16 Aug 2014

For those of you who’ve known me and my blog for a while, you also know that I haven’t posted a Flawless Saturday Question in years. Well, here it is (and most of you will be reading this on Sunday.)

How do you feel about gift certificates as gifts?

Personally, I freaking love them. I rarely spend money on myself because it makes me feel guilty. So, giving me a gift certificate to one of my favorite stores is like giving me an anxiety-free trip to fun town.

I know a lot of people, my husband included, who think gift certificates are cop outs and lazy gift-giving. Although I sincerely think his mind has changed since the advent of the iTunes gift card. So maybe he just didn’t like them until they made one that made sense for him.

What do you think? Lazy? Awesome? Lame? PERFECT?

I really need to know. I have a couple of very important birthdays coming up.

1. Reply Kristy says:

Loooooooveee them! I have a friend who feels the same way as your husband, but of course he is my hardest friend to buy for, so he still gets one from me with a heartfelt card that I write lovely things in and to him that balances things.

I love getting them because I too feel guilty spending on myself. They are perfect for me because if I don’t have an immediate need or want I can save them for when I do or save a few for bigger purchases. My absolute faves to get are Starbucks, because it is so nice to not hafta worry about my bank balance when I feel like a frappacino! Also love Amazon cards.

Thank you, Kristy!! I think mine would be Sephora, Nordstrom, or anywhere I can buy myself ANYTHING!!! 🙂 OOH! TARGET!

2. Reply Lisa Page Rosenberg says:

I love them for the people I want to give a little something to but cash doesn’t feel right; crossing guards, teachers, mailman, garbage guy. My husband isn’t great about using them up, but an Anthroplogie gift card will last in my hands about eight seconds before I spend it. Like any other gift, I think it’s about knowing your recipient. Obviously, I’ve given this too much thought.

No, Lisa. You’ve given it exactly the right amount of thought. Yes, I give them to the mailman, exterminator, etc. Starting to feel those are the ONLY people I should be giving them to!!

3. Reply Allison says:

I think it’s not a lazy gift. It’s a gift of “I don’t know what you want”. My issue w them is forgetting them or back in the day it would expire or worst go out of biz.

Allison, in California they NEVER expire, which is a bonus. I just like that they make me feel NOT guilty for shopping. But others might not appreciate them as much. I look at them as: This is free reign to buy whatever you want!

4. Reply Josh says:

I freaking love them. Both giving and receiving them. (I just don’t give them to Steph or Barbara.)

HA! Yeah, Josh. You and Russ have a good itunes thing going. Which makes him a total hypocrite, frankly. I love them too. But I will also not give them to Steph or Barbara.

5. Reply Maureen E says:

I completely agree with you. I love getting gift cards, for the same reason. It forces you to spend some money on yourself, instead of your family, kids, house, etc. especially if it’s for a favorite restaurant, spa trip, etc. Such a treat! I do think in general if it’s a very close friend you are buying for, it’s a better idea to buy a more personal gift as a rule of thumb, unless you’re caught up in a crazy busy time (which we all have at times) and in that case, a gift card once in a while is a great way to remember their special day without sending you into even more stress trying to find “the perfect gift”. That said, I happen to love Flemings Steak House, aromatherapy massages, and Bed, Bath and Beyond. And if you forgot my birthdate, I’d be happy to remind you. 😉

It depends. We get them, fairly often, to restaurants, nice ones, but we never use them, hardly ever. So we tend to give them away to people who will use and enjoy them. If I received one for myself, to a known favorite shop or at a place we frequent, we appreciate the thoughtfulness. I can see Russell’s point, they CAN be a cop out, but if the person really knows you, and knows your interests, I think it is a great idea. I rarely buy gifts for people unless I know it is something they want, or need, as I hate to think of it taking up space, or worse, not used, or otherwise enjoyed. But, I’m old, and when you have lots of “stuff”….the thought of “more stuff” isn’t as appealing. Yea, gift cards are better.

7. Reply Andy R says:

i’m not a mom and i am far from flawless, am I aloud to reply?
    Well I don’t care
    I am a fan of the gift certificate. I assume most people know what they like better than I do so IF I am stumped on what to get someone, I feel fine getting them a GC.
    That’s a guy perspective, short and simple.

8. Reply Kristin says:

I LOVE them!Love to get them and like to give them. I know people who think they are not personal as well but I think they let the person get EXACTLY what they want. There are so many available now they have something for everybody. Sometimes I pair something small to go with the GC to personalize it or try to wrap it up cute so it feels like they are opening a “gift”.

Of COURSE you do, Kristin. Because you’re one of the most thoughtful people I have ever met. Great idea. LOVE IT!

And now I’m answering on a Tuesday!

I love receiving them (LOVE!) but hesitate a lot before I buy them for other people, and I’m not sure why. I think for certain people it’s easier but for close friends and certain family members I really do enjoy being a little more creative.

But I don’t think it’s lazy at all. AT ALL.

Thank you, Melisa. I think my new tactic is to get rid of people who wouldn’t want a gift card. Problem Solved. 🙂

10. Reply Laurie says:

Coming from someone who just got the most THOUGHTFUL AND PERFECT gift certificate EVER……I say, you know your friends, and sometimes…it’s EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED.
    (this is where I’d leave a million smiley kiss faces if my commuter did that) 🙂

OMG, Laurie!!! LMAO!! You are the best. So funny. You were absolutely the reason for this post, and yet I could NOT not get it for you. 🙂 XO