15 Nov 2012

This Is Why You Can Buy This Stuff Pre-Made

17 Comments Uncategorized

Crafts. I am not cut out for it. (Cut-out. It’s a craft pun.) I was not meant to do these things. And G doesn’t even really care if we do them or not.

I grew up in a no-craft zone. There was no felt. There were no pipe cleaners. There was construction paper, but you drew on it. You did not cut out shapes. It’s not like I grew up in a house where fun or messes weren’t allowed. They were. We just weren’t a crafty family. Our craft was word-play. We would try to out-pun one another, or make up funny rhymes, come up with new names for businesses in the neighborhood… Or perfect the craft of sarcasm.

G is growing up in a house like that, too. And I love it. But I keep thinking I should at least TRY to squeeze in some craft time. Some “let’s sit next to each other and glue things on other things and make stuff” time.

Well… I shouldn’t. Here is what happened this morning. I promise I will not exaggerate.

I decided G and I should have an easy morning. I’d bring him to school at 10:00 instead of 9:00 today, so we could have one morning where we weren’t rushing, and we could (say it with me) DO A CRAFT.

I thought this napkin ring craft would be super fun and it looked rather easy. I cut out the templates, got out our felt and the fabric glue I bought two days ago, and brought it all to the kitchen table. I also cut 5 toilet paper rolls in half to make it easier to set the rings of felt once they were glued. G was bored already.

I got to work tracing the templates and he got to work cutting out the long rectangles that make the rings. “Can I be done after this?”, he asked like a kid who knows his mom shouldn’t be doing these things. “No”, I answered like a mom determined to be… better. “If you stop after that, then I’m the only one making these napkin rings. And no one cares about napkin rings that Mommy makes. They all want napkin rings that YOU make!”

Let’s not dissect that, okay? He sighed heavily and continued cutting.

Then I got out the fabric glue. The word “cancer” was mentioned at least three times on the label, which I had neglected to read while in my shopping stupor atΒ Michael’s. I opened windows and decided to glue these rings as quickly as possible. I opened the cap, turned it over to pop open the foil and OH MY GOD THE STENCH!! This stuff smelled like it could kill a 300-pound gorilla with one sniff. I quickly put on the funnel cap that the glue is supposed to come out of and started to squeeze the tube. Nothing came out. The freaking hole on the tip on the funnel wasn’t open. I tried to open with a toothpick but the toothpick bent. So I decided to take the funnel off and get a q-tip to put the glue on with. Holding the glue in one hand and the funnel in the other, I made my way to the bathroom and slid on the LASSO Garrett had left in the middle of the floor. Yes, the lasso. I miraculously held myself from falling and dropping the glue to the ground, but instead I flew into the wicker toy chest and scraped my leg pretty good. It is only by the grace of God that no glue flew at my face or hair or ANYTHING.

Back to the table with the q-tips. The q-tips weren’t working, so I quickly abandoned that idea and let the glue flow directly from the tube. After all ten rings were glued I exclaimed, “SCREW THIS STUFF!” and put all glue paraphernalia in a ziplock bag to throw away. As I began the next step, the glue smell permeated the air. I removed the rings to the table outside and wished them well.

Every kind of cancer runs in my family. If you die in my family, it’s from cancer. Even if you get really old, you don’t die of old age… You wait for the cancer. I’m pretty sure I gave myself some kind of glue cancer today, but hopefully it won’t take me until I’m in my 80’s.

Now it was on to the rest of the cut-outs. I interrupted G’s actual fun and asked him to cut out the yellow turkey bodies. He did. Sort of. I finished them. Then I cut out the waddles and asked G to glue those on WITH REGULAR GLUE THAT SMELLS LIKE NOTHING AND DOESN’T GIVE YOU CANCER. He did. Then I excitedly asked if he wanted to glue on the googly eyes. He said he didn’t. I begged. He said no. I begged more. He said, “Okay, I’ll glue one on each turkey and you do the other one.” I thought that was a great compromise. I ignored the fact that we were both completely miserable.

After careful consideration, I thought the napkin rings were better suited for the outdoors, and that maybe we should turn our turkeys into place cards. I convinced Garrett this was wise, and felt good about it.

