31 May 2012

Rituals and Revelations

11 Comments Personal Crap, Toddler

I have to stop waiting for huge revelations before I sit down and write. I have small revelations daily that are worth saying a sentence about. Or I could just write about my day and hope two or three people find it interesting. So I’m going to try to not let another month go by without putting words on my screen. Honestly, I’ll try to not let a week go by.

Jesus. This blog is starting to sound like my 12 year old diary. Each entry started with “Sorry I haven’t written in such a long time!”

Today I had three (Count them. THREE) auditions. I drove past a Hollywood Star Tours bus and almost rolled down my window to shout, “Hey Tourists!! You’re looking at someone with a one-in-seventy-three chance of booking a radio campaign for Volkswagen!”

But I also had a revelation. So here goes:

I have started at least 100 daily rituals since G-Man came along. I’m going to list as many as I can think of here, in hopes you’ll giggle or snort, and that you’ll tell me some of yours. I will put them in whatever order they come to mind.

I put a cup of ice water or juice in my car before I get G from school. He expects it there.

I sleep nightly with Penguey (G’s Penguin), a dinosaur blanket, and a black and white checked blanket. G insists on all of this. Apparently, Penguey loves me and Penguey can’t sleep without the black and white blanket because it reminds her of water. And the dino blanket is orange, which is my favorite color, so G can’t bear for me to be without it. I officially am unable to fall asleep unless I’m spooning Penguey.

Every night I put a magic spell on G’s water so he doesn’t have any dreams. Nope, not even good ones. Here’s how it goes: I hold the water and sing “No dreams Garrett, No dreams Garrett, No dreams Garrett, No dreams Garrett, No dreams!” Then I wave my hand over the cup and make a wind noise with my mouth. Then I touch the cup and say, “BING!” Then G pats the cup and blows on it. Then I kiss the cup and I kiss him. Then we each take a sip. Then I say “GORK” and he says “TWO AT A TIME!” I swear to god it’s the same thing every single night.  If he has any dreams, I get the blame.

The newest ritual is that, before bed, G takes this blue goo he got in an Easter egg and puts it in a “pajama egg”. Then he puts it in a tupperware thing and puts it to bed. In the morning, “Eggy” or “Slimey” gets his “clothes egg” back on and comes out to play.  I am, of course, in charge of picking out the eggs.

Every night I rock in G’s room as he falls asleep. This started about 8 or so months ago and I’m not sure when it’ll stop. Now the rocking chair is gone in favor of his giant bunk bed, but we still call it rocking. Now I “rock” by lying on the bean bag next to his bed and playing Words With Friends or doing a crossword on my iPhone for 15 minutes. Every night.

Whenever I am going anywhere without G, he stands at the front door and waves and yells, “I LOVE YOU” until my car is out of sight. Of course, I yell out my window and wave out my sun roof, too. Conversely, if he goes anywhere with Daddy and I stay home, I stand at the door and do the same thing. And he yells out the car window, “GOODBYE! I LOVE YOU! HAVE A GREAT DAY!” It’s priceless.

For two solid years, every time I leave G at school I wave to him. He stands at the window, his friends behind him playing with blocks or listening to “Free to be You and Me”, and he waves back. I wave and walk until I turn the corner. Then I wait a second and pop back out for one final wave, a blown kiss, and a thumbs up. I can’t believe it’s gone on this long. And I’ll do it as long as he lets me.

That’s all I can think of right now, because it’s 9:16 and my brain stops working at 9:14. But I’ll add more as I think of them.

PLEASE share some of yours!

11 Responses to “Rituals and Revelations”

1. Reply Kristy says:

Every morning when I get Charlotte (19months) out of her crib I sing- ‘Good Morning Charlotte, Good Morning Charlotte, Good Morning Charlotte, it’s time to wake up, up up!’ Then I kiss her forehead.

Every morning I feed her breakfast while she sits on my lap and I will do this until she’s too big or doesn’t want to!

After breakfast I get my cell from the charger, check it for messages, check my email and then my FB messages.

Every morning at 9 am on the dot, the tv comes on for Caillou, which I sing the theme song to loudly and badly to get a laugh from Charlotte.

Every morning after Caillou, we do ‘preschool’ which consists mostly of me talking and her not listening, about the weather and colors and the date and the letter and number of the week. (I am a former preschool teacher after all!)

Every time I change her diaper I raspberry her tummy and kiss her toes before she gets down from the changing table.

Every afternoon when my husband gets home we kiss.

