20 Nov 2011

Blog Post. November 20, 2011

26 Comments Personal Crap

Can one continue to call themselves a blogger if they haven’t officially blogged in weeks? I’m gonna go ahead and say no. I’m downgrading myself to blogger-wannabe, or bloggabe, until further notice.

I’ve been busy. Really busy. Busier than other people. (Kidding.) I’ve worked (very little), I’ve cleaned out parts of my house which have been neglected for years (literally), I’ve researched, visited, and poured over countless schools for Garrett for next year. He’ll be in transitional kindergarten, and I’ll be cleaning pools, cutting hair, waiting tables, and selling hand-made jewelry to pay for it.

Oh, and I’ve been fighting off anxiety, fear and anticipation for my 40th birthday. It’s in three days. Last night I shared copious amounts of pulled pork, pastrami, french fries, pie, cookies, and prosecco with my friends to celebrate. Today I’m paying for it. Because I’m old. And when you’re old, you can’t shovel tons of fattening food and alcohol in your mouth without paying for it the next day.  (Especially when, since the time change, your darling son refuses to sleep later than 5:46 AM at which time he asks to come into your bed, PROMISING to not talk and to go back to sleep, which never ever happens. So, really, you’re up at 5:45. Every frigging day.)

I’m now in preparation mode for Thanksgiving. Making lists, checking them twice, ordering organic turkey big enough for twice as many people than will actually be at my table. I love Thanksgiving so frigging much. I’m also compiling my stack of catalogs to officially start shopping for G-Man for Christmas. I’ve already bought all the clothes and pj’s, and now I’m on to toys, a bike, and a bunk bed. I better start cleaning those pools.

Oh yeah. I’ve also been prepping for work. New work. Work that I can’t tell you about yet, but that I hope will last for a while and be entertaining and helpful for many, many people. Work that officially begins right before Chrsitmas and might not pick up again until the summer, if at all. I’m excited for this work. But I am also filled with nerves and anxiety (which is apparently how I am most comfortable), because I’ve been a stay-at-home mom again for most of this year, while my husband has been the (nearly) sole provider for us.  It has kept me busy, this mom-business.  Too busy to blog for a while. Too busy to be as scared as I could be to be 40. Too busy to care about much else but taking care of my amazing boy, and have dinner waiting for my amazing husband when he walks in the door at 8:45 after a long commute home.

I like being G’s mom and Russ’ wife. A lot. But I guess there’s a part of me that looks forward to the challenge of being as good of a mom and a wife while helping to pay for Transitional Kindergarten. And kindergarten. And so on. The whole school thing is another blog post that I’m looking forward to writing. But right now I have to play Wii Sports with Garrett. And go back to being a bloggabe.

26 Responses to “Blog Post. November 20, 2011”

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!! Trust me, 40 is NO big deal. I didn’t have my only bio-child until after I was 40 (I’m 46 now). You’ll be fine. Plus, as my Zadie used to say, “It beats the alternative.”

((((HUGS))))

2. Reply Mr. Bloomberg says:

Welcome back to the blogosphere!!! Last night was a blast. I’m paying for it as well.

Mr. B, always a pleasure to pay for things that involve you and Mrs. B. And one day I hope to be wealthy enough to also actually pay for things.

I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday! Turning 40 is really no big deal. I did it over 20 years ago. You will get through it! Please besure to post about your work when you can. I miss seeing you on TV.

I also want to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving! You take care and have a great and safe Holiday this week.

Happy Birthday! I was so hoping November would bring you back to NJ. I have dreams of cooking you dinner and reading your Tarot cards. I’m excited that you will be working again! Can’t wait to see what it is. If it’s a reality show, I’ve done one of those, with you, in fact, and would love to do it again! So if it’s any kind of lifestyle, wardrobe, fashion, parenting, kitchen or relationship makeover, I’m in!!!! Are you rolling your eyes at me yet??? LOL, I guess 15 minutes of fame wasn’t enough for me. Hey, here’s an idea, I can cook you dinner and read your cards on TV! I know, that deserved another eye roll! Seriously, have a fabulous birthday and an awesome thanksgiving. And know that you and everything you did for me and my family are still and always on my list of things to be thankful for. Hugs!

Christine!! That makes me so happy to hear. And, believe me, I’m DYING to get back to the east coast and I would LOVE a home cooked Italian meal and a tarot reading from you. One day??

Hope your holidays were amazing. Happy New year!

5. Reply Koch says:

I feel great, I’m not paying for anything, and I was SO happy to be there last night to celebrate you.

6. Reply A says:

When your son reads this, it’s totally going to blow the whole xmas surprise thing.
    XA

7. Reply Ann says:

Can’t wait to hear about your new gig!

Hey and Happy Birthday!!

Finally, I just did my first real on-camera gig and I’m so terrified that I’m going to have my own Seinfeld/Nose moment like you described.

Love,
    Ann

8. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

I think I know about this gig, which I am so excited about, both for you and for…America. That’s right. I said America, like George Bush would say it.

I want to be at your turkey table.

You know what’s great about 40? You immediately stop caring so much about what other people think. It’s so freeing!!

Also, I am SO EXCITED about your new work.

Also, I hope you can call me to chat one of these days, maybe March? 🙂 I miss you! xoxo

Melisa, when does the whole “not caring” thing kick in??? Kidding. I pretty much don’t care.
      Miss you too, lady!

10. Reply Alexandra says:

Happy Birthday!!

40 is so young.

Cher said she never looked better or felt better than when she was 40.

You have a lot to look forward to!!

Alexandra, I will do my best to take a page out of Cher’s book. I think things are looking pretty good. I’m excited about this next phase.

Happy Birthday a couple of days early! 40 is a GREAT birthday! I can even remember my own (24 years ago). I can’t recommend 50, however 🙁 60..just sort of slid right on by and the next thing I knew, it’s four years later!

The pool cleaner thing is a good one…however…Another money maker is having bottle and can drives, actually, it could be something that Garrett could help with..kinda like a scavenger hunt? Of course, the ever popular bake sale in front of the (insert favorite) grocery store, (again something Garrett could learn to work). What about starting an internet business, say……it’s been awhile since the Pet Rock thing was done…maybe glue a few together and do Pet Rock Families?

Or…sell “Scholarships for Scholastics” for Garrett?? He could wear a little NASCAR type jumpsuit with all the sponsors? I’m thinking it could work! If you need more ideas, I’m here for You!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know it will all be delicious! Hugs & Love from here!

Thanks for all the ideas, AL!!! 😉 And for my bday? I was sick and preparing for Thanksgiving. Not horrible, by any means… But not the birthday I was hoping for. However, my celebrations were fantastic and I’m kind of happy the actual day was uneventful because I still feel 39!

12. Reply Patty @ A Day in My NYC says:

Happy Early Birthday! 🙂 I know you will have a great birthday and a great year! Wishing you all the best on this new opportunity! Enjoy Thanksgiving and all that time with your family!

Happy Birthday Lisa! Can not wait to hear more about whats going on with you….Oh! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the fam…..