Later we’re making napkin rings out of pipe cleaners that I bought not knowing what the hell I was going to do with them. That should be good fun, no?

Remind me not to buy any felt or pipe cleaners for Hannukah or Christmas. Or any day, for that matter. I’m not crafty, and I need to be okay with that.

Here’s what the place-cards will pretty much look like:

20121115-113514.jpg

And if one of you even tries to encourage me to “keep crafting”, I’ll punch you with a fist template and stab you with a popsicle stick.

17 Responses to “This Is Why You Can Buy This Stuff Pre-Made”

1. Reply Colleen says:

Oh lady…I’m an RIGHT THERE with ya! I finally got over my need to feel like a more crafty girl this past summer. You know, after I tried that thing from Pinterest that was a complete flop except for the part where I somehow spray painted my entire left hand blue. I believe my Facebook status from that day was “I’ve finally realized I’m not a crafty girl. I’m a sit on the couch and eat Taco Bell while watching Breaking Bad girl.” AMEN.

LOL! AMEN, Colleen!! I just want to be that girl! But I ain’t. Not at all. We made napkin rings out of pipe cleaners today. I think it’ll all make the table look adorable, but it was hilarious!!! Oy. I’m getting over it as I type this…

All the non-crafty Moms and Dads, everywhere, salute YOU! Looking around Pinterest at some of the uber-time wasting, small output crafts…I believe there is a “craft” gene in the DNA, or not. Nothing in-between, either you can or cannot, simple as that, move on! (This also applies to house cleaning, check book balancing and automobile oil changing) Love the turkey!

3. Reply The Flying Chalupa says:

I would NEVER encourage you to craft. That would be like encouraging you to become a Girl Scout Troop Leader. I’m simply happy that you survived – barely. I hope you learned your lesson. πŸ™‚

Chalupa, one of the reasons I am so grateful for having a boy is that I will never, ever have to be a Girl Scout Leader. Worst nightmare. For real.

This was hilarious and I really do think you should keep crafting. πŸ™‚

5. Reply Brandie says:

As someone who LOVES to craft, I say this. I do NOT love to craft with my kids. Directions? Forget it. Patience? Gone. The urge to take over and do it right? Times a billion.
    What I do like to do, though, is buy a ton of cheap supplies (oh yes, cheap, because they are kids and they will use them in 34.5 seconds and I have to also be able to afford the food people) for the kids, dump them all in a box or drawer and let them go at it. While I sit in another room and knit. Eyes, sequins, pipe cleaners, paper, construction paper, stamps, etc. They have fun. I have fun. No one gets stressed or upset. I get to ooh and aah over their projects when they are done. I think kids just want to make. Adults want to make something that can end up on pinterest. So they do their thing. I do mine. And we all lived happily-ever-after.
    Also, I hope you don’t really get glue cancer. That would suck.

Brandie, you are so smart. I think that’s brilliant. If I ever get the urge to craft again (doubtful), I will do this!! He does, by the way, have a whole closet full of crafting stuff he rarely uses. Chip off the ol’ block.

6. Reply Allison says:

I suck as a mom! I gave up on crafts once Sydney painted and glued my wall with cotton balls, glitter and those pipe sticks. I leave it up to that pricey school I pay for now. Such a crafty blog tonight πŸ˜‰

Allison, LOL! That must’ve been lovely. It wouldn’t make a difference in this house. The only art on our walls is G’s artwork anyway!! (And a few amazing paintings my dad did!) But mostly G’s work.

I am a crafty person. I LOVE to try different things, have taken classes, and even taught a few. But its for ME….leave the crafting/ gluing to those teachers at school. They love that stuff, and you dont have to clean up! And they LOVE glitter…better them than you!

I do not craft. It is a form of torture that I avoid at all costs. The mere thought of going into a store like Michael’s breaks me out in hives. I’m with Al: We SALUTE YOU!!

HA! Actually Laura, I love Michael’s! I want everything in the store!! I just have no earthly idea what to do with it when I get it home. πŸ™‚

I think I like the idea of crafting much better than crafting. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and actually try something. Then when I clean up the blood and glitter (no reference to Twilight there at all), I decide that it’s not for me after all.