Every night after the 730pm episode of Caillou, Charlotte goes and listens to music with Daddy while I pick up toys and get out books. We then read the books with her on my lap. Every night I kiss her cheeks and head and tell her I love her.

Every night before my bed my husband and I say the same silly little good night message to each other and he sings to me and kisses my forehead, cheek and mouth and I kiss his too!

I LOVE things like this and plan on having as many as possible as Charlotte ages.

My son is turning 16 soon. Every morning that I wake him up, I do it by singing ” you are my sunshine my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You’ll never know dear how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine…” at this time Jason is awake enough to sing, “away” I always leave that part for him to sing.
    I’ve done this since he was a little boy. If he didn’t sing away, then I would repeat the song until he did sing it. That’s how I knew he was awake.
    Good luck with your audition results:)

I am going to try the magic spell for water with my 17yo tonight, because that is the cutest thing ever. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂

YAY! You Blogged! Love it 🙂

And I also love Rituals and Magic. I’ve always incorporated them into my life, and Kate is naturally drawn to them as well. I’ve been cautioned that what I call Magic is immature, unnecessary and probably really OCD, but when people say such things I simply do a Ritual that turns them into an ass. It doesn’t actually take much Magic, since they are usually well on the way already.

I will share two of Kate’s bedtime Rituals. Kate used to ask the same three questions every night. Is my alarm on? I would say yes. Is my nightlight on? Again, yes. Are you going to bed yet? And, knowing that she needs me to be awake until she falls asleep, I assure her, No. Then one day, she took a shortcut and said, Mommy, Yes, Yes, No? And I responded Yes, Yes, No. And she said OK, Goodnight! And that’s how its been ever since. Good Night, Katherine. Yes, Yes, No.

Another fun ritual is Bill flying out of the room. Every night, before bed, after Bill gets a kiss and hug and says good night, he has to fly out of the room. But he has to do it as someone or something else, and Kate and I guess what it is. Some nights Bill and I choose and Kate guesses and some nights Kate and Bill choose and I guess. And even though Kate is now 12, she will not let go of this ritual. Bill has flown out of the room like every animal on earth, plus every profession, situation and inanimate object you can think of. Its the ultimate acting exercise, and it still cracks me up.

I would share more, but I don’t want to cause my hubby and daughter any additional embarassment! Have a great weekend, Lisa. Perhaps I’ll do a Ritual to get you to blog more often….;-)

Christine, YES YES NO. That is too much. And the flying out of the room as different objects and people? Amazing!! Made me remember my mom and I for YEARS used to say “Good health, good happiness, live long, stay well” every night before bed. Then it turned into “Good health good blah blah blah blah blah…” And we’d always giggle.

CUTE!!!!

With both my kids, every night we have to give hugs and kisses – the same number as their age. Last night we bumped Buddy up from 8 hugs and 8 kisses to 9!!!

Princess and I always say good-night the same way. We say, “Goodnight, sleep tight, I’ll see you in the morning okay? Have sweet dreams, I love you. Don’t let the bedbugs bite and it’s time to sleep little pup, little pup, if you don’t sleep soon the sun will be up. And I hope Baby A doesn’t wake up.” When I was growing up, my mom and I said goodnight almost the same way – we ended with “I love you.” Princess added the rest. The “little pup” line is from her favorite bedtime story, Time for Bed (http://www.amazon.com/Time-Bed-Mem-Fox/dp/0152010661). We also added the “Baby A” line when Buddy was in the midst of his sleep disorder. A lot of the time now we say, “And I hope Marie (our cat) doesn’t wake US up!” If Princess spends the night with anyone, we say goodnight just before we part. If we don’t, then she calls me that night and we say it over the phone. Same with the hugs and kisses.

I’m sure we have more, but the bedtime rituals are my favorite!

Unbelievably sweet, Milaka. I also never ever went to sleep anywhere without saying goodnight to my mama. Even if I was sleeping somewhere I shouldn’t have been sleeping. Which she knew. Because moms are smarter than anyone. 😉

6. Reply Alexandra says:

My ritual is secret and no one knows about it: I work nights catering, and after I get home –at 11 pm — and do my stuff online, it’s about 1 a.m.

I go upstairs and lay down next to my 3 big boys…they have no idea.

I lay next to them, close my eyes and smell the backs of their heads, then I pray thanks to God that I have them.

17 and 15 and 10 years later, I still can’t believe I’m lucky enough to have them.

And that’s my ritual every night.