11 Mar 2013

Looking for Light

7 Comments Uncategorized

I went to temple Friday night for the first time in… A very long time.
It’s funny how whenever I go, I hear at least one thing that resonates with me.
Friday it was this (Or something like this, but probably far more eloquent):

There is light everywhere on this Earth.
If you walk through the world seeking this light, you will find it in many places.

Then the rabbi talked about the person who lets you go ahead of them in line at the grocery store, the driver who lets you in front of them in traffic, a person who holds the door open for you, etc. These are all lights.

These are the kinds of moments that always make me feel a little better about humanity. And when I offer these things into the world, I feel better too.

I’m going to spend this week looking for light everywhere. I know I will find some. And I will try to be some, too.

How do YOU plan on being a light this week? (She says in a New York-Jewish-Mother voice to guilt you into doing something “light-ish”.)

7 Responses to “Looking for Light”

1. Reply Maegan says:

I totally agree.
    I get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of 2 kids and life that I often forget to stop and look for the bright spots. I forget to notice the examples of God’s love all around us, the unending grace.
    The best thing about Light? It reflects…once it hits you, it will bounce off and hit someone else.
    Thanks for the great Monday AM thought!

Maegan, That is beautiful. THE LIGHT REFLECTS!! So perfect. Thank you. And yes, we all get too busy. So glad I could give you a slap on the ass! 😉

For me, knowing that we are all lit from within (the lit that comes from divine love, not the lit that comes from too much wine, although that’s fun to seek and join too) allows me to seek, find, and join the light of others. I am a firm believer in the RAOK, the Random Act Of Kindness. It is my belief that if more and more of us completed, received or passed on a ROAK, then these acts of light wouldn’t be random anymore. They would just be the WOW, the Way Of the World. I’d like to live in a well-lit wow, wouldn’t you?

Christine, I would LOVE to live in that world. The corner of the world I live in is pretty damn well-lit!!

I will be looking for spontaneous ways to be the light. I smile a lot and that helps: smiling when I pass people in the store or walking down the street is an easy way to “be the light”, and you never know when someone might need that friendly face.

I love to smile at everyone, Melisa. I get weird looks sometimes, but sometimes I get a giant smile back. And then my day is made. 🙂 (Big smile for you right there.)

I love the fact that darkness can NOT exist within light. When light shines, darkness is gone. We just have to make sure that we shine and we don’t let the darkness encroach. (That’s my $5 word of the day – encroach.)

Thanks for the reminder! I want to make sure that I’m light in someone’s life – not the one trying to encroach.