09 Jan 2012

One word at a time…

19 Comments Personal Crap

I’ve stood here before, in the dark waters of fear. Afraid to write, to create.

I go about my days doing all of the other things I need to do, ignoring the nagging voice in my head that says, “Write.”

I have things to tell you, things I want to say. But time gets in my way. No, not true. I can write at night. I can make the time. But I don’t because I’m afraid I can’t do it right anymore. So I stop. And I’ve stopped so many times in my life, it just feels like something I do. It comes naturally.

And so does regret. And so does disappointment in myself.

So I sat down tonight to write. Just to write these words. I’ve given myself no agenda or assignment. Just to write. What happened to that girl who used to go to coffee shops and fill pages and pages? She stopped, too. Then started again. Then stopped again.

I want to stop stopping.

To begin.

So that’s what I did just now.

19 Responses to “One word at a time…”

Be not afraid! You are so talented! Those of us, who admire your wit, charm and insight(s) shall content ourselves to waiting for the fear to subside.

Sometimes…our ‘in the moment’ lives need our full attention! 🙂

Good job! All of us feel hesitation (mild or major) at some point. What’s important is getting back to it, which you did. Let’s MAKE TIME to chat one day soon, shall we? 🙂

3. Reply Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him says:

You wouldn’t be a writer if you didn’t toil over the words.

Thanks, Erin. I just wish I could have a little less toil and a few more words right now. But it’ll happen.

4. Reply The Flying Chalupa says:

First off, don’t die of shock that I’m here. That’s right, my lactation leave is over. 🙂

Second, you did it! You wrote! A post! Which is more than I’m doing these days. I’m a stopper too, so I can totally relate.

I hope you’re well, lady! Don’t worry, you’ll get back on the word horse.

Chalupa! Lactation leave… Awesome. Yeah, that word horse keeps galloping away from me. I need to slow it down and get my feet in those stirrups.

Its not about doing it right. Its about doing it — write.

Trust yourself. Know you have stories worth sharing. Know that you reach people, touch people, heal people, with your words, your gift, your humor, your heart.

Every blank page, every blank screen, is an opportunity. Take it. Do it. Write.

Good for you, Lisa!

I can really relate to being afraid to create. What if I can’t create any more? What if I’ve run dry? What if nothing ever happens and the words don’t come or the canvas doesn’t fill or (fill in the blank)? A lot of the time I just think it’s better not to try because then I can’t fail.

But also, if we don’t try, we can never succeed. We’ve taken that chance away. But it’s so, so hard to face the possibility of . . . blankness.

We’re here – your friends/readers. We love you! Rant away, write away, or just type a few words. Sometimes when you have coffee with someone you love, you just sit in their company. It’s hard to do that over the internet, but probably not impossible.

Welcome back and Happy New Year!

7. Reply TracyK says:

Let the page fill the space of the person you want to tell but can’t call. You don’t have to “perform”, just talk. We’re listening. Even when you think it’s not interesting, someone else thinks it is. Someone can relate or needed the laugh or just felt a little less lonely because you “reached” out to them. That’s the beauty of your blog. You’re telling everyone’s story at some point. And then no one is alone.

Wow, Tracy. Thank you so much for that. You kind of left me speechless, which I know is the opposite of what you meant to do! Thank you so very much. I’ll listen to you. XO

8. Reply angela says:

LIKE!!!
    you paint a picture when you write. With that being said …..great skills…however my question is…..dude for crying out loud…i wish you did a book…coz i love your posts!!

9. Reply angela says:

no wait, i just relies…..there was no question in the previous comment…..whops…. 🙂