traditions that might be good to include in our celebration. Any wild side dish or hilarious game you play? Any new way of saying what you’re thankful for?

What is your favorite, or wackiest, Thanksgiving tradition?

If I incorporate yours into our evening, I promise I’ll post about it the next day.

Nothing wacky here. Just a typical dinner. The “craziest” thing that I do is make the 2 hour turkey. Several years ago, I got the recipe while shopping at Safeway. Back then, my least favorite part of Thanksgiving was taking all day to make the turkey. So, I thought, why not try this? I had nothing to lose. I’ve been making my turkey that way ever since. I usually make a turkey that is over 20 lbs. and it takes 2 to 2.5 hours TOTAL to cook. It is completely cooked, juicy, and easy – no basting!! When I first tell people about it, they think I’m nuts and that it won’t work (which I find insulting since I am a very good cook!). Then they try it and I have another convert.

Now, one of my teen daughters LOVES Thanksgiving . . . well, she loves the food of Thanksgiving so we usually have a Thanksgiving dinner sometime in the spring, too. (The only reason I don’t do it more often is because the turkey costs a fortune – literally – when not on sale for Thanksgiving.)

Lisa, sit back and enjoy the holiday. I look at it as the start of the craziest time of the year. I am Jewish (so my 5 yr. old bio-child is too) but my hubby and 2 adopted daughters (his bio-kids) are Christian so we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. Makes for an insane week or so.

2. Reply Angela says:

Haha, pffft what’s thanksgiving?
    We don’t have it in Australia… 🙁

3. Reply Koch says:

In honor of you, I will be having my mom and my sister and my step-dad and MAYBE my gramps and grandma all in our condo. First official Koch Family Thanksgiving ever. Thom is going to teach me how to cook a bird. If any traditions or hilarious games kick off, you’ll be the first to know…

Its usually a family dinner thing, but one year they all went to Tahoe without us, so this year we are going to Disneyland without them! Its basically a food holiday for us, and work opens at 12 midnight that day, so not planning much sleep……

5. Reply Maureen says:

I know you have your menu all planned, but if you ever want to try something a little different, or make it just as a side dish for a regular old dinner night, I have the most AWESOME and delicious potato dish recipe. (not mashed). It will knock your socks off. It might be accused of being just a tad white trashy, but actually doesn’t look it or taste it, and it’s not too bad diet-wise/health wise either. Mmmm. Now I’m salivating just thinking about it….

Maureen!! What is the dish?? I love white trash, so bring it on!!

• Reply Maureen says:

Baked Hash Brown Potato Casserole

32 oz. package frozen Ore-Ida hash browns
        2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
        1 small onion, diced (1/2 cup)
        8 oz. sour cream
        1 stick melted butter
        8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese

Topping:
        2 cups crushed potato chips (I like to use Kettle chips–you can also used crushed corn flake crumbs for this, but I never have. Potato chips all the way!)
        1/2 stick melted butter

Mix everything except the potato chips and 1/2 stick of butter in large bowl. Put into 9x13x2 casserole dish.
        Mix potato chips and 1/2 stick melted butter. Spread evenly on top of potatoes.
        Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

It’s moist and flavorful and oh, so delicious! It also tastes like it’s a million calories, but because you’re only using a little butter and sour cream for the whole dish, it’s really not that bad. The cream of chicken soup helps in that regard, too!

Let me know if you try it!

• Reply Maureen says:

Oh, you can also use I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter instead of real butter.

Ok, Mo… That sounds weird and awesome. But it’s not really that bad???? It’s AWFUL!!! However, on Thanksgiving (and every holiday) calories do not count… So I’m in! I’ll let you know if we give it a shot. THANK YOU!

• Maureen says:

Seriously, I doubted it, too. Until I tasted it. I don’t know a single person who hasn’t raved about it at every gathering it’s been presented at. I’m just sayin’…

• flawlessmom says:

I didn’t mean it sounds awful TASTING, Mo!! I meant it sounds like a lot of calories!!! Oops. Sorry! It does not sound awful at all!

Listening to and singing along with “Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlo Guthrie. It just isn’t Thanksgiving without it!!

My family’s wackiest Thanksgiving tradition is that we all curl up into the fetal position before Thanksgiving on the years when we have a big dinner including my in-laws.

We always do Thanksgiving with Hubby’s family. That’s their big family holiday. (Half of Hubby’s family is Jewish so they don’t do Christmas.) Also, eight of his family members (himself, two siblings, two cousins and three nieces/nephews) have birthdays from November 15 to December 7 so there’s a big birthday cake as well as apple pie, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. (Hmmm, what date is about nine months before Thanksgiving? Valentine’s Day.)

The cousins who host keep a Kosher house so it’s always a Kosher meal. That has been so wonderful for me (a little Texas girl) and for the kids to get to know about Jewish heritage and traditions. (Although I do miss having green bean casserole with the turkey.)

The most fun family tradition is decorating sugar cookies before dinner. The kids gather in the basement with every color icing imaginable and go to town. It’s not unusual to find an adult or two down there as well! We watch the Lions game (Hubby’s family is from Detroit and we gather in East Lansing for the feast) and talk and gossip and laugh and catch up. It’s SO much fun!

Milaka, that’s so funny! Decorating sugar cookies has now become a tradition for us on MANY occasions, including birthdays, holidays, and any time we have a bevy of kids to entertain. For Christmas, I made my first batch of homemade sugar cookies and felt pretty damn good about myself!!

I love that you get to be around some of my people for the holidays!! 😉

Sorry this reply is six weeks late. Better than never??

9. Reply Alexandra says:

Waited till some time had passed before I posted here: Thanksgiving always brings melancholia for me.

My father killed himself on Thanksgiving, when I was 6…and I’ve had to re invent the holiday for myself.

Before kids, I never celbrated it.

But now, I do, for them.

It’s something different, and I had to change everything about the holiday..to just start over.

Much love to you, dear Lisa.

You’re a doll.

Alexandra, I feel sick that I’m so behind in answering these comments. I can not even begin to know what that has been like for you. My goodness. There’s so much about people we don’t know. And so many of us carry around such burdens. I’m so sorry.

Much love to you, too. I hope your holidays were wonderful. xo

10. Reply Alice says:

Hello Lisa,
    You might never see this since the post was a couple of weeks ago, but I’ll comment anyway. We have always gone around the dinner table saying what we are thankful for, but all of a sudden my daughter, who just turned 17 (which is weird because I’m only, like, 25) is saying how thankful she is for me. It really turns things around for you in one, quick, very sweet moment when you went from the one who talks about how much you appreciate everyone to being appreciated by your child! Of course, I cried.
    Take care and happy everything!
    Alice