27 Jun 2012

Instincts 101

8 Comments Uncategorized

You know what’s really freaking cool about being a mom? When you listen to your instincts, you trust them, you follow them, you don’t change your mind… And you reap the rewards.

We have not stopped moving since G’s last day of school a week ago. It’s been constant playing and going and doing and swimming, and my little boy was exhausted today. I could see it in his adorable face this morning. As much as he seemed ready to tackle the day, his eyes betrayed him and he looked beat.

I decided that, unless he napped, we wouldn’t go out today. Today would be a day for relaxing, watching TV, and maybe playing a bit outside. But we would not venture out, not even for the previously planned dinner and play-date with friends.

So, around 11:00 AM I took him back to his room and gave him the full report: “If you can’t nap for a little bit, we’re not going anywhere today. Not as a punishment, but because I think you’re too tired.” His response? “Mom, I’m really tired. But I’m not tired enough to nap!” He has said these words before, just prior to slipping into such a deep sleep that I was unable to wake him up without screaming his name two hours later.

I told him to just try. He wouldn’t. Fifteen minutes later, we emerged from his room and I canceled plans with no argument from Garrett. Once you explain something to this kid, he seems to totally get it. The rest of the day went swimmingly. We took it easy, had a lovely dinner, and even started a new cleaning project that was a huge success. We read two books, got his teeth brushed, and he was sounds asleep by 7:30… Something that hasn’t happened in AGES!

So, I was right to listen to myself. There was a moment around 4:00 that I wanted to try to get our plans back, just because I was a bit stir-crazy and felt sort of bad. But I fought that feeling and continued with the plan. I think the rest of this week will be better for the time out we took today. And I do love those moments when we listen to ourselves and take care of our families. I think it’s quintessential mom-ness. And it lets me know to listen to that little voice in much more dire situations. Today was like a test-run of the alarm system. It seems to be working fine.

What does “quintessential mom-ness” mean to you?

8 Responses to “Instincts 101”

I love this! I used to do the same kind of thing, the most successful time being when I took the boys to Disney World without Jim and we were goinggoinggoing until I made the decision to skip an afternoon at the parks in favor of hotel room naps. The rest of our trip was spectacular. Sometimes giving up plans is worth way more than we can imagine until we do it.

Totally, Melisa. It seemed like such a lame thing to blog about, but I do think those kinds of things are way more important than we give them credit for. Now, if you’ll excuse me, we have a three-hour swimming date to go to!!

I think that mom-ness is exactly that – reading the signs and trusting your instincts. You done good.

3. Reply Ann says:

I’ve been so uptight and hard on myself as a Mom lately about what I’m not doing right, and this was a great reminder of what I am doing right.

Being where they’ are, yet knowing what they need.

Thanks!

Ann, why are we so hard on ourselves?? I am too. So glad to remind you that you’re awesome. I was in therapy last week complaining about my mommy screw-ups. We’ve been fixing some of them and it feels awesome. But we’re great, even with the screw-ups. We just have to remember that.

4. Reply Alexandra says:

I woke up thinking about you: had a dream about BlogHer last year.

You are an awesome mom.

I hope my 3 remember me this way: there when we need to be.

I hope that’s what they remember.

Dang computer life….hate missing them and being away from them.

Hate it.

5. Reply Maureen says:

I think we all tend to over schedule our kids these days. Of course it’s fun to go out and see cool places while expending energy and seeing friends. And we have packed a bunch of fun outings in, this summer. But I think it’s just as important to have a lot of down days like you described, too. I remember as a kid having so much fun staying home and inventing awesome things to do using my imagination. I learned to be able to happily spend time with myself, and my family, and that I didn’t have to be running around all the time, and that has definitely come in handy as an adult. It also keeps me (and our kids) from the “I’m bored!” scenario, when there are actually a million things we could choose to do, if we just get creative around the house. I have had tons of fun with my boys this summer on our stay home days. And doing that sometimes feels like being lazy, but I actually realized that we are teaching our guys something really important in life…we don’t have to depend on outside things to stimulate us and entertain us….we have it all already, we just have to be creative in our own minds. That said, today I reached the point where I am absolutely ready (read, desperate!) for school to start again. The boys tipped over the edge, and are driving me crazy! One week to go….(with a 4 day San Fran trip to fit in before then!). đŸ™‚