05 Feb 2012

Phases

16 Comments Toddler, Uncategorized

These phases of his. These interests of his. This growing he does. It kills me.

An interest in Dinosaurs was the first big one. Before that, it was Blues Clues and Backyardigans and stuff like that. But we moved through those swiftly, not really looking back. Then came the T-Rex and the Brachiosaurus and such. He was so focused on them, studying them, memorizing their defenses and diets and heights. He has hundreds, in the forms of action figures, or pictures on cards. Some are stuffed and some are on pillow cases, (one of which I hand-sewed. Β Stop it. Sit down! It wasn’t that hard.)

Then came the Wild Kratts on PBS, and with it a love of animals like I’ve never seen. I mean this kid has always had an affinity for the furries, but this show made him LURVE animals of every ilk. Raccoons, Wolves, Badgers, Bees, Whales, Squid, Octopi, Lions and Tigers and Bears… (You say it.)

The zoo became his temple. The aquarium became the altar at which he prayed. And he studied, and again gathered information as if his job as a toddler depended on it.

Now we are on to Star Wars. Some kids at school and a close friend outside of school already had their obsessions, and now it was to become Garrett’s. He picked their brains, and read their books. He made us look things up on Wookipedia. He fell in love with Princess Leia, he perfected his Luke Skywalker pout, and he even dabbled in the Dark Side. We got Star Wars books at the library, we watched the Jedi Training at Disneyland, and his cousin bestowed the Star Wars encyclopedia on him the other night.

Yes young Jedi, you are nearly ready to know all. You’ve seen Episode IV approximately thirteen times and we are weak against your will to see the other movies. But you are only FOUR, young Jedi. You have so much time ahead of you to learn the ways of the Universe.

The way he’s moving through life, gathering and collecting and sifting through new knowledge every day… It fascinates me. I watch him light up with new information, and again when he teaches a friend. We pretend we are characters from the movie and he takes it so seriously. And then I remember only a year ago when we was a T-Rex and I was a Parasaurolophus, and my heart literally breaks to think of how fast it’s all going. Remember his second birthday, when he nearly fainted at seeing the Blues Clues Bouncy?

But here we are at this phase, now. And lucky for me, Princess Leia is far more attractive than a Parasaurolophus.

Tags: , , , , ,
Related Posts

16 Responses to “Phases”

1. Reply Kate says:

Ahh what a fun new phase! Little man is just getting into the Thomas the train phase but I know Dadda can’t wait for the Star Wars phase. πŸ˜‰

Yeah Kate, my husband is having a blast with it. So am I though! I never really gave a rip about Star Wars, but I’m digging this whole thing!!

Lisa, you have one very smart little boy! The way he absorbs information is awesome and you are a fantastic mom!! I remember when Jason was really into Star Wars and I hand sewed an outfit for him. Luckily, it was the ratty one in the movie, so it looked good πŸ™‚ I will try to tweet you a pic. Jason is still interested in Star Wars. Enjoy your time with him, it goes fast, but not that fast. I so love your stories. Thank you for always sharing πŸ™‚

Oh Lisa! Are’nt they just amazing? It would thrill me to death to know that someone I loved could absorb and research something they were passionate about, exhausting every avenue until they were satisfied. I myself get on those tangents, although not so much now, as work gets in the way. Enjoy…:)

Carla, I don’t think I was ever like that. I’m amazed at his abilities. Wait, I was kind of like that about lip gloss. But I don’t think that counts.

4. Reply Allison says:

Love this & relate!
    Sydney, walked down Seasme Street tickling Elmo all the way. Then she went to China with Kai Lan until her older cousin ask her what Princess she liked. She needed to know what a Princess was. I made the biggest mistake introducing her to Disney! Geared her towards the play kitchen & Barbie. Barbie even made her way into Disney & Toodles helps Minnie in the kitchen. Amazes me that the Disney stuck.
    I hope she gets over to the dark side soon. Love to break out my retro Princess Leia. The only Princess for me πŸ™‚

Allison, that’s so funny! I don’t know what I’d do if I had a girl who was into all that stuff!! I never was, so I know if I had a girl… She would be! Maybe she’ll fall for a guy at school who’s into Star Wars and she’ll want to know about it to impress him? All the girls in G’s class are interested now because all the boys talk about it all day!

5. Reply Liz @ PeaceLoveGuac says:

Loved this. My 3yo is ahead of the game too (thanks to his older brother) and is a huge Star Wars fan. I already see what’s coming next…Harry Potter. He’s going to be the 4yo casting spells at preschool. Yowzers!

Yes, Liz!! Harry Potter! That’ll be awesome. I hope G likes that stuff because it’ll finally give me an excuse to read them. I read the first and loved it but never continued. I’ll have to become a Potter Pusher in the next few years.

I see a gold bikini in your future . . .

The thing with the Star Wars obsession is that he can carry it with him forever. I don’t think that you outgrow Star Wars – I sure haven’t! My brother is a video game animator who worked on the online RPG “Star Wars: Old Republic”. When he got that job, he called me and taunted me saying, “I get to play Star Wars all day! And get paid for it!” (Which just goes to show that sibling rivalry still exists past childhood.)

Milaka, you’re right. I don’t think you do grow out of it. Russ has kept his Star Wars toys for 35 years and G is playing with them now!! It’s crazy! That’s pretty awesome that your bro got to do that. (And to rub it in your face!!) πŸ˜‰

7. Reply Leanne says:

My little guy did all these and then got stuck on sports. Now at fourteen? It’s sports, sports and more sports. Which sport depends on the season, but to keep in touch with his world I now read the sports pages on-line. πŸ˜‰ The things we do….

Leanne, I totally wonder if G will be a sports guy. His dad is, but very specific with college football. Sometimes I’m not sure if G will or not. So far, no real interest! We’ll see. I’ll probably be eating my words in 2 years!

And it does….fly by! Savoring each moment, as you do, is fabulous…so many parent’s assume there will always be time…there is NEVER enough time and your awareness is serving you well. Keep enjoying the ride, there is nothing else like it πŸ™‚ What an awesome little man you have and we love the idea that another animal lover/adventurer is bringing along the generations !

OMG, AL… He LOVES animals so much. We were at a house today where they have 3 chickens and he said “Goodbye, Chickens!” about 40 times as we were leaving. “See you soon, Chickens! BYE!” And a dog can’t walk past him without G asking the owner if he can pet him. Yeah, I’m glad about that. Please… I’m glad about ALL of